mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Port Adelaide have completed their best 10 goals of the year. Do you agree with the order? Personally I would have Justin Westhoff's Shanghai goal as first. He has scored this type of goal before so I wouldn't call it a fluke. Sometimes you can be a bit more confident in these shots by him than 45 degree set shots.
But if it's going by sheer theatre value and skill then I would agree with Robbie Gray's.
Robbie is here three times and two of his goals were from perfect taps from Paddy Ryder.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2017-11-13/2017-top-ten-goals

I personally like the blue collar work of the smother and make them pay with a goal stuff from Doogs myself. There should be more of it. Just good honest hardwork and then back yourself in don't look to hand off responsibility.

Also the clever play by Dixon to knock it onto the winged God was also a very nice goal. I couldn't remember it from the season but i have blocked out certain games from my memory.​

Westhoff's goal never got the recognition it was worth due to the game being in Shanghai and against Gold Coast (Lack of camera angles also). If that had been at the MCG involving a name player from a big Malbun club, it would have been replayed a million times and gone close to winning GOTY.

Case in point, 2007, Essendon vs Carlton at the MCG, Matthew Lloyd kicks it with his heel from 2m out directly in front.

Port Adelaide have completed their best 10 goals of the year. Do you agree with the order? Personally I would have Justin Westhoff's Shanghai goal as first. He has scored this type of goal before so I wouldn't call it a fluke. Sometimes you can be a bit more confident in these shots by him than 45 degree set shots.
But if it's going by sheer theatre value and skill then I would agree with Robbie Gray's.
Robbie is here three times and two of his goals were from perfect taps from Paddy Ryder.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2017-11-13/2017-top-ten-goals
What is going on here .. Ah Chee goal being played .. he is, unfortunately not at Port now.
Oh that's right .. We Are Port Adelaide, who honours what a player does during their time at Port.
Not like Adelaide ...:D:p

The Westhoff goals was all arse. I was in line with it at Shanghai but it could have gone anywhere. A goal that wins a game where the kicker struggles to kick set shots from 30m out kicked a clutch goal from 49m out is worthy of GOTY.

The Westhoff goals was all arse. I was in line with it at Shanghai but it could have gone anywhere. A goal that wins a game where the kicker struggles to kick set shots from 30m out kicked a clutch goal from 49m out is worthy of GOTY.

To say it was “all arse” is BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's as much Ryder's goal as it is Robbie's in my opinion. Look at how Ryder uses his other hand to hold and strengthen his wrist. Was a set play executed beautifully. The team work wins it for me.

This. Giving ‘goal of the year’ to Robbie alone seems a bit unfair on Hoff, as you’d see two or three of the goals Robbie kicked per game. But Ryder’s hitout was the real star of the show. I don’t think I’ve seen a better hitout before or since. Unfortunately we can’t award Paddy Ryder with GOTY for a goal that Robbie kicked.

They're the ones Westhoff normally nails though.

Wouldn't surprise me if he does it again one day and kicks a similar goal.

To say it was “all arse” is BS.
It was arse. He just soccered it with a hit and hope. I was there I saw it was going out of bounds and he just threw his leg at the ball. He didnt place the ball or have any control over it like those Daicos dribbles you see. I knew he would get it because he does the freaky s**t all the time, not 100% comes off but more often than not it does. I turned to my brother inlaw and we both were laughing/smiling and both said arse at the same time.

It was arse. He just soccered it with a hit and hope. I was there I saw it was going out of bounds and he just threw his leg at the ball. He didnt place the ball or have any control over it like those Daicos dribbles you see. I knew he would get it because he does the freaky s**t all the time, not 100% comes off but more often than not it does. I turned to my brother inlaw and we both were laughing/smiling and both said arse at the same time.
Na sorry, this is a bad call.

It was lucky that it came off, but it was clearly a calculated decision. Westy could see the way the ball was rolling and knew the angle he'd have to try and hit the ball, and knew the direction he was aiming for. The fact it came off was insanely lucky. It was a 1 in 100 soccer, but the fact of the matter is he intended to do it and he pulled it off.

Is it ass-y well yes, the degree of difficulty was off the charts so yes it was lucky, but did he intend to do it, absolutely he did. Westy is an EXTREMELY smart footballer and for all his laconic s**t, there's no doubt that in the moment Westy didn't just hit and hope, he made a judgement call and went for it.

Na sorry, this is a bad call.

It was lucky that it came off, but it was clearly a calculated decision. Westy could see the way the ball was rolling and knew the angle he'd have to try and hit the ball, and knew the direction he was aiming for. The fact it came off was insanely lucky. It was a 1 in 100 soccer, but the fact of the matter is he intended to do it and he pulled it off.

Is it ass-y well yes, the degree of difficulty was off the charts so yes it was lucky, but did he intend to do it, absolutely he did. Westy is an EXTREMELY smart footballer and for all his laconic s**t, there's no doubt that in the moment Westy didn't just hit and hope, he made a judgement call and went for it.
It's 1 or 2 degrees less arsey than that goal against the Hawks last year the one he stuck his foot out and goaled. Leigh Matthews was right in his call, it might be remarkable but its not very repeatable.

Wouldn't surprise me if he does it again one day and kicks a similar goal.

His career is littered with goals like that.
He's the Jar Jar Binks from the secret Sith Lord fan theory.

His career is littered with goals like that.
He's the Jar Jar Binks from the secret Sith Lord fan theory.

This was a great little warm up to the Shanghai goal. Granted it’s much more of a team effort but it only goes through because Westhoff is a wizard.

The SPP goal against Essendon where he picks it up, fends off and then puts it straight through from 55m is supremely under rated. I would easily have it in my top 10.
SPP also kicked a goal against the Lions at AO where he picked it up in the centre square and dobbed it into an empty goalsquare and it bounced through. He could have run in and had a shot from 40m but he looked like he thought it was better to have a kick straight away as he could be pressured, tire his legs running in or simply think too much about where to place the ball.

Sam Gray's is underrated. Wrong foot from 40 out on impossible angle. Was huge in the context of the match and I went absolutely bananas in the opposite pocket (reckon I can see myself in the footage).

I reckon- Sam Gray for skill/exectuion, Westhoff for freakish one in a million, Ryder2Robbie for clutch.

Also loved seeing that one from SPP against Sydney which just floored me and was the moment i knew this kid is unbelievable. Who does that in their first game?

Back