Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 23 for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it hasn't.

Do people actually just make up things.
The medical substitute is no more after an AFL rule change.
The two-year-old rule of players needing a medical reason to be replaced on the ground will not exist next year.

THE AFL has replaced the medical substitute with a tactical substitute for next year.
As well as the four players on the interchange bench, the medical sub has been replace by a substitution sub.

Where for tactical reasons, it can be used for any purpose, at any stage of the game.

The medical substitute is no more after an AFL rule change.
The two-year-old rule of players needing a medical reason to be replaced on the ground will not exist next year.

THE AFL has replaced the medical substitute with a tactical substitute for next year.
As well as the four players on the interchange bench, the medical sub has been replace by a substitution sub.

Where for tactical reasons, it can be used for any purpose, at any stage of the game.
So it's a sub. Just like the old sub.

They just made it so teams didn't need to fake player injuries to enact it.

so back to a green vest after the old green vest rule got thrown out because it was crap. what happens when tactically you use the sub then 2 mins later someone gets concussed? no sub means teams will be more likely to let them play and say he was fine.... going back to the same old same old

so back to a green vest after the old green vest rule got thrown out because it was crap. what happens when tactically you use the sub then 2 mins later someone gets concussed? no sub means teams will be more likely to let them play and say he was fine.... going back to the same old same old
Doesn't make any sense just have 5 on the bench simple 🤦

Where is Farrell

I put him in the 'he could take a step' but him and Bonner are not my types of players. Nathan Lonie says hi.
I don't think they hold up well in finals. They can be easily smothered.
And yes, Bonner had a great PF against the Bulldogs but that team put their efforts elsewhere.
I prefer balanced players so even Drew who I like defensively and in and under needs to start getting the pill a bit more outside and do some damage.

But when it comes down to it, you never know who puts in the work in the off-season and comes back with a couple of extra strings to the bow.

Pre
Port Adelaide POWER - Round 1 vs Brisbane
F: Georgiades - Dixon - Fantasia
HF: Powell-Pepper - T.Marshall - Horne-Francis
C: Farrell - Wines - Butters
HB: Burton - Aliir - Houston
B: Jonas (C) - Clurey - Burgoyne
R: Lycett - Boak - Rozee
INT: Finlayson - Duursma - Rioli - Byrne-Jones
EMERG: Bonner (SUB) - Drew - Bergman - Teakle

Port Adelaide MAGPIES - Round 1 vs ?
F: Hayes - Teakle - Evans
HF: Sutcliffe (C) - Scully - McEntee
C: Sinn - Drew - Bonner
HB: Jones - McCallum - Bergman
B: Pasini - McKenzie - Williams
R: Visentini - Mead - Dumont
INT: Lord - K.Marshall - Jackson - Barkla
EMERG: H.Montgomery - Francou
DEPTH: Motlop - Cockatoo-Collins - Weidemann - Short - Hagan - Lobbe - N.Moore - E.Moore - Strange - Corcoran - Wilson - Kirk - Turner - Sareen - Butcher - Lee - Kennett - Cheesman - Westbrook - Wildman - Carter - Aldridge - Saunders - Appleton - O.Montgomery

Unavailable: (COVID List: ?)
AFL:
NONE
SANFL:
NONE
Pretty spot on m8 saved me some time lol.
One thing I would like would be getting Bergman in as sub over Bonner.
And if he plays in the 2nds get him in the midfield.

Bergman over Burgoyne?

A quick look. Having all Finlayson, Dixon Marshall, Georgiades, Rioli, Fantasia, JHF, SPP is 8 forwards whilst still having Wines, Boak, Rozee and Butters as onballers

Butters to more of a wing could work with rotations and having JHF/SPP as the 4th and 5th onballers

Most sides generally only have the 4 talls incl ruck whereas yours are all at a level where 5 should probably be picked

Be interesting how its picked if fully fit with Rioli, JHF and fit Fanta in the group

Bergman over Burgoyne?

A quick look. Having all Finlayson, Dixon Marshall, Georgiades, Rioli, Fantasia, JHF, SPP is 8 forwards whilst still having Wines, Boak, Rozee and Butters as onballers

Butters to more of a wing could work with rotations and having JHF/SPP as the 4th and 5th onballers

Most sides generally only have the 4 talls incl ruck whereas yours are all at a level where 5 should probably be picked

Be interesting how its picked if fully fit with Rioli, JHF and fit Fanta in the group
Good point . I think we’ll be rotating Rioli, Fantasia and Georgiades through the bench and injury , Finlayson rotated through the ruck , wing and defence as well as forward and the Hornet and SPP be rotated through the midfield It’s going to make it difficult for Hayes unless Lycett is injured

Port Adelaide MAGPIES - Round 1 vs ?
DEPTH: Motlop - Cockatoo-Collins - Weidemann - Short - Hagan - Lobbe - N.Moore - E.Moore - Strange - Corcoran - Wilson - Kirk - Turner - Sareen - Butcher - Lee - Kennett - Cheesman - Westbrook - Wildman - Carter - Aldridge - Saunders - Appleton - O.Montgomery

AFL:
NONE
SANFL:
NONE

There was an article in this morning's press which advocated Port playing Horne-Francis across half forward which, knowing Ken, is what will probably happen but for once I would like to see us try a young kid in the midfield. We seem to waste several years playing potential midfielders across half forward before moving them into the engine room, Connor Rozee is the latest example. We traded big time to get Horne-Francis so let us see what this kid can do, if he doesn't work out then by all means move him forward.

The other move the scribes were pushing is Mitch Georgiades up field. I am not sure how far up the field they want to go because Mitch did play across half forward numerous times last year. Mitch still has some big gaps in his game one of them is his average recovery. Atm Mitch is a mark and kick player and he would need to improve his ground skills to succeed too far up the ground. I am still not sold on Mitch as he has some real gaps in his game including his shocking conversion rate, 23-24 is not good enough but maybe this year will be the making of him and hopefully we do not get him cherry ripe for West Coast to poach. I think you have him in the correct spot as the no2 tall forward.

They were also on about Finlayson playing in ruck which is fine but I sort of think if we do not have an extended look at Sam Hayes this year we may as well kiss him good bye. I think you have Finlayson in the correct spot on the interchange bench as from there he could pinch hit in ruck or up forward. Hopefully Lycett stays sound but if he goes down we ought to play Hayes and leave Finlayson as the back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was an article in this morning's press which advocated Port playing Horne-Francis across half forward which, knowing Ken, is what will probably happen but for once I would like to see us try a young kid in the midfield. We seem to waste several years playing potential midfielders across half forward before moving them into the engine room, Connor Rozee is the latest example. We traded big time to get Horne-Francis so let us see what this kid can do, if he doesn't work out then by all means move him forward.

The other move the scribes were pushing is Mitch Georgiades up field. I am not sure how far up the field they want to go because Mitch did play across half forward numerous times last year. Mitch still has some big gaps in his game one of them is his average recovery. Atm Mitch is a mark and kick player and he would need to improve his ground skills to succeed too far up the ground. I am still not sold on Mitch as he has some real gaps in his game including his shocking conversion rate, 23-24 is not good enough but maybe this year will be the making of him and hopefully we do not get him cherry ripe for West Coast to poach. I think you have him in the correct spot as the no2 tall forward.

They were also on about Finlayson playing in ruck which is fine but I sort of think if we do not have an extended look at Sam Hayes this year we may as well kiss him good bye. I think you have Finlayson in the correct spot on the interchange bench as from there he could pinch hit in ruck or up forward. Hopefully Lycett stays sound but if he goes down we ought to play Hayes and leave Finlayson as the back up.

With JHF, he’s my 4th choice midfielder, so he’d be in there plenty of times during the game.

I do not think we went to the effort of recruiting Junior Rioli just to have him warm the pine. If everyone stays fit we are actually embarrassed with potential small forwards. I looked at the list and found at least 12 small forward candidates then realised I had forgotten that we recruited Francis Evans and Ken also has this thing about selecting Jed McEntee.

I do not think we went to the effort of recruiting Junior Rioli just to have him warm the pine. If everyone stays fit we are actually embarrassed with potential small forwards. I looked at the list and found at least 12 small forward candidates then realised I had forgotten that we recruited Francis Evans and Ken also has this thing about selecting Jed McEntee.
Jed McEntee will win the Coleman Medal.

Port Adelaide MAGPIES - Trial Game 1 vs North Adelaide

AFL:
NONE
SANFL:
NONE

This is pretty close to how I have it, but I’m waiting for the trial games.

I am stuck on the Burgoyne v Bergman on the half back flank. Given Burgoyne’s injury (although, he is expected back before the season), I have a thinking that Bergman may be favoured.

I get the feeling with blokes missing training to this point, we may start;

F: Georgiades - Dixon - Rioli
HF: Powell-Pepper - Marshall - Horne-Francis
C: Bonner - Wines - Duursma
B: Jonas (C) - Clurey - Burgman
INT: Butters - Finlayson - Drew - Byrne-Jones - Farrell (SUB/5th)

I get the feeling with blokes missing training to this point, we may start;

F: Georgiades - Dixon - Rioli
HF: Powell-Pepper - Marshall - Horne-Francis
C: Bonner - Wines - Duursma
B: Jonas (C) - Clurey - Burgman
INT: Butters - Finlayson - Drew - Byrne-Jones - Farrell (SUB/5th)
Clurey has missed a bunch of training as well. McKenzie might be ahead.

Farrell stiff

Faz is a shoe-in, his kicking is up there with the best in the league. Back 1/2 of '22 he was taking more and more kick-ins and playing

the Amon role of last option as we cleared stoppages. Basically being used as a quarterback to hit targets up the field.

Port Adelaide MAGPIES - Trial Game 1 vs North Adelaide (3 weeks after)

Not bad hey. A lot stronger than last year. Scully at CHF is something to get my propeller spinning and fingers crossed for Sinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back