SANFL

FB: Tom Clurey | Trent McKenzie | Darcy Byrne-Jones
HB: Tom McCallum | Kyle Marshall | Josh Sinn
C: Will Lorenz | Hugh Jackson | Quinton Narkle
R: Jordan Sweet | Jackson Mead | Travis Boak
HF: Jed McEntee | Charlie Dixon | Tom Anastasopoulos
FF: Lachie Charleson | Mitch Georgiades | Dante Visentini
I: Tom Scully | Xavier Walsh

-Hoping once Georgiades gets a few ressies games and is fit and firing, that he can come in for Finlayson
-Have Dixon 5th in line out of our KPFs
-Farrell, Bergman, Burgoyne, Jones, Burton and Houston can rotate between wing and half back, hoping Sinn can eventually get in too
-Have got our general forwards as SPP, Rioli, Evans with our mids also rotating in. Fully expect DBJ and McEntee to be in however
-Also fully expect Boak to be in the side until he reaches 350 at least, but for me not best 22 anymore
-Hoping one of the new kids can take one of those small forward spots and jump Evans, DBJ and McEntee in the pecking order

Houston was elite off the halfback line last year, after having his career nearly stall after moving him to the midfield / wing were he was serviceable but under-utilised …

… and you want to move him back to the wing?

That would be like getting hit in the balls and once the swelling gone down asking someone to try again, harder.

Houston is just far too important and effective from the halfback flank, where he can be a key part of our team and structure.
Yep move Houston to the wing. He was effective at HB for sure, and he would also be effective on a wing. I’m just arguing for arguments sake, that it could be better overall for team balance cause we have a lot of half back types - mostly because we have no other great options on the wing, except for Bergman.

Last year we watched Duursma, Burgoyne, Boak, Sinn all lose 1 on 1s on the wings or miss targets and Wines/Drew too slow to get to contests out there. We played a very 1 dimensional game plan to get to goal - down the guts every time.

Furthermore we were schooled down the wings by Collingwood, Brisbane and the other good teams. Or we would just burn it (with Duursmas kicking, and others).

This year we could play an untried Georgiades on the wing, or Farell again. I’m not so sure this would work.

Yep Houston played an excellent zoning, intercepting behind the ball role, not that dissimilar to Allir the year he won the All Australian too. Maybe another one of our half backs could grow into this role.

Anyway, now he is in the leadership group, and the only leader defender, he probably will just stay in the backline.

I have settled on this for my Round 1 Teams

AFL

FB: Ryan Burton | Esava Ratagolea | Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
HB: Dan Houston | Aliir Aliir | Lachie Jones
C: Kane Farrell | Willem Drew | Miles Bergman
R: Ivan Soldo | Connor Rozee | Zak Butters
HF: Sam Powell-Pepper | Jeremy Finlayson | Jason Horne-Francis
FF: Willie Rioli | Todd Marshall | Ollie Lord
I: Jase Burgoyne | Ollie Wines | Francis Evans | Dylan Williams
S: Darcy Byrne-Jones
E: Mitch Georgiades | Josh Sinn | Travis Boak

SANFL

-Hoping once Georgiades gets a few ressies games and is fit and firing, that he can come in for Finlayson
-Farrell, Bergman, Burgoyne, Jones, Burton and Houston can rotate between wing and half back, hoping Sinn can eventually get in too
-Have got our general forwards as SPP, Rioli, Evans with our mids also rotating in. Fully expect DBJ and McEntee to be in however
-Also fully expect Boak to be in the side until he reaches 350 at least, but for me not best 22 anymore
-Hoping one of the new kids can take one of those small forward spots and jump Evans, DBJ and McEntee in the pecking order
Mac and Cheese in the Magoos????

OIP.Ge_BK0gjeVFHYX7QBM22QgHaFj

:cool:

F ; Rioli Dixon Georgiades
H.F ;SPP Marshall Horne Francis
C ; Farrell Wines Bergman
H. B ; Houston Allir Jones
B ; Burton Ratogalea Zerk Thatcher

Ruck ; Soldo Rozee Butters

Int ; Finlayson , Boak , Drew , Lord

sub Byrne Jones

F ; Rioli Dixon Georgiades
H.F ;SPP Marshall Horne Francis
C ; Farrell Wines Bergman
H. B ; Houston Allir Jones
B ; Burton Ratogalea Zerk Thatcher

Ruck ; Soldo Rozee Butters

Int ; Finlayson , Boak , Drew , Lord

sub Byrne Jones
You think we are going to play all of Dixon, Marshall, MG, Lord and Finlayson in the 22? Absolutely zero chance of that.

Off-season inclusions Ivan Soldo (from Richmond), Jordon Sweet (Western Bulldogs), Esava Ratugolea (Geelong) and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Essendon) have all joined the club, with a focus set to be on who takes on the leading ruck mantle between Soldo, Sweet and youngster Dante Visentini, who made his AFL debut last season.

Carr, who returned to the club last season as an assistant coach after three years at Fremantle, said the coming months would shape how Port sets up its ruck strategy given the acquisitions.

"At the moment we're not doing a lot of stoppage work or anything like that so they're not getting to challenge each other or themselves a lot but we slowly will filter that into the group," Carr told AFL.com.au.

"So far if you just look at them athletically they all get over the ground well and I feel there's a bit of confidence about all three of them, so there's going to be a good competition for the No.1 ruck spot. Then what it looks like from there and how it all fits together I think will naturally work itself out.

Looking at the squad I make the following observations:

Strong depth in the key defender post. Aliir aside I don't think any of them really stand head and shoulders above the rest. I suspect the shiny new toys get first go but really you could argue for a lot of different combinations back there.

We have stacks of half back flankers but it's an easy position so most teams do.

We have a lot of players who 'could' play on the wing but none that are proven wingers.

We have a ridiculously strong midfield but the dilemma is that we have two players who aren't in our best centre square combo who can't play any other position (Wines and Drew) which compromises the three stars somewhat.

Key forwards are similar to key defenders. Lots of players who could do it and do it well but the ranking list is unclear.

Small forwards are an area with not much quality or depth.

Ruck is just Soldo and then a bunch of unproven/part time players.

FB Williams Ratugolea Burton
HB Houston Aliir Farrell
C Bergman Wines Drew
Fol Soldo Rozee Butters
HF SPP Marshall JHF
FF Finlayson Dixon Rioli

Int: Jones, Boak, Burgoyne, DBJ

Interchange is flexible but think that starting 18 should be rock solid. Any of Narkle, BZT, Georgiades, Lord, McKenzie, Sinn, Sweet, Evans or McEnteee could step in on any given week without hurting the team.

The spine and midfield is where games are won and we have that now.

I have settled on this for my Round 1 Teams

AFL

FB: Ryan Burton | Esava Ratagolea | Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
HB: Dan Houston | Aliir Aliir | Lachie Jones
C: Kane Farrell | Willem Drew | Miles Bergman
R: Ivan Soldo | Connor Rozee | Zak Butters
HF: Sam Powell-Pepper | Jeremy Finlayson | Jason Horne-Francis
FF: Willie Rioli | Todd Marshall | Ollie Lord
I: Jase Burgoyne | Ollie Wines | Francis Evans | Dylan Williams
S: Darcy Byrne-Jones
E: Mitch Georgiades | Josh Sinn | Travis Boak

SANFL

How I wish you are correct, I would be working Finlayson to a wing with Farrell (or Jones) to the bench and Wines/Boak into a forward Pocket, Lord to CHF. MG once fit will move in as injuries hit, to move into the Forward Pocket.

Donuts will play Dixon over Lord though, DBJ will play over Burgoyne and Williams, unfortunately.

I want our 22 to be missing Dixon,DBJ,McKenzie,Clurey and Mac Cheese
Even Boak and Wines could miss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FF Rioli, Lord, Finlayson

HF Horne-Francis, Marshall, Powell-Pepper

C Bergman, Rozee, Farrell

HB Aliir, Zerk-Thatcher, Houston

FB Williams, Ratogulea, Burton

RUCK
Soldo
Wines
Butters

INT Drew, Jones, Dixon, Boak

Emerg - Sinn, Georgiades, Sweet, Evans, Byrne-Jones

Last edited:
AFL
F Evans Finlayson Georgiades
HF Powell-Pepper Lord Rioli
C Horne-Francis Rozee Bergman
HB Houston Aliir Burton
B Williams Ratugolea Zerk-Thatcher
R Soldo Butters Wines
I Boak, Drew, Jones, Byrne-Jones, Farrell

SANFL
F Visentini Dixon Mcentee
HF Lorenz T Marshall Anastasoupoulos
C Burgoyne Moore Narkle
HB Clurey K Marshall McKenzie
B Scully McCallum Sinn
R Sweet Jackson Mead
I Charelson Walsh and top ups

Last edited:
AFL
F Evans Finlayson Georgiades
HF Powell-Pepper Lord Rioli
C Horne-Francis Rozee Bergman
HB Houston Aliir Burton
B Williams Ratugolea Zerk-Thatcher
R Soldo Butters Wines
I Boak, Drew, Jones, Byrne-Jones, Farrell

SANFL
F Visentini Dixon Mcentee
HF Lorenz T Marshall Anastasoupoulos
C Burgoyne Moore Narkle
HB Clurey K Marshall McKenzie
B Scully McCallum Sinn
R Sweet Jackson Mead
I Charelson Walsh and top ups

The sanfl side looks pretty solid & balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Looked at the side in the 'Tiser the other day.
What an idiotic journo.

Wines and Drew on the wings! WTF?
Three talls and no crumbers on the FF line! WTF?

Most of the sides in this post by members are far better balanced and logical.
The journo clearly has never seen Port play nor investgated our roster in any meaningful level.

Williams needs to start, his precision kicks & footy smarts off half back are valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I guess it’s Jones or Williams or Burton or Williams , Jones has the most pace and run and carry I think you can play two of the three at once followed by Burton then Williams Jones is the best one on one followed by Burton then Williams . Williams is the best mark followed by Burton then Jones . Williams is the best kick followed by Burton and then Jones ,
I think you can play two of the three in the same side , I’m struggling to know which one misses out

I guess it’s Jones or Williams or Burton or Williams , Jones has the most pace and run and carry I think you can play two of the three at once followed by Burton then Williams Jones is the best one on one followed by Burton then Williams . Williams is the best mark followed by Burton then Jones . Williams is the best kick followed by Burton and then Jones ,
I think you can play two of the three in the same side , I’m struggling to know which one misses out
I would query whether Burton was better than Williams one on one.

I would query whether Burton was better than Williams one on one.
I wouldn't mind seeing what Burton could do as a high half forward and George playing deeper. Which of course means no Dixon,Byrne-Jones, Mac and Cheese or Lord starting in the team.

Georgiades Marshall Rioli
Powell-Pepper Finlayson Burton

to me that looks offensively dangerous and a 15 goal forward line

F: Georgie Lord Rioli
HF: Butters Marshall SPP
C: Berger. Wines. Finlayson
HB: Williams Alir. Houston
B: Jones. Evsa. BZT
R: Soldo. Rozee. JHF
Int: Farrell, Boak, Drew, Sinn

Screw DBJ and Dixon

That’s it bitches

F: Georgie Lord Rioli
HF: Butters Marshall SPP
C: Berger. Wines. Finlayson
HB: Williams Alir. Houston
B: Jones. Evsa. BZT
R: Soldo. Rozee. JHF
Int: Farrell, Boak, Drew, Sinn

Screw DBJ and Dixon

That’s it bitches
ye dont put our best mid on ball

F: Powell-Pepper - Finlayson - Georgiades
HF: Rioli - Marshall - Horne-Francis
C: Drew - Butters - Boak
HB: Houston - Aliir - Bergman
B: McKenzie - Ratugolea - Jones
R: Soldo - Rozee - Wines
I: Farrell, Sinn, Burgoyne, Williams
Don’t mind this - I think only change id put Lord in, play Finlayson (or Georgi) as a tall utility off the bench, and drop Williams.

I guess BZT gonna need to show something to get the Cannon out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back