News Pick trade - future first for 23 and future second

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that folx need to accept that with our ascendant midfield, we are not going to finish below 6th for the next 5 years. This will (undeservingly) reflect on Padre Zeppole, but our draft futures trading should nonetheless be favourable.
liked for Padre Zeppole

Some of us were accused of bed wetting during the 2016 preseason games. Those throwing around the bed wetting insults and criticisms might not have wet the bed, but they’ve spent the past 7 years cleaning the dripping egg from their faces. Don’t make the same mistake. With this off-field regime (executive, admin, coaching, list management), the bed wetting response has been the most justified one for at least 9 of the pasr 11 years.
None of this is relevant to trading a fringe player who will never be the player we hoped.

I had had enough of Hinkley after one of thr Sydney (away) or Melbourne (home) debacles in 2016. The writing was on the wall.

Trading is perhaps the only area at this club that is performing at an acceptable level, barring a couple of examples where we had badly overpaid (Ryder immediately comes to mind). We haven't completely stuffed our list in the last 10 years, though it's usually had holes.

Duursma will not be a big loss in the scheme of things, so yes I believe there is a large overreaction by some at the prospect of him being traded. It's either emotional attachment or FOMO.

None of this is relevant to trading a fringe player who will never be the player we hoped.

I had had enough of Hinkley after one of thr Sydney (away) or Melbourne (home) debacles in 2016. The writing was on the wall.

Trading is perhaps the only area at this club that is performing at an acceptable level, barring a couple of examples where we had badly overpaid (Ryder immediately comes to mind). We haven't completely stuffed our list in the last 10 years, though it's usually had holes.

Duursma will not be a big loss in the scheme of things, so yes I believe there is a large overreaction by some at the prospect of him being traded. It's either emotional attachment or FOMO.
Do you understand what fringe player means? He had a starting 18 position on the wing. Despite having an recovery stint for a torn PCL he still played 16 games.

22 becomes 23 (Dodee compo) will be for Esava + other stuff some how will get packaged up IMO.

We have now traded out our 1st pick in 2022 - for JHF, 2023 - for JHF and 2024 - this deal.

We have to get an F1 in 2024 under AFL rules unless they somehow give us a dispensation, which wont happen.

So the club will push to get a 1st Rd pick for either Duursma this year, doubt that happens, or trade someone in 2024 for a 1st Rd pick. Guess I should look up who is coming out of contract in 2024 they will either trade out, or are getting the vibe will leave the club.

If like me, you don't understand how Freo's 2nd Rd pick can be 22, which was adjusted for Doedee compo to 23, when they finished 15th, we aren't getting their 2nd Rd pick but the priority pick North got, who also got a a 3rd Rd priority pick and were told they had to trade them for experienced players. They did that with Freo for the Logue + Tucker trade which had a couple of steak knife picks thrown in by each club. North also got a priority pick at start of 2nd Rd they didn't have to trade.

Lore's great 2023 Provisional Draft Order thread she has been updating every week since the season started, explains it all when you click Draft Order spreadsheet on her pinned post.

1696829842956.png

On the surface it doesn’t seem like a good pick swap especially if next year is a bad year, will have to see what we get as it all plays out.

Ryder, Dixon, Watts, Rockliff, Trengove. Lol.

This all looks like a movie I've seen before.
Motlop, Thomas, Toumpas

The sad part is, and I hope I'm proven wrong, but I could make a stronger case for taking a punt on every single one of them more than I can for Zerk "gets a bag kicked on me every week" Thatcher. Outside of "tall" and "plays in the backline", what attribute does he supposedly have?

Big Greyhound fan maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vomit throw up GIF by Andrey Kasay

How did Duursma become so good so fast.
Yeah he played 16 games last year because we had nobody any better to replace him with.
FFS 6 years is long enough, on ya way Laddie.

I’m a bit confused as to how he’s gone from a superb debut year where he was the second-best of the three rookies and seemed a lock to be a 200-game wingman — and the better part of the Wingard trade — to a Riley Bonneresque disposable figure, despite only being 23.

I’d be more inclined to blame the individual if he wasn’t just the latest example of an excellent prospect mysteriously throat-deep in mediocrity and seemingly worthless, under this regime.

I’m a bit confused as to how he’s gone from a superb debut year where he was the second-best of the three rookies and seemed a lock to be a 200-game wingman — and the better part of the Wingard trade — to a Riley Bonneresque disposable figure, despite only being 23.

I’d be more inclined to blame the individual if he wasn’t just the latest example of an excellent prospect mysteriously throat-deep in mediocrity and seemingly worthless, under this regime.
I honestly don’t believe he’s ever 100% recovered from that Richmond game.

22 becomes 23 (Dodee compo) will be for Esava + other stuff some how will get packaged up IMO.

We have now traded out our 1st pick in 2022 - for JHF, 2023 - for JHF and 2024 - this deal.

We have to get an F1 in 2024 under AFL rules unless they somehow give us a dispensation, which wont happen.

So the club will push to get a 1st Rd pick for either Duursma this year, doubt that happens, or trade someone in 2024 for a 1st Rd pick. Guess I should look up who is coming out of contract in 2024 they will either trade out, or are getting the vibe will leave the club.

If like me, you don't understand how Freo's 2nd Rd pick can be 22, which was adjusted for Doedee compo to 23, when they finished 15th, we aren't getting their 2nd Rd pick but the priority pick North got, who also got a a 3rd Rd priority pick and were told they had to trade them for experienced players. They did that with Freo for the Logue + Tucker trade which had a couple of steak knife picks thrown in by each club. North also got a priority pick at start of 2nd Rd they didn't have to trade.

Lore's great 2023 Provisional Draft Order thread she has been updating every week since the season started, explains it all when you click Draft Order spreadsheet on her pinned post.

View attachment 1826331
I may be wrong on this, but doesn't having JHF and Sinn as first rounders in 2021 satisfy the "2 first round draft picks over a 4 year period"? Therefore, we were able to trade our future first with no worries.

I may be wrong on this, but doesn't having JHF and Sinn as first rounders in 2021 satisfy the "2 first round draft picks over a 4 year period"? Therefore, we were able to trade our future first with no worries.
The rules state you must make two picks, not just bring in first rounders.

We didn't draft JHF using our 1st round.

Where in the rules does it say giving up/trading a 1st round pick for a 1st round player drafted by someone else count as drafting a player with a 1st round pick?

That being said, the AFL would be pleased to see us blowing ourselves up. I can't imagine they will have too many qualms about giving us special dispensation to further destroy the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back