News Grand Final at the Craypot

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like you’ve made the mistake of looking up the actual quotes rather than reading headlines.

You can hear them here

5 mins in, clearly says at 80% vax rate he "retains the right" to close borders.

That seems directly at odds with Phase C of the 4-step plan posted above. Its isn't sensationalist or headline grabbing to be reporting it. Its an issue that needs clarifying.

Last edited:
And this is where the issue is. That's not what was sold to the public.

C. Consolidation Phase
Manage COVID-19 consistent with public health management of other infectious diseases. Measures may include:

No lockdowns;
Continue vaccine booster programme;
Exempt vaccinated residents from all domestic restrictions;
Abolish caps on returning vaccinated travellers;
Allow increased capped entry of student, economic, and humanitarian visa holders;
Lift all restrictions on outbound travel for vaccinated persons; and
Extend travel bubble for unrestricted travel to new candidate countries (Singapore, Pacific).
The important part of that is "Measures may include".

The weasel word "may" means nothing has been agreed. It's something the group responsible for publishing the statement would like to happen, but also either do not want to be, or cannot be, bound to.

It was noted at the time of release of the press statement that no part of this plan had any substance to the actions, or any specific targets to reach before transition between phases would occur.

Its an issue that needs clarifying.
You're absolutely right. The federal government needs to clarify their transition plan.

The important part of that is "Measures may include".

The weasel word "may" means nothing has been agreed. It's something the group responsible for publishing the statement would like to happen, but also either do not want to be, or cannot be, bound to.

It was noted at the time of release of the press statement that no part of this plan had any substance to the actions, or any specific targets to reach before transition between phases would occur.

You're absolutely right. The federal government needs to clarify their transition plan.

Agreed. And McGowan needs to clarify whether he'll follow it or do his own thing. And if his own thing, what his transition plan. It can't be to stay shut off forever surely

Both Federal and State Governments need to be a lot clearer on where we are heading with this thing. I contrast their lack of clarity with the UK, which promised to lessen a tonne of restrictions once they hit 70-80% full vaccination. That helped focus people on the target and they were able to deliver in late July.

I feel like our politicians are super afraid of criticism and are just meandering along, hoping the rest of the world will show them the way.

Both Federal and State Governments need to be a lot clearer on where we are heading with this thing. I contrast their lack of clarity with the UK, which promised to lessen a tonne of restrictions once they hit 70-80% full vaccination. That helped focus people on the target and they were able to deliver in late July.

I feel like our politicians are super afraid of criticism and are just meandering along, hoping the rest of the world will show them the way.

This is the issue with a pandemic.

State governments have responsibility for health and normally health issues remain in state.

A pandemic transcends state borders and that is why we are seeing different strategies applied by state governments.

Methinks the national cabinet concept needs to enshrined in statutes, laws etc and gets enacted when fires, pandemics etc cross borders.

And decisions are ‘locked in’ and followed by all.

Not a political statement - has a place irrespective of colours of governments.

I'm not looking forward to discovering the depths of depravity I'll be willing to hit in order to get my hands on a ticket to an Optus Grand Final :(

I thought I'd be a lot more excited about the prospect than I am. And that's when I was heavily considering going to the GF in Melbourne this year if travel was open and flowing.

Footy has lost its shine a little, kinda since the Olympics. Tuned out for a fortnight, didn't miss it, have been watching less and less neutral games. Feels like the year a team might just Bradbury it which takes the shine off watching a couple of genuine powerhouses flex against one another.

This will be no different to last year

McGowan is not going to buy the Grand Final off the AFL like QLD did

Will be pissed at our pea heart efforts if it does come here and we're not even in the finals

A pandemic transcends state borders and that is why we are seeing different strategies applied by state governments.

Methinks the national cabinet concept needs to enshrined in statutes, laws etc and gets enacted when fires, pandemics etc cross borders.

At the risk of derailing the thread, that would unfortunately probably require constitutional change, and changes to the Constitution have been notoriously difficult to get done - something like 32 out of 40 referendums have failed.

I thought I'd be a lot more excited about the prospect than I am. And that's when I was heavily considering going to the GF in Melbourne this year if travel was open and flowing.

Footy has lost its shine a little, kinda since the Olympics. Tuned out for a fortnight, didn't miss it, have been watching less and less neutral games. Feels like the year a team might just Bradbury it which takes the shine off watching a couple of genuine powerhouses flex against one another.
I would love to see a GWS vs Brisbane GF.

Melbourne and Dogs knocked out in straight sets.

Cats and Power choke in the prelim (what's new?).

Delicious.

I would love to see a GWS vs Brisbane GF.

Melbourne and Dogs knocked out in straight sets.

Cats and Power choke in the prelim (what's new?).

Delicious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I, like others, have lost a bit of interest in the AFL this year and I'm struggling to get excited about the finals and at this point in time couldn't give a stuff if any or all of them are in WA. The fact that the eagles have been so disappointing might have something to do with it, but then again it might not. Having said that, I reckon that when finals comes around my enthusiasm will return. It's normally a pretty exciting time of the season, and if they're at Optus and I can get tickets then I will probably be in.

Still, for mine, it would be a big punt for the AFL to commit to have the finals here. We're one delta case away from having a another lockdown, and it's coming. When that is though, who knows?

AFL are desperate for big crowds at finals and to maintain the illusion of fixture integrity for Victorian fans.

We don't want Covid.

The WA government should be playing the hardest of hard-ball and not give an inch. Not having the grand final here is a totally acceptable outcome.
Give them the GF. Let their wives come in with no quarantining.

Give us back our WA top 2 compensation picks. :)

Joshua Dawe

@joshuadawe9

·
3m

I've definitely noticed some more positivity and confidence from Mark McGowan when it comes to WA's finals bid, albeit slight! Perth hosting preliminary finals presents a strong case for both integrity and the 'Grand Final Week' package
@9NewsPerth

Joshua Dawe

@joshuadawe9

·
3m

-4 teams/staff arrive Sep 5 after semi-finals to begin quarantine -'Dirty' prelims on 10th-11th so qualifying winners avoid long 2 week break -Pre-finals bye -GF teams complete quarantine on 20th -AFL has parade, Brownlow etc. in Perth -60,000 fans for 'clean' game on 25th.

Given Port are now assured of two home finals, it’s interesting that Adelaide Oval doesn’t seem to have much chance of hosting the grand final. Something to do with the SA govt’s Covid approach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back