Competitions Greatest St.Kilda player of all-time [Semifinals]

Who moves onto the Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If you've never seen the best of Plugger at the Saints see if you can track down these matches ...

1989 R2 St Kilda v Carlton at Moorabbin - Plugger 18 kicks, 13 marks, 10 goals 7 points against SOS, full-back of the century. STK 96 CARL 92
1991 R7 St Kilda v Adelaide at Moorabbin - First visit of the Crows to Moorabbin, Plugger returning from injury (I think?) 19 kicks, 15 marks, 12 goals, 6 points. STK 162 ADEL 31.
1991 Elim Final Geelong v St Kilda at VFL Park - Plugger 14 kicks, 11 marks, 9 goals, 5 points, (Billy Brownless 16K, 9M, 8G, 3P), GEEL 104 STK 97

There are lots more and these are three of Plugger's inaccurate matches but three that I particularly remember, especially the two at Moorabbin.

You remember him terrorising Nigel Smart and Ben Hart in 1992?
His first game back after 6 week suspension if I remember correctly? Went on to kick 127 goals that year in I think 17 games.

Edit - My mistake it was '91

If you've never seen the best of Plugger at the Saints see if you can track down these matches ...

1989 R2 St Kilda v Carlton at Moorabbin - Plugger 18 kicks, 13 marks, 10 goals 7 points against SOS, full-back of the century. STK 96 CARL 92

(My old man in the crowd at 16:36, top right dark blue shirt giving it to Craig Bradley lol)

1991 Elim Final Geelong v St Kilda at VFL Park - Plugger 14 kicks, 11 marks, 9 goals, 5 points, (Billy Brownless 16K, 9M, 8G, 3P), GEEL 104 STK 97

1991 R7 St Kilda v Adelaide at Moorabbin - First visit of the Crows to Moorabbin, Plugger returning from injury (I think?) 19 kicks, 15 marks, 12 goals, 6 points. STK 162 ADEL 31.

There are lots more and these are three of Plugger's inaccurate matches but three that I particularly remember, especially the two at Moorabbin.
Had 9 at half time against the crows in that game. His first for the year. Then ran out of puff.

Not that it really matters, and I'm enjoying this battle, but why was 1 & 3 on the same side of the bracket and 2 & 4 on the other. Shouldn't it have been 1 & 4 and 2 & 3?

Not that it really matters, and I'm enjoying this battle, but why was 1 & 3 on the same side of the bracket and 2 & 4 on the other. Shouldn't it have been 1 & 4 and 2 & 3?
I wanted to make it so the guys who got the most nominations got the easier road to the finals as most tournaments do it, however I think I simply forgot to adjust it after the Round of 16 lol.

Still, the top 4 made it in and don't think it would've gone any differently.

Roo gets the knob for mine over Lockett, simply because of his unmatched loyalty to the club...
That's one way to get more father/sons...

Was it Fox from Essendon he nearly choked to death?
Yeah Brad Fox was his name.
My brother used to work with him. He said he literally thought he was gonna die.
When it happend Stewie Loewe was heard to be yelling out " Stop Plugger, your gonna kill him".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polls will close on Saturday at 6pm (Vic time) just FYI.

In the event of a tie at 6pm (Vic time), there will be an additional hour given to vote on the tied match-up. If after an hour it's still tied then the player who gets the next vote will win.

His first game back after 6 week suspension if I remember correctly? Went on to kick 127 goals that year in I think 17 games.

Edit - My mistake it was '91

I was at that game and I remember my old man was in Sydney and missed it. We actually still have the old official afl video of that game as it was so good.....Bruce Macaveny was on fine form that day, "wouldn't it be marvellous if he could kick it to the big fella"

From memory Nicky Winmar, Harves and Plugger were all back that game after missing the previous week(s)

Guys it has to be Plugger over Roo as much as I love Roo. Have never seen a player like Plugger - he was a deadset freak!!

I spoke to David Honeybun, (ex Richmond) at the driving range last year and he told me some stories. He said Plugger far and away the best and that is from an ex AFL player!!!

Plugger kicked all those goals in a crap side who finished at the bottom of the ladder for most of his career. That is why he is better than Dunstall, (Piggy to be fair has said this too).

I understand that younger posters who didn't see Plugger dont know the brilliance, (like Snake said I am a poster in my (very early lol) 40's) so I've seen both Roo and Plugger and whilst they are both deadset legends of the club and players - there is only one Tony Lockett. He edges Roo.

This should have been the grand final rather than the semi.

Banger easily in the other one...

I think you guys over 40 put plugger on a pedestal.
You went through hard times in the 80s, and plugger was the light at the end of the tunnel and a messiah.

And like old people refuse to accept music that was created after they turned 30 because it was different and will never be as good as the music from their own generation, same goes for sports.

Plugger unreal full forward. Prolific goalkicker. Best of all time.(although some would argue coleman)

Riewoldt arguably best CHF of all time.
Arguably our greatest captain.
6x b&f in our most successful period since the 60s.
By the time hes finished he will be close to playing twice as many games with us.
Greatest saint of all time.

Hopefully in 10 years time some young buck will be pleading Paddys case!

Saints fans and neutrals went to Moorabbin just to watch Plugger play. Nobody goes to the footy just to watch Roo play. Plugger was a freak of a footballer and Roo is a star footballer. Plugger is streets ahead of Roo in my book. Best footballer I've ever seen. Better than Lethal, Carey and Abblett.

Plugger may well be the greatest full forward of all time - actually, he is. But Riewoldt is a true Saint, he could have left for a flag so many times but he stuck with us through the good times and the bad. Our most decorated player, his list of achievements does not end and the way he's been able to evolve his game to keep up with the modern game is unbelievable. He's reinvented himself as a fantastic midfielder and is still our most dangerous forward, there aren't many people that have ever been able to do that. Roo has to win it for me

Plugger may well be the greatest full forward of all time - actually, he is. But Riewoldt is a true Saint, he could have left for a flag so many times but he stuck with us through the good times and the bad. Our most decorated player, his list of achievements does not end and the way he's been able to evolve his game to keep up with the modern game is unbelievable. He's reinvented himself as a fantastic midfielder and is still our most dangerous forward, there aren't many people that have ever been able to do that. Roo has to win it for me

All true. I guess it all depends on the weighting given to character and loyalty. Plugger was IMO a better player but Roo wins on everything else.

Back