Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea, well that it is ridiculous then, in the weekly thread my first reaction was it was soft but its what the refs are looking for, QB's falling on their side/one arm to brace themselves and a player following through on the tackle.
Even Brady didnt get the call for the same thing. that call cost us the game

Packers CEO and president Mark Murphy downplayed the tension between Aaron Rodgers and coach Mike McCarthy.

Rodgers has been critical of the Packers' offense this year, calling the team's play in last week's win over Buffalo "not acceptable." There have been rumblings of a rift between Rodgers and his head coach, but Murphy isn't buying it. "I think they've had a great relationship," said Murphy. "The most important thing, they both want the same thing—they want us to win and obviously score as many points as possible." Part of the problem for Green Bay is that the receiving corps has been running on fumes with injuries to Randall Cobb (hamstring) and Geronimo Allison (concussion, hamstring) among others. Luckily Rodgers' health has improved significantly as the two-time MVP was finally removed from the injury report this week after struggling with knee issues early in the year.

Source: NFL.com

Interesting to see how we go from here.

Offense might click but I'm fed up with McCarthy

It's amazing how we can continue to waste one one of the best talents seen at the qb position. Rodgers surely must go to sleep and think what do I need to do and that's with him being a bit off with some simple throws most look likely due to the knee issue

It's amazing how we can continue to waste one one of the best talents seen at the qb position. Rodgers surely must go to sleep and think what do I need to do and that's with him being a bit off with some simple throws most look likely due to the knee issue
One thing I've been reading a lot online that Rodgers is missing a lot of open receivers (as in not scanning the field properly) and is looking for the big play too often and extending plays unnecessarily. This all seems to have stemmed from the game in Denver when they utterly poleaxed us and our offence didn't recover for a good year.

Packers great Jim Taylor dies at 83
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 13, 2018, 1:31 PM EDT
jimtaylor1-e1539451849332.jpg

Wikipedia

Jim Taylor, a Hall of Fame running back best remembered for his role on Vince Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers, has died at the age of 83.

Taylor was known as a fierce competitor who would run over, around or through an opponent, and he won a league MVP award and played on the 1966 Packers team that won the first Super Bowl.

Born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in 1935, Taylor played his college football at LSU. He was a first-team All-American in 1957, and the Packers chose him with the 15th overall pick in the 1958 NFL draft.

At first Taylor was used sparingly in Green Bay, but when Lombradi arrived in 1959 he turned Taylor into a workhorse back, and by 1960 Taylor led the league in rushing attempts. Lombardi was partial to the “Packers sweep,” which he famously diagrammed on a chalkboard describing “a seal here, and a seal here,” with Taylor’s job being to “run this play in the alley.”

Taylor ran in the alley enough that in 1962 he led the NFL in rushing and then led the Packers to a 16-7 win over the Giants in the NFL Championship Game at Yankee Stadium. By 1966 he had become the league’s top rusher (thanks to the retirement of Jim Brown), and in Super Bowl I he scored a touchdown, which he characteristically credited to the offensive line.

“It was just good blocking on a weak-side sweep play,” Taylor said. “It’s a cakewalk when you get the blocking. It was just like we had been doing the last five or six years.”

But if Taylor was happy with his offensive line, he was increasingly unhappy in Green Bay, and after playing on a series of one-year contracts Taylor refused to sign the option deal the Packers were offering him.

“I liked to play the game,” Taylor recalled in a New York Times interview in 1982, “but I also was a man trying to provide a comfortable living and a good future for myself and my family. I remember going to Vince Lombardi when I was at my peak and trying to negotiate for more money. Lombardi was a tough negotiator. And why not? He held all the cards in the deck. I’d say, ‘Well, I was all-pro for these many years, and I think I deserve such and such.’ He’d say, ‘Well, we’re going to pay you this amount, and if you’re not happy, Jim, then go play out your option.’ He knew, of course, that playing out your option and trying to sell your services on the free market in football was just about impossible. The owners banded together and wouldn’t make a bid.”

When the expansion New Orleans Saints began play in his home state, Taylor saw his opportunity, with a new owner of a new team who would want to sign a hometown star. It was almost unheard of for a player in those days to leave one team and sign with another, and the Saints were forced to give the Packers a first-round draft pick as compensation for signing Taylor away. But Taylor got his wish of going home, and he also demonstrated that a player could negotiate just as hard as management did.

Taylor, then, will be remembered both as an all-time great player on the field, and as a player who was smart enough off the field to recognize the value he brought to a team. Taylor was ahead of his time.

One thing I've been reading a lot online that Rodgers is missing a lot of open receivers (as in not scanning the field properly) and is looking for the big play too often and extending plays unnecessarily. This all seems to have stemmed from the game in Denver when they utterly poleaxed us and our offence didn't recover for a good year.

Rodgers has far too much experience to allow a single game to affect the way he plays that much.

Is he still nursing injury whereby he's not wanting to get hurt more & thereby taking the lower % plays?

Rodgers has been missing a heap of wide open players. even some for TDs.

The playcalling has been s**t, but Rodgers has also been playing bad. i dont know how much is the knee.
If Rodgers played better and didnt have the 2 massive fumbles in the first half we would of won lastweek. because on all the drives where Crosby missed kicks Rodgers had targets he should of hit but either missed or didnt see/didnt take.

He doesnt need to extend plays since he cant move right with the knee. we should be calling more quick plays and stop calling draws on 3rd and long.

I remember when 3rd and long we would still pass and try to get the first down. now they are give up plays to get a shorter punt in.

its time for McCarthy to go. its just gone stale now. and the playcalling isnt creative.

Ty Montgomery: I don’t intentionally disobey orders
Posted by Charean Williams on October 29, 2018, 7:50 PM EDT
ap_18301854824483-e1540848479194.jpg

AP

Ty Montgomery insists he did not intentionally disobey coaches’ orders to take a knee on a kickoff in the end zone. The Packers running back defended his decision to run the ball out, saying he was unsure how close to the field of play he was.

Montgomery was 2 yards deep when caught the kickoff with 2:05 remaining. He reached the Green Bay 20 before Ramik Wilson forced Montgomery to fumble with Wilson recovering the fumble. Aaron Rodgers never saw the ball again as the Rams picked up a first down and ran out the clock on a 29-27 victory.

“He said the same thing he always says, ‘Catch the return, and if it’s in the end zone, keep it in the end zone.'” Montgomery said in video posted by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “. . . At that point in time, I stood where I always stood. I had a returnable ball, so I made a split-second decision on, I don’t know if this is going to land on the goal line, so I’m not going to take a knee on the goal line, at the half-yard line and take a chance on putting the game in the ref’s hands. Unfortunately, I ended up fumbling the football, but I’ve never been a guy that completely disobeys what I’ve been told. I think you can ask a lot guys in the locker room. That’s not what I do. That’s not the kind of man I am. That’s not the kind of person I am.”

Montgomery also defended himself against charges that he acted out of selfishness.

Several Packers players anonymously called out Montgomery in a story written by Mike Silver of NFL Media. Silver’s report mentions a tantrum thrown by Montgomery after being removed from the game on the previous series.

Montgomery admitted Monday he was frustrated when he was pulled during the Packers’ last offensive series and was unsure of his role on the team. But Montgomery was adamant that had nothing to do with his decision on the kickoff.

The questions now become: Where does Montgomery stand with his teammates? Where do the Packers stand with Montgomery?

Montgomery does not sound as if he will soon get over the “backlash” from teammates.

“We talk about being brothers,” Montgomery said. “We talk about being family and keeping things in house, in house and this, that and the other, and that’s not what happened. I don’t know. Maybe that’s what they do in their family, but that’s not what I do in mine.

“No one ever said anything to me. No one ever came to me. So I’m thoroughly disappointed in the speculation and just the backlash that I have to deal with now, because now we’re talking about my character. We’re not even talking about the fumble any more. We’re talking about my character.”

Cornerback Tramon Williams insistedMonday that Montgomery did not act out of selfishness.

Ty Montgomery: I don’t intentionally disobey orders
Posted by Charean Williams on October 29, 2018, 7:50 PM EDT
ap_18301854824483-e1540848479194.jpg

AP

Ty Montgomery insists he did not intentionally disobey coaches’ orders to take a knee on a kickoff in the end zone. The Packers running back defended his decision to run the ball out, saying he was unsure how close to the field of play he was.

Montgomery was 2 yards deep when caught the kickoff with 2:05 remaining. He reached the Green Bay 20 before Ramik Wilson forced Montgomery to fumble with Wilson recovering the fumble. Aaron Rodgers never saw the ball again as the Rams picked up a first down and ran out the clock on a 29-27 victory.

“He said the same thing he always says, ‘Catch the return, and if it’s in the end zone, keep it in the end zone.'” Montgomery said in video posted by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “. . . At that point in time, I stood where I always stood. I had a returnable ball, so I made a split-second decision on, I don’t know if this is going to land on the goal line, so I’m not going to take a knee on the goal line, at the half-yard line and take a chance on putting the game in the ref’s hands. Unfortunately, I ended up fumbling the football, but I’ve never been a guy that completely disobeys what I’ve been told. I think you can ask a lot guys in the locker room. That’s not what I do. That’s not the kind of man I am. That’s not the kind of person I am.”

Montgomery also defended himself against charges that he acted out of selfishness.

Several Packers players anonymously called out Montgomery in a story written by Mike Silver of NFL Media. Silver’s report mentions a tantrum thrown by Montgomery after being removed from the game on the previous series.

Montgomery admitted Monday he was frustrated when he was pulled during the Packers’ last offensive series and was unsure of his role on the team. But Montgomery was adamant that had nothing to do with his decision on the kickoff.

The questions now become: Where does Montgomery stand with his teammates? Where do the Packers stand with Montgomery?

Montgomery does not sound as if he will soon get over the “backlash” from teammates.

“We talk about being brothers,” Montgomery said. “We talk about being family and keeping things in house, in house and this, that and the other, and that’s not what happened. I don’t know. Maybe that’s what they do in their family, but that’s not what I do in mine.

“No one ever said anything to me. No one ever came to me. So I’m thoroughly disappointed in the speculation and just the backlash that I have to deal with now, because now we’re talking about my character. We’re not even talking about the fumble any more. We’re talking about my character.”

Cornerback Tramon Williams insistedMonday that Montgomery did not act out of selfishness.

The new rule states all the ball has to do is touch the end zone and it’s a touch back. Surely he had to know the ball would have landed past the goal line. I just don’t get what he was thinking and what positives he seen for taking the ball out. Absolute best case he takes it for a TD and the Rams then have 2 minutes to put together a game winning drive, worst case: see what happened.

FFS this is still annoying me today. Just take the f***ing knee and let the man go to work. There was no way Rodgers wasn’t getting in field goal range on that drive, it’s his thing.

The new rule states all the ball has to do is touch the end zone and it’s a touch back. Surely he had to know the ball would have landed past the goal line. I just don’t get what he was thinking and what positives he seen for taking the ball out. Absolute best case he takes it for a TD and the Rams then have 2 minutes to put together a game winning drive, worst case: see what happened.

FFS this is still annoying me today. Just take the f***ing knee and let the man go to work. There was no way Rodgers wasn’t getting in field goal range on that drive, it’s his thing.
Yeah, I don't buy his reasoning. He's returned kicks a billion times before, and would've had similar catches, he'd be very aware of where the ball is. He was just touchy that he got benched and was being selfish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I don't buy his reasoning. He's returned kicks a billion times before, and would've had similar catches, he'd be very aware of where the ball is. He was just touchy that he got benched and was being selfish.

No doubt. Everyone on that Packers bench would’ve been wanting him to take a knee there. Plain selfish!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kinda hard to rate where we are at so far

Only really the Redskins outplayed us, while we outplayed the Bills

Crosby had a shocker against the Lions and if he had converted his attempts, we win.

Every other game down to the wire pretty much, most being come from behind.

i'm shocked to see Ha-Ha traded, he mustve been asking for coin that GB werent going to give him on his next contract?

He already stated he was leaving at the end of the season but was still playing well, from all reports not a locker room distraction and most importantly our only decent safety.

I understand they wanted to get something for him instead of letting him walk for free, but they would’ve got 3rd or 4th round compo for him anyway??

Not convinced he was going to leave at the end of the year, but there was no doubt he wanted to be paid as a top 3 safety. That's probably what it has come down to. Not happy though as it leaves Whitehead and Brice as our starters.

And from his play the past 2 seasons he ain't anything near that. Great trade to get rid of him now.

Mont too. Selfish little s**t.

Missing the playoffs might be best for the Packers, because thats the only way we might finally fire McCarthy.

But with Rodgers he might just drag us into a WC spot.
I like what Pettine has been doing with the D, so kinda hope we keep him when we fire McCarthy. but dont know what OC/College coach we will look for.

The Saints pick will be a late pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back