Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
Perry, Cobb and Matthews are all gone.

We won't be getting rid of Graham just yet.

Allison isn't leaving just yet. While ESB and MSV are good they aren't there yet.

No chance we draft a kicker. But yeah could see us bringing one in during the pre-season.
Allison is a FA. wont be worth signing him when MVS has been better. and would want at least a 3 year deal.

The Saints 1st could be used anywhere. TE, WR, S, ILB or even another OLB

I think we will draft a kicker day 3. just like this year we did a punter. there are a couple of decent kickers coming out who will be 6th/7th rounders but might fall out and become UDFA

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
again, sounds like its all about protecting the perception of rodgers, kissing his dick, and how he does have great pull behind the scenes.

-----------

Joe Philbin: Firing Winston Moss was about more than his tweet
Posted by Mike Florio on December 5, 2018, 1:59 PM EST

On Tuesday, long-time Packers assistant coach Winston Moss took to social media to offer criticism of the team. And the team fired him later that day.

On Wednesday, interim coach Joe Philbin explained that the firing didn’t flow exclusively from the tweet.

It’s never about one thing,” Philbin said, via ESPN.com. “Again, I think it’s important, as I said to the team, we’ve got to be professional, accountable, respectful, and punctual. Those are the four things that we’ve got to do the next four weeks. And if we do all those things, we’ll be in good shape. It wasn’t about — again, you’re talking to a guy who’s never tweeted in his life, doesn’t even know what Twitter is — so again, it’s not about a tweet or anything like that. I just think the fit right now isn’t where it needs to be. . . .

“I think it’s important obviously that everybody’s on the same page, that we’re all moving forward in the same direction. As you know, Winston’s an excellent football coach. I’ve known him a long time. Respect him; outstanding family man. So it wasn’t an easy decision, but I just didn’t feel like the fit right now was where it needs to be.”

The right fit had been there for the past 13 years, with Moss arriving in 2006 with McCarthy and Moss not being fired at any point before then. But the tweet from Moss may have reflected the final straw for him, becoming in turn the final turn for them.

Indeed, Moss had the title of assistant head coach since 2007. But Philbin, not Moss, became the interim head coach — despite the struggles of the offense Philbin coordinates. And Philbin, not Moss, was getting the chance, slim as it may be, to coach his way into the permanent job.

It’s entirely possible that Moss simply didn’t believe Philbin was the answer, and/or that Moss fears the coaching search will turn on factors unrelated to the message articulated in his tweet: “What championship teams have are great leadership! Period! It’s not the offensive guru trend, it’s not the safe trend. Find somebody that is going to hold #12 and everybody in this building to a #LombardiStandard! Period!”

Moss may sense, and possibly may know, that the coaching search will focus on finding someone who will be compatible with (and perhaps deferential to) #12, quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Moss seems to think that it will be more important to find someone who will hold Rodgers accountable.

And Moss possibly wanted the chance to be that guy, and he possibly wasn’t happy he didn’t get it. So he said what he said, believed what he said, and now will move on. Possibly joining McCarthy in whatever his next stop will be.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Josh McDaniels looks like a great fit to me, although I'm not 100% sold on his ability to be a HC. I imagine his unsuccessful stint at Denver was due more to the roster of team itself rather than McDaniels' coaching?
McDaniels was a main reason their roster was so shitty. McDaniels can stay away from this team.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports the Packers have been connected to Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald as a potential replacement for Mike McCarthy.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer also linked Fitzgerald to the Packers. Fitzgerald has strong ties to CEO Mark Murphy, who hired him back in 2006 as Northwestern's Athletic Director. Green Bay interviewed a pair of retreads in Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano, but neither feel like serious candidates. Fitzgerald's had NFL interest in the past but it was never enough to lure him from his alma mater. A proven track record (.576 Win Percentage) at the college level with not much left to prove, it may be time for Fitzgerald to make the jump.

Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Jim Caldwell has also been interviewed for the role of HC.
Rodgers and Davante seem to like Philbin's approach to the offense, so perhaps keeping him as OC and hiring somebody else as HC?
Not too worried about OC, more worried we lose Pettine as DC.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will Packers make a run at Pat Fitzgerald?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2018, 4:06 PM EST

GettyImages-1025399790-e1546031201332.jpg

Getty Images

The head start that the Packers secured by firing coach Mike McCarthy with four weeks left in the regular season allowed Green Bay to court, and to interview, candidates not currently tied to other NFL teams. That has resulted in reported interviews with candidates like former Colts/Lions coach Jim Caldwell and former Colts coach Chuck Pagano.

But what about college candidates? The name most prominently connected to the Packers’ vacancy is Pat Fitzgerald, and for good reason. Employed as the head coach at Northwestern since 2006, Fitzgerald secured the job on the watch of former Northwestern A.D. Mark Murphy. And, yes, that’s the same Mark Murphy who as of 2007 became the CEO of the Green Bay Packers.

The 44-year-old Fitzgerald, who became Murphy’s legacy-making hire at Northwestern, could become Murphy’s legacy-making hire in Green Bay, a coach who could remain in place for a decade or longer, assuming he has the chops to thrive at the next level.

Fitzgerald has generated a record of 95-70 at Northwestern, and he has taken the Wildcats to nine bowl games. This year, Northwestern will play on Monday in the Holiday Bowl. After that, it could be that the next move for Fitzgerald will be a move to the NFL, and a partnership with quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Even if Rodgers wants Joe Philbin instead.

The Packers likely will cast a wide net of interviews, looking for the best candidate for the job. But it surely will help Fitzgerald that he once was the best candidate for a head-coaching job that Murphy was filling in one of his final acts before taking the job he now has.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I'd much rather Fitzgerald over anyone else at the moment.
Pagano, Caldwell, Philbin aren't good HC's.
Pettine was against being a HC but he may have changed but his HC stint wasn't good.
McDaniels is a snake who will ruin this team. Plus it seems the Belichik coaching tree isn't actually good and it's just Belichik who is good.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Packers to request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Brian Flores
Posted by Josh Alper on December 30, 2018, 9:11 PM EST
GettyImages-1057560878-1-e1546222266995.jpg

Getty Images

The regular season is over for 30 of the league’s 32 teams and that means it is just about time for head coaching searches to kick into high gear.

When they do, Jim McBride of the Boston Globe reports and PFT has confirmed that the Packers are expected to request interviews with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and linebackers coach Brian Flores. Green Bay has already interviewed Chuck Pagano and Jim Caldwell.

McDaniels has head coaching experience with the Broncos and was set to take the Colts’ job last offseason before an 11th hour change of heart. Flores didn’t get the defensive coordinator title this year, but took over most of the responsibilities after Matt Patricia left to become the Lions head coach. He interviewed with the Cardinals last year.

Both coaches figure to have other suitors. There are currently four teams that have officially started looking for new head coaches. The Browns and the Packers fired head coaches during the season while the Buccaneers and Jets did so on Sunday.

Well, what a glorious s**t show that game was to end this rollercoaster of a season :p

Looks like we have the 12th and 26ish+ picks for the draft which we can hopefully land two young superstars.
Honestly couldn't tell you where our most need is. Defense looked pretty promising when fully fit, even without Ha-Ha. Alexander is a stud.

I feel we're just one or two pieces away from our offense really clicking. I'd love to see us invest in an offensive linesman that can give Rodgers the time to calculate his passes. Admittedly he had missed a few easy passes this year also.
Another WR seems obvious, though you never really know what you're going to get in drafting one.

Right now, I just look forward to how the coaching plays out :) I've not been following the league long enough to know whether McDaniels is the right choice or not, but I hate the thought of somebody like Caldwell who I only remember negative things about in Detroit. Not sure how college coaches like Fitzgerald could fit in immediately in the NFL, but all will unfold soon enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Well, what a glorious s**t show that game was to end this rollercoaster of a season :p

Looks like we have the 12th and 26ish+ picks for the draft which we can hopefully land two young superstars.
Honestly couldn't tell you where our most need is. Defense looked pretty promising when fully fit, even without Ha-Ha. Alexander is a stud.

I feel we're just one or two pieces away from our offense really clicking. I'd love to see us invest in an offensive linesman that can give Rodgers the time to calculate his passes. Admittedly he had missed a few easy passes this year also.
Another WR seems obvious, though you never really know what you're going to get in drafting one.

Right now, I just look forward to how the coaching plays out :) I've not been following the league long enough to know whether McDaniels is the right choice or not, but I hate the thought of somebody like Caldwell who I only remember negative things about in Detroit. Not sure how college coaches like Fitzgerald could fit in immediately in the NFL, but all will unfold soon enough.

An Elite pass rusher, Reliable slot receiver, Young big Redzone threat TE, a ball hawk safety and we’re a threat again

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Wow, ok. Lafleur? Didn't see that coming. I get it he's only 39 and he worked under McVay when the Rams broke out but they certainly didn't exactly go backwards this year after he left.

Don't get why we wouldn't at least interview McDaniels?? Unless McDaniels told them no.

EDIT: We actually did interview McDaniels, thought we weren't able to until the Pats season was over.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
I rate LaFleur, think its really good hire actually, I wouldn't worry too much about his offensive numbers at Tennessee, he was handicapped with Mariota as his QB.

Adjusted well late in the season and really got Henry going, positive signs for a Packers run game.

Far better than hiring snake McDaniels

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I rate LaFleur, think its really good hire actually, I wouldn't worry too much about his offensive numbers at Tennessee, he was handicapped with Mariota as his QB.

Adjusted well late in the season and really got Henry going, positive signs for a Packers run game.

Far better than hiring snake McDaniels
True, I get he could be a good get for our run game. If someone could learn to use Jones/Williams effectively we'll be hard to stop.

I'm reading the big tick for Lafleur was he wanted to keep Pettine around.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
bit of a homer and doubt he will leave but David Shaw would be nice.

Bruce Arians, Matt LaFleur [Titans OC, Was Rams OC last season] or Eric Bieniemy [KC OC]

Interview college coaches with no NFL experience like Chris Peterson[Washington], Paul Chryst [Wisconsin], Lincoln Riley[Oklahoma], David Cuttcliffe [Duke] and Kyle Whittingham [Utah] because they all develop players well. first 4 are offence.

I think Riley will take the Dallas job

Called it. Im happy with the hire. happy that reports say he wants to keep Pettine.

hope he finally kicks Zook out

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Called it (while naming 30 other coaches in the post) ;)
names 3 real candidates. and college coaches who were never a chance to jump to the NFL. Teams dont like hiring from college anymore because of Chip Kelly.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
names 3 real candidates. and college coaches who were never a chance to jump to the NFL. Teams dont like hiring from college anymore because of Chip Kelly.

Don't know mate, seems to me a few college coaches are getting a decent amount of interviews this year, even ones that were fired like Kingsbury.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Don't know mate, seems to me a few college coaches are getting a decent amount of interviews this year, even ones that were fired like Kingsbury.
no one is looking at the ones i listed.

anyone who takes Kingsbury is stupid. he got fired from Houston

If he gets a NFL job its because he looks like Ryan Gosling. and they think if they get a young "sexy" white dude he will be the new McVay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back