Toast Grundy: One of the all time greatest career comebacks in League history?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think after 2019, at the Pies, Grundy had lost his fire. Getting the big money combined with covid, he was running on fumes and playing at a B grade standard. The last few years, has lit a fuse under him and hopefully he has something to prove.

Let’s face it …Grundy was mediocre that year (year 4?) and McGuire made the call to bone him because Pies were maxed out with salary cap issues.
Grundys last 18 months at Collingwood were mediocre at best, he was getting rag dolled by much smaller opposition in ruck contests and his involvement around the ground was minimal. He did his knee on Anzac Day and that then coincided with Collingwood beginning there remarkable run.

In his prime he was as good as Gawn, yes we overpaid him. I don’t think any Collingwood member will say he was worth the monies being paid but he unfortunately had a massive drop off in form after signing his big deal.

Like a lot of players, he has found a new lease of life and good luck to him, I’ll never begrudge a 2 x Club Champion.

If it costs us $250k a year to another club and it keeps bringing us flags then, please put the paper on the table for me to sign.

BTW a few in this thread jumping up and down have obviously forgotten we have a pretty decent first choice ruckman anyway.

Grundys last 18 months at Collingwood were mediocre at best, he was getting rag dolled by much smaller opposition in ruck contests and his involvement around the ground was minimal. He did his knee on Anzac Day and that then coincided with Collingwood beginning there remarkable run.

In his prime he was as good as Gawn, yes we overpaid him. I don’t think any Collingwood member will say he was worth the monies being paid but he unfortunately had a massive drop off in form after signing his big deal.

Like a lot of players, he has found a new lease of life and good luck to him, I’ll never begrudge a 2 x Club Champion.

If it costs us $250k a year to another club and it keeps bringing us flags then, please put the paper on the table for me to sign.
Yep…valid points

That’s footy sometimes.

My point is nothing to do with Collingwood. It’s just the fact that he has mentally adjusted and adapted to the swans game plan and he is absolutely flying..dominating in the hardest role in footy.

Without him, Swans wouldn’t be in the supreme position that are in right now.

That’s grit and toughness. I give him credit because I thought he was absolutely finished as a league footballer.

But he has proven to be a pro.

And I like seeing that in any player who gets shafted for one reason or another.

McGuire …10 years too many as President.

He couldn’t let go of the power and status of running his beloved Collingwood.
Yes but...

We were a basket case in 1997. He cleared the decks and rebuilt the finances which had been perilously bad. He got Malthouse in (an obvious choice but he got the deal done, including a TV contract fir the daughter) and turned the club around. When Malthouse seemed cooked he ignored the pundits and stayed loyal, and it paid off.

Dunno about you but my ego would be bordering Saturn if I pulled that off.

I always said we should judge him on how he leaves. There was a stink at the end, he mishandled the racism issues (really the biggest blot on his record), and buggered up the salary cap but overall he was a tremendous president who did great things for us, and good things for other clubs too (eg Dogs and Swans).

Did harm but did a lot more good. As fir the ego, there have been worse. A poor son of a single mum who makes it big through hard work has a right to some pride.

Yes but...

We were a basket case in 1997. He cleared the decks and rebuilt the finances which had been perilously bad. He got Malthouse in (an obvious choice but he got the deal done, including a TV contract fir the daughter) and turned the club around. When Malthouse seemed cooked he ignored the pundits and stayed loyal, and it paid off.

Dunno about you but my ego would be bordering Saturn if I pulled that off.

I always said we should judge him on how he leaves. There was a stink at the end, he mishandled the racism issues (really the biggest blot on his record), and buggered up the salary cap but overall he was a tremendous president who did great things for us, and good things for other clubs too (eg Dogs and Swans).

Did harm but did a lot more good. As fir the ego, there have been worse. A poor son of a single mum who makes it big through hard work has a right to some pride.
McGuire and Pert did what they had to do. I’m not saying it was the wrong call.

My point ..yet again …is that Grundy has resurrected his career from the pond scum position and is now killing it.

The top ranked Ruckman in the league.

That’s impressive and commendable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Treloar hit up the opposition and Grundy drop marks makes me understand why we paid them to play elsewhere. Feels like we ripped off both the dees and the dogs.

They are both gun players, but there is a such a thing as not wanting to Dodoro every trade (have it completely screwing someone else) and just looking for maximum benefit for your own club, which the pies did.

They made a mess of their salary cap and rectified it with tough decisions.

He was elite the whole time, just went to probably the worst club to go to for his skillset (Melbourne).
He wasn’t elite in his last season at Pies.

He was mash potato.

Done. Gone. Finished.

Now he’s pretty good.

Hence …the comeback at league level.

McGuire and Pert did what they had to do. I’m not saying it was the wrong call.

My point ..yet again …is that Grundy has resurrected his career from the pond scum position and is now killing it.

The top ranked Ruckman in the league.

That’s impressive and commendable.
Oh I agree, great bloke and a fine player.

Taylor Walker is the best comeback in recent times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back