Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations on the loss, but plenty to look forward to in the future for the Giants.

Full match report is now up.

Great article and totally agree with this line..

This was arguably the best game of AFLW in the competition’s short history – it makes you wonder what the naysayers would say had they been treated to this spectacle.

This was arguably the best game of AFLW in the competition’s short history

Agree. It was streets ahead of both last night and also most of the games last year (I have a soft spot for a number of the Lions' wins).

I think we did well today. Melbourne had most of the play and most of the territory. But our defence was immense. There were some excellent passages and I know that some of the girls can play a lot better. We didn’t really see much of Dal Pos and a couple of others. Beeson is going to be some sort of player and I liked Staunton’s impact. McKinnon is a BEAST.

Disappointed in the result, but really pleased with the step up in intensity and skill. Such a short season we might not win many games, but we’ll be in more at the pointy end than we’re not.

Also liked seeing Heath Shaw on the sideline.

Last edited:
After seeing the practice game against Brisbane and after watching last nights game (which was ordinary )I think we can match anyone.Really impressed with the tackle numbers.Eva 13-wow.Seems to be a harder edge to our play and depth.Low numbers by Del Poss is a good indication.If she had low numbers last year we we were shot.If Swanson could come back and play defence/mid we look pretty strong.Shattered we lost but anything still possible

Good summary of GWS' moves over the off season in this article. We have significantly strengthened the midfield (including getting Renee Forth back from injury after missing the whole of season 2017). The problem will remain the forward line's ability to score - although Cora Staunton could be a real x-factor wildcard there with her mass of Gaelic football experience. Defence has been strengthened with Tanya Hetherington's arrival, but isn't as strong as other teams. Hopefully, though, we can surprise a few teams!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/s...e/news-story/0df2a7e539196bc94082a54d8dd13259

Here are some of the players to keep an eye on.

CORA STAUNTON

Gaelic football legend Cora Staunton could be the recruit of the year in AFLW. In her first competitive match of footy against last year’s runner up Brisbane she booted two quick goals and looked a standout. The ‘legend’ title is no exaggeration. Staunton is listed among the greatest Irish athletes ever and has represented her country in football, Gaelic football and rugby union.

REBECCA BEESON

At 19 years of age Beeson is one of the best young players on the Giants team. The Sydney local has the footy brains to go with her talent and has a strong overhead mark to top it off.

TANYA HEATHERINGTON

A key defender Tanya Hetherington has been named in the Giants leadership group. At 32 she is another experienced leader who has had lots of success in VFLW where she was captain of the strong Diamond Creek side.

RENEE FORTH

The West Australian was signed as one of the Giants Marquee players last year but an ACL injury saw her miss the entire season. She is back in action, fit and ready to make up for lost time.

ALICIA EVA

Alicia Eva is another great signing, she was vice-captain of Collingwood last year and runner up in their best and fairest. Not only does she bring talent Eva is another on-field coach for Alan McConnell after working for a number of years for the Calder Cannons TAC Cup team working with AFL stars Jake Lever and Peter Wright.

EMMA SWANSON

Another marquee player from WA Swanson is all class and was one of their best players in the first year of AFLW. She knows how to find the ball and has great vision and skills when in possession.

COURTNEY GUM

The 35 year old South Australian has a list of achievements as long as her arm including the SANFL best and fairest and the Mostyn Medal in Sydney in 2012. An inside midfielder with skills on both sides of her body Gum will play a vital role in 2018.

JODIE HICKS

In the mould of her Sydney Sixers team mate Ellyse Perry Hicks is one of NSW brightest sporting talents. The 18 year old from Hay in southern NSW starred for the state at national level.st the group and we are looking forward to what’s to come in season 2018,” he said.

Bar the out Swanson, every one of them did OK. Forth still has a lot of upside, she was quiet by her standards, I would think she is still working back into it. Staunton looks the natural goal scorer they were after. Beeson really good, Gum one of the bet I thought. Eva was outstanding, Heatherington solid, and Hicks ok for a first run.

Bar the out Swanson, every one of them did OK. Forth still has a lot of upside, she was quiet by her standards, I would think she is still working back into it. Staunton looks the natural goal scorer they were after. Beeson really good, Gum one of the bet I thought. Eva was outstanding, Heatherington solid, and Hicks ok for a first run.
Really enjoyed Gum and Eva's game today.

Agree. The recruits today provided what we wanted from them - Gum was hard at the ball in the middle (& yes, arguably best for GWS), Eva tackled frantically and added class, Staunton was solid up front, remainder played their roles well enough against one of the favourites. Certainly have made a huge improvement in all facets of our play from last year. Hopefully there's more to come & we can win a few games.

You guys played superbly, your field running and slingshots were awesome and will only improve. Keep that up and you'll have a real crack at silverware.

4ofthe next 6games at home and away games against the Pies and Freo.Thats a pretty good draw if the girls are good enough to take advantage of it.I Think we can beat the Blues but we need to.

From memory Harris didn't do much against us and Fridge did a good job on Vescio last time.We can get them in the clearances and hopefully we tackle like we did against the Demons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back