Women's Footy GWS Giants - AFL Women's

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know the ground they will play home games? Or is that not yet decided. Reason Is I am rhinking to join as a member when I renew but thinking it might be Blacktown?
Will probably take it on the chin anyway as I've been spoilt with Spotless a long walk from home. The scheduling in the gap is inspired I reckon

Do you reckon the women's team will struggle, being a NSW team and all? Or do you think the team could prove to be competitive?

Do you reckon the women's team will struggle, being a NSW team and all? Or do you think the team could prove to be competitive?

Hard to believe they would struggle because of NSW, not sure of the framing of the reference?
They targeted a mix of athletes and players with experience, I think the bulk of the top end is from interstate.
Hard to know who will and wont be competitive at this stage, let alone the cause I suspect.

Hard to believe they would struggle because of NSW, not sure of the framing of the reference?
They targeted a mix of athletes and players with experience, I think the bulk of the top end is from interstate.
Hard to know who will and wont be competitive at this stage, let alone the cause I suspect.
Because it is a state draft, and therefore majority of girls are from NSW, a traditionally smaller footballing state. Yeah nah thanks, I guess it is hard to know as of yet, keen for it to start though!

Because it is a state draft, and therefore majority of girls are from NSW, a traditionally smaller footballing state. Yeah nah thanks, I guess it is hard to know as of yet, keen for it to start though!

A few good players have come into the squad from outside of the state, plus a few good players from Canberra, where they've had a womens league for a while.

It's an interesting question. And it is hard to know for any of the teams - but we have four, I think, from WA and four from Vic - so that's 8 of the 22 from interstate (with three free agents yet to sign who could be from anywhere) - we also have a couple of Mostyn Medallists (best in the Sydney comp) and one of the Canberra ladies won their equivalent - so it might be NSW talent, but it really is too-end NSW talent. Also a couple of the NSW ladies have been good enough to be selected/play in those exhibition Dogs/Ds games over the past few years.

And with the right coaching and development.....

Who knows. All I know is that it will be really interesting to watch. First few games will give us the gauge and we might revisit this then.

Based on general standard of footy in nsw and s.a you would think the crows and giants would be in the last two spots in the comp, but we do have a number of top ups so time will tell how much of a difference that will make.

SLIDER-AFLWJUMPER.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could that be because they aren't BLK and none of the other teams are with their men's manufacture - I think only Geelong's men's team is with this new Cotton On sports brand.

Different manufacturer, different design, no infringement questions, more merch sale options. It was never going to be the same as the men's.

Would have liked to see a thin charcoal stripe breaking the orange and white - or - a charcoal G - but I don't mind it. I think it's the epaulettes that help make it look a bit like a training top.

Could that be because they aren't BLK and none of the other teams are with their men's manufacture - I think only Geelong's men's team is with this new Cotton On sports brand.

Different manufacturer, different design, no infringement questions, more merch sale options. It was never going to be the same as the men's.

Would have liked to see a thin charcoal stripe breaking the orange and white - or - a charcoal G - but I don't mind it. I think it's the epaulettes that help make it look a bit like a training top.

The epaulettes?

Yeah. Fair point

Couple of links to videos on the GWS website on the womens team.
Noted that the set up for the women's team on the website is probably the poorest of the clubs. A casual visitor to the website wouldn't even realise their was a women's team.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2016-11-17/alex-saundry-talks-pre-season-with-the-giants

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2016-11-15/tim-schmidt-on-the-womens-first-day

I asked them about that last week and they said they were working on both the women's football and the netball aspects of the site and that things would be launched very soon. Player profiles will go up probably very soon after they announce jumper numbers etc.

I'd like it to be sooner rather than later but apparently, at least, it is being worked upon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back