Event Hall of Fame - Season 34 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

michael jackson mj GIF

And miss giving you the chance to have a whinge?

Never been my style.
The only whinge I’ll have is the person that I voted in favour of induction and they didn’t get in despite deserving it the most of the 5 or so nominees...

And yes, that was BULLSHIT!

The only whinge I’ll have is the person that I voted in favour of induction and they didn’t get in despite deserving it the most of the 5 or so nominees...

🎂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Headless

Hi, ClarkeM! I hope you're having a wonderful and fulfilling day! 🥳
THANKS HEADLESS. I AM DOING OKAY AT THE MOMENT EXCEPT MY STUPID CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS BROKEN WHICH IS CAUSING ME ALL SORTS OF HEADACHES.

Ladies and Gentlebeings of the Sweet FA, gather 'round, for a right proper knees-up we shall have tonight! It's your boy HaroLad, the most relevant poster of all time, and I'm feeling oh-so humbled to be standing here before ye, basking in the glow of this grand accolade.

Allow me to take a moment to thank the almighty footy gods for gracing me with the gift of gab and the magic touch on the keyboard. And a big shout-out to all you lovely posters out there who've made this journey a wild ride, filled with laughter and banter, you've made me the man I am today.

And now, without further ado, let's get down to the nitty-gritty, the heart of the matter, the crux of the biscuit, shall we? Let's raise a glass to the Sweet FA, to Qooty, to friendship, and most of all, to being blessed with the opportunity to make a positive impact, to leave our mark on the world!

So let's raise the roof, and let's raise our voices, and let's get a little bit rowdy, for the rest is but silence! To be, or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing, end them.

1675760852047.png
Welcome one and all to the Season 34 Hall of Fame (Yes its Season 34, a few emergencies have delayed this, if you desperately want to know why please PM me 😊).

The Hall of Fame was first established in Season 13 by a very sexy administrator with 6 inaugural inductees and it was decided that 2 will follow in each of the subsequent seasons. For those who have continued to build their legacy in the league after their induction some Hall of Famers were elevated to Immortal status. It was decided that the ratio of Immortal to Hall of Famer was not to exceed 1:5. The Hall of Fame recognises a mixture of both playing, posting and services to the league.

As we are well behind on the 2 per season inclusion ratio, tonight we will be inducting 4 members into the Hall of Fame which is the most inducted since 4 were included in Season 25. We will also be elevating one current Hall of Fame member to the much sought-after status of Immortal which will be the first Immortal elevated since Broken was elevated in Season26.

Before we begin the induction, please join me in thanking TheInjuryFactory for the wonderful graphics scattered through out this OP. I’d also like to thank the current Hallf of Fame and Immortal members who have aided in this process through out.

I know Headless, I'm just as shocked as you are and I shall be protesting in front of the admins office tomorrow. You're more than welcome to join me

Our first inductee for Season 34 is a person I’m personally delighted in seeing reach the Hall of Fame, being a former teammate of mine both here and in the Fantasy Cricket comp before it died sausageroll. I caught up with Snags and discussed his time in the SFA now he’s reached the pinnacle of Individual awards.

cYlwqQU.png

Snags first congratulations on the HOF honour, what drew you into the SFA? Did someone invite you or did you stumble across the board by yourself?

Cheers Bonce, it’s an incredible honour and not something I ever dreamed about setting out to achieve when I joined.

Excellent lead into the first question mate, what drew you into the SFA? Did someone invite you or did you stumble across the board by yourself?

I joined BF as a resource for AFL Dream Team back in the good old days where you had to do your own research on players, and everything wasn’t handed to you on a platter. I was looking through the fantasy football forums and stumbled onto the SFA. I’d written basic footy sim programs in the past and had put a draft down for a more complex version but never got around to putting it into code. So when I saw Qooty I was instantly interested in seeing what this sim like. The Sharks had just been created I liked the work @Frankston Rover had done with the team so I joined them.

What were your first impressions of the league? Did a poster in particular stand out? Was there someone you tried to model your posting style on?

I enjoyed it right from the start. I started as a small forward but soon worked my way into the midfield. I was blessed with amos as a team mate that season. He was the most imaginative poster I’ve seen in and fantasy footy league who would bring team mates and opposition players into the thread with his posting. We had a similar attitude towards the game and bounced off each other really well that season. To this day, he’s still my favourite poster ever.

From the opposition, WCE_all_da_Way (Wally) and Big Man (Biggie) became instant favourites, mostly because I knew them from a forum called Talking Footy that we’d been on previously. Those two would become rivals for All-SFA spots in the midfield over the next few seasons.

Tarkyn_24 and Pie 4 Life were two that were always engaging from the start and I have enjoyed banter with and against in SFA and in rival qooty leagues.

There are a lot of current posters that I like a lot, but there’s a different level of enjoyment whenever I see any of the players from my early seasons (S7-S11) posting. The posters from those days are all among my favourites and I’m lucky to have quite a few of them as team mates at the Demons, some going stronger than ever.

Now its fair to say you’ve enjoyed your time at multiple clubs having played at 5 clubs over your journey, which club has been your favourite to play at? What do you remember about your time at each club?

I’ve really enjoyed periods with all clubs I’ve played at. The first season at the Sharks was great alongside amos and only one of the most controversial losses in the history of the game cost us a spot in the grand final.

The next season saw the Sharks merge with the Dragons, which technically counts as a change of clubs. A couple of people at the Bombers asked me to join them but the “Shagons” had several players I liked from another comp I’d been dragged across to in my first season (Take Forum) so I decided to stay. Over the next few seasons, more and more of the players I liked dropped off, while the Bombers kept hitting me up to join them. Eventually, after three seasons at the Dragons, I decided to move.

Highlight at the Dragons:

I still hold the record for the Dragons highest ever DT score for one match. I scored 173 DT, including 27 posessions, 11 tackles and 6 goals. It was in the first ever game for the Dragons and in the following 28 seasons no-one has ever matched it. There was no All-SFA that season but I led the league in stats. I’m not sure if there has ever been more DT points scored in a season by any other player. I’d like to know either way.

My time at the Bombers was split into four distinct periods…

• 1 and ½ seasons of full activity and 2 x All-SFA. I took over the captaincy late in my first season and recruited heavily, targeting my favourite ex-players and players from other qooty comps. Back in those days there were limits on how big threads on BF could be and the Bombers team thread broke those limits, which was unheard of from a team thread. The Hawks responded with a similar recruiting drive and for a short time the two clubs were posting powerhouses in the league and full of stars from the time. This, along with my history with Wally and Biggie and respect for their past players, is the reason I continue to be firmly against the rebrand of the club.
  • In the second half of my second season with the Bombers I joined the RAAF. This included 10 weeks at recruit training where I had no access to internet at all and then 16 months of temporary postings and training where I had incredibly slow only dial up internet access. When I joined the RAAF we were top of the ladder. I had to step down from captaincy and couldn’t post for the rest of the season. I found out later that the team went out of the finals in straight losses after gaining the double chance. For the 16 months with limited internet access I only posted once or twice a week. After I’d completed my training my interest had decreased so I just continued at this level of posting for a while. I was technically active, but at a very limited level.
  • I spent 6 months on deployment in Afghanistan and had nothing to do in my free time as we couldn’t leave our base. We had internet access though. This is when my interest and activity bounced back. I was engaged in match threads in a way I hadn’t been since S11. The league had changed though and spam was now a thing. Match threads were suddenly filled with content that had nothing to do with match banter. Forum posting standards had changed significantly as well. I tried to get back into the more aggressive banter style that had been common previously but was given multiple friendly warnings from moderators that knew me from the old days telling me we weren’t allowed to say stuff like that anymore. I just adapted to the casual posting style I still go with these days where I just try to enjoy good banter with my team mates and opposition.
  • The leadership team at the Bombers decided they wanted to rebrand the club due to the Essendon drug scandal. They felt like it was getting hard to recruit new players. They were totally open with me and the other long-term players about their proposal. I understood the reasoning but didn’t like it. Worse still, they chose to go with the Bandits, which I thought was one of the worst options of those proposed. I lost all interest in the team and soon after I told the captain I was going to take a break and not to name me while I was away. This is where I fell behind Tarks in games played. Had I not made that request I would’ve played 200 games at the club. If the Bandits had never happened there’s a chance I could still be a Bomber now. I would like to go back sometime, when the time is right. That is likely to be a fair way off though. Some will be aware that KohPhi actually joined the Demons one off season but changed his mind soon after. What people don’t know is that part of my pitch to sign him was an agreement that if he played for the Demons and decided he wanted to go back to the Bombers at some time I’d go back with him to the Bombers for a season.
Highlights at the Bombers:

The short time I was captain. This is where I saw the value of having active teammates over match stats. I moved myself out of the midfield and played as a small defender. Back pocket when the team was at peak activity and back flank when flanker’s posting dropped off. We also got on a winning run late in the season I took over and were top of the ladder when I had to hand over the captaincy. I’d be interested in seeing my win/loss ratio as captain. I’m pretty confident it’d be right up there with the best.

This is where my eternal rookie status came about. Around the time where my activity levels had increased again This Is Anfield had a “Meet The Rookies” included me in a media segment where he’d interview some of the SFA rookies. I played along, not letting him know I had been around for years, but most of my answers referenced things from my SFA history. I’ve been a rookie ever since. I’m guessing most of the people who reference me as a rookie don’t even know why they’re doing it. Well, this is why…

Media - Inside Qooty Episode 1

My time off from the Bandits wasn’t because I had lost interest in the SFA; just that I didn’t like the Bandits as the club identity. So when Tarks hit me up about joining the Furies I decided to give it a go. The fact that I even considered joining the Furies shows how much I hated the Bandits. There’s always been something about the Furies that isn’t quite right. But I actually enjoyed the majority of my time there and felt like it was a pretty solid group. In the third season a few of my favourites dropped off significantly, including Tarks, and the second half of the season was a total shitfight. So I accepted an offer to join the Demons.

Highlight at the Furies.
Leaving.

I don’t really need to say much about the Demons. In my time there it has been consistently one of the best quality clubs in the SFA every season, if not the best. There’s always been incredible depth of posters a great mix of personalities who all bring something positive to the club. The team we’ll be taking into Season 35 is probably the best quality line-up we’ve had since I joined.

Highlight at the Demons
My team mates.

Statistically season 8 was your best, but you've been pretty consistent. You'd be one of the few players with that sort of longevity between top tier seasons, how have you managed to reinvent yourself and your interest in the league constantly? Which is the best season you can think of?

No season really stands out. Season 7 was great alongside amos. Season 8 was great from a statistics point of view. I really enjoyed captaining the Bombers from late Season 10 to mid-late Season 11. Every season has been great with the Demons.

Playing in the midfield and being one of the highest stats winners in the comp over the majority of my early seasons was great at the time, but even back then it was the match thread banter that I enjoyed most. I moved myself away from the midfield when I was captain because that midfield position could be used for incentive to encourage other team mates to get more involved. I’ve had seasons where I’ve been in the top 6 or so posters in the club but sat happily in a forward pocket because I was part of an active team. So I guess if there was a way I reinvented myself it was the lower care factor regarding stats.

Having said that, I do enjoy seeing the sim treat me well. And one highlight I should mention was the season I played half forward all season and outscored every Furies player and ranked higher than a good percentage of full-time midfielders.

Favourite position to play?

Full Forward I played there once for the Bombers and kicked a bag and spookism named me full forward one season in SoO. I ended up leading the goal kicker for minor rounds and finals and won the medal in the Grand Final. That was the same season I outscored all Furies from half forward in the regular season.

I don’t care too much about where I play but I definitely wouldn’t knock back the opportunity to play a season at full forward at some stage.

You’ve played more games with Tarks then anyone else, where does he rank in your favourite players to play with? Who is your favourite teammate? If you want to be controversial, who’s your least?

Who’s Tarks?

Yeah, he’s right up there. Top quality poster. Top quality person. Looking forward to jumping ship and leaving him behind again though. So’s he, probably.

Does anyone remember Bushranger? He was terrible. But I loved seeing him every time he made an appearance. Always made me laugh. Even okeydoke7 ’s ego didn’t come close to him. He might not have been SFA though.

I actually don’t have any posters I hate. I think everyone brings something to the league. I don’t think naming someone I hate would be controversial but naming someone I don’t hate might be… XenXen. I never really understood why so many people hated her so much. She spammed the hell out of the first match thread I shared with here but after that she was much better. I don’t think people gave her much of a chance.

How do you think the league has evolved over time? You've seen the transition from 2-page match threads, to more content, right through to the content explosion we see today. Is there a period you loved more than others?

Yeah, there have been big changes over the time I’ve been involved. The increase in posters and activity has been great. A lot of people who weren’t around in the first 12 or so seasons don’t understand how different the whole site was back then. There was no tagging or reactions. People had no notifications at all so the comp relied heavily on people actually navigating to the SFA to take part. People might think the SFA was pretty crap in comparison to now, but that’s not the case. It was just as enjoyable for me. And you could get away with a lot more in the banter than you can these days. Posting these days is pretty tame compared to how things got on occasions in the past.

A lot of threads these days end up being filled with a lot of crap that has absolutely nothing to do with qooty. So higher activity is not always better. There is good and bad in each situation.

What does your future hold?

There are plenty of players in the league I’d like to play alongside. A couple of those will get that tick this season but I feel that I need to tick off a few more. I can feel a change on the horizon.

You’re top 10 in most stats except goals and behinds. Do you blame Tarks because he hogs FF keeping you out of the forward line? Can you see yourself resting forward more as your career continues to try and slide into the top 10 in those categories?

Tarks hasn’t played a season at FF for a while. I think he’d like to though. So anyone other than him would be great
I’ll play wherever suits the balance of the team most. I’m happy to play anywhere as long as those in other positions are contributing. If that's in the forward lie then who knows, I might be a chance of moving up the goal kicking ranks. Especially if I ever get a chance to play FF. I'm less than 100 goals outside the top 10. But that's not really that important.

Thanks Snags, some great memories and times and it has proved you’re a true superstar of the comp. Moving on our next inductee for this season is the much-loved Spookism!

7NIbaTa.png

Spook some might not realise but you actually started in the SFA in season 6 and then vanished until your much more known 2nd run starting in season 16. Talk us through it, why did the first run end so suddenly, why did you decide to comeback?

This is definitely testing the memory banks. But I believe there was a call out of the Port Adelaide board way back in the day asking for supporter to join the Swamprats, them being aligned with the Power and all that. I signed up, posted about 3 times and was promptly dropped and delisted. Which certainly was fair enough.
A few years later, I had become more active on Bigfooty and @mannumpower put out the word they were reforming the Swamprats. So, I jumped on board the bid and had a ball during it, I decided to stick around this time. At the time, I had even forgotten about that first season as my 'first' season was so good, I was the clear EKA favourite except for that little fact I wasn't actually a rookie.

We’ll focus on your 2nd run here, what stood out when you joined in with more vigour? Any poster you tried to model yourself on?

The whole new-gen posters of S15-17 were a masterclass covering all the bases in what made the league great at the time. There were antagonistic, arrogant, funny, irrelevant, spammy and just general amusing posters. It's without a doubt the league wouldn't have survived this long in this form without that group of posters. I never styled myself on anyone's per se and I dabbled a bit in all the previously mentioned styles, except for spammy - * that. However, I mostly stuck with the irrelevant, hopefully, amusing style.

You've played at 3 clubs. Do you have highlights from each?

All three were great during my time at the club, to be honest. Obviously, I had my moments at the Swamprats and while it was highly entertaining at times, the Captaincy burden was one I was happy the shed and also led to the burnout that required my first change of clubs. But if it wasn't for those seasons, so many of the memes associated with me wouldn't be alive today.

The change of pace at the Hawks was a refreshing one that was matched with consistent on-field performances, despite always losing at the last few hurdles. I believe this time was when everyone thought the boys club run the league and was peak banter time around the traps.

The Royals were probably the best posting team I've been a part of, especially that run we had on and off the field in S30 that culminated in a Premiership. The current squad is also very good and I'll miss that on a weekly basis, but it was time for change.

What is the highlights of your career from your eyes?

Captaining the South Australian SoO team to a Premiership is definitely a sneaky highlight. It meant I could add something to the resume other than perennial runner-up or loser and it gave me a perfect response to Kennedy Parker

I think it also took me like 4 games to register my possession or something like that, which is as impressive as getting 30 and 3 on debut if you ask me.

Also being the first and maybe only First Reserve in an All-SFA team is highly amusing to me.

And probably coining the phrase #stackedsix in the season we went on to win the Premiership is probably the only time I've ever gotten out in front of something and it's paid off in the Sweet FA.

Statistically season 16 was your best, with 24 and 31. You'd be one of the few players with that sort of longevity between top tier seasons, how have you managed to reinvent yourself and your interest in the league constantly? Which is the best season you can think of?

Changing clubs certainly helps, as does changing positions on the field. I've always enjoyed playing in the premium mid-field spots, but mixing it up and giving someone else a go is the way to go as well. Always happy to slip into the Centre Half Back or Forward role to let others deservedly shine. As for the three seasons mentioned, they're all good and they got me three Best & Fairest's I think, at three different clubs as well. S31 was a fun ride, got me the TFLUA and was probably my last chance at a Mobbs. In typical fashion, I think I finished 5th in the count.

Favourite position to play?

Centre or Centre Half Back

You've played more games with Noobzor then anyone else, where does he rank in your favourite players to play with? Who is your favourite teammate? If you want to be controversial, who's your least?

When on, he was one of the best to banter with and against. Also, his betrayal way back when with that terrible nWo gimmick (wrestling sucks The Filth Wizard ) changed the course of history for myself, the Swamprats and the Sweet FA in general.

As for playing favourites, like I said earlier the S30 Royals were pretty prime.

My least favourite is that guy we don't talk about anymore, pretty sure he's on a few watchlist's around the place.

Best poster you've seen in the league?

It always ebbs and flows, so I don't have one particular poster that I want to single out. There are many great posters I have come across during my whole time here and then there were the one-season wonders that you just want back.

Is there a poster you've loved to hate?

I've had my fair share of run in's with the Bombers as whole of the years. But in the same breath, some of my favourite posters have come from these ranks. They certainly have kept things interesting over the seasons, for better or worse.

How do you think the league has evolved over time?

It's certainly more active than it was. The media threads and stats posting are really what exploded the league in my opinion. I've read through a couple of those older threads from my first season, there's not much to report on.

There's definitely a happy medium that should be found. Spamming and doing things such as celebrating 100 posts in a match thread are a bane on the league and are the most boring things about it to be honest. Having 6 pages of posting in a week is also boring, but as long as there is some wit, engagement and posting other than go team and wooo, I think that's the way to go.

What does your future hold?

Hopefully, by adding this to my resume I can use it to get a better job which will give me more time to get back into here.
But, yeah, who knows, I just take it season by season at the moment and just try to enjoy the moment and hopefully snag another flag or two.

Just want to finish on saying that this is a great honour and to say thankyou to all my teammates over the years at the Swamprats, Hawks and Royals. If it wasn't for all of you I definitely still wouldn't be here doing this.
Thanks again.

Spook have to say I think there’s no more deserving member of the boys club then you to get this honour so congratulations mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back