News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno. His first game was Ross showing him exactly who the boss was. There was no other on field reason for putting him in the Peel paddock then.
Convenient to say it's in the hands of the sports scientists when I can't find any that recommend calf rehab best practice by warming up then standing around doing nothing for 30 minutes.

I hope I'm wrong but similar happened to Shane Yarren when he came to the club with a minor knee injury. Also convenient to claim rehab but RTB didn't want to play him until he was shamed into it by media.
In hindsight it's clear he had off the field issues too. Obviously it's sad what happened to him but he hardly seemed to have the right temperament.

Same could be said for chopsticks. But he took up mindfulness practices, pilates, grew up, stepped up as a club leader, and won a brownlow
In hindsight it's clear he had off the field issues too. Obviously it's sad what happened to him but he hardly seemed to have the right temperament.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

TK and Lachie Reid. How is sitting in the stands when the team first run out and then sitting down for 30 min after you warm up good for your morale or calf rehab?

I think from his first game when Ross put the Ferrari in the back paddock at Peel where he got kicked in the calf that Bennell will always struggle getting opportunities under Ross.
Your Conveniently Wrong in regards Harley sitting in the stands during the game. Read Lachy's tweet again he said that when the team was warming up at 3/4 time in the Ressies Harley was sitting in the stand.

Your Conveniently Wrong in regards Harley sitting in the stands during the game. Read Lachy's tweet again he said that when the team was warming up at 3/4 time in the Ressies Harley was sitting in the stand.

Why are we confused by this?
He didn't play in the first quarter so they clearly held his warm up back by half hour......

No I got it. The team going out at 3/4 isn't to warm up, its a kick around and walk on the ground, a team thing. Being part of the team or not was my first point from that tweet. Warm up starts after that, which Harley did. Then sat around for 30 minutes. There was no delayed wu. My second point was claim sports science and injury management bs when it suits.

Stand by what I said for his first game with Freo. You might claim hindsight for that not his off field problems. Thinking of nationally distributed photos there.

Why you ask? Because some people are very keen to see Harley fail. I am sure there are reasons for this but I can't understand them.

This particular situation is staggering.
His game started approx 40 mins later then the rest of the team so it really is pretty self evident why he started his warm up later. I would have thought rather then doing the 3 QT warm up that the rest of the team done that he probably done his pre-game when everyone else was minutes away from actually starting. Its clear it was pre-determined he wasn't playing in the first quarter.

There is a lot of people here that have no idea how these processes work or are generally going to take every opportunity to criticize him......

No I got it. The team going out at 3/4 isn't to warm up, its a kick around and walk on the ground, a team thing. Being part of the team or not was my first point from that tweet. Warm up starts after that, which Harley did. Then sat around for 30 minutes. There was no delayed wu. My second point was claim sports science and injury management bs when it suits.

Stand by what I said for his first game with Freo. You might claim hindsight for that not his off field problems. Thinking of nationally distributed photos there.

You claim Ross had/has it in for both Bennell and Yarran although they both contributed to their own issues in a major way.
Something tells me you`re playing the race card here?:think:

You claim Ross had/has it in for both Bennell and Yarran although they both contributed to their own issues in a major way.
Something tells me you`re playing the race card here?:think:
No not at all, playing the ball not the man and only discussing on field opportunities. Just Ross being the boss, the way he operates.

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20160311/281956016885751
Harley got his first start against Cats in 2016 pre season 12 Mar 2016, after looking strong and moving freely working on a wing at match simulation training. However many Dockers carrying injuries and not travelling well, including Ballantyne, Clarke, Walters, Mundy playing his first game for 2016.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-certainty-for-round-one-20160312-gnhjeq.html

Despite the former Gold Coast Sun having 17 touches in his first hit-out for his new club, a 12-point win against Geelong at Domain Stadium on Saturday, coach Ross Lyon wouldn't assure him a start against the Bulldogs.

He kicked one goal and had a hand in a couple of others before he was taken out of the game early in the final term.
But Lyon said he will play in the WAFL next week and was not assured a start in the AFL the week before.

"I thought he contributed strongly. He hit the scoreboard. He was selfless, handball over the top. A bit to like," he said.

"He's been in full training for a while and we're preparing him really well.

"We tick that off, we'll sit down and assess all players; what they did, where they are at. He'll get an opportunity to play with Peel next week, which he understands that he'll do that."

There were other reports that quoted Ross as saying Harley can't expect just to come to the side and get straight into the team. Who's the boss? No mention of any injuries for Harley although others went to Rd 1 carrying injuries and were managed. Spin it how you want.

Last edited:
No not at all, playing the ball not the man and only discussing on field opportunities. Just Ross being the boss, the way he operates.

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20160311/281956016885751
Harley got his first start against Cats in 2016 pre season 12 Mar 2016, after looking strong and moving freely working on a wing at match simulation training. However many Dockers carrying injuries and not travelling well, including Ballantyne, Clarke, Walters, Mundy playing his first game for 2016.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-certainty-for-round-one-20160312-gnhjeq.html

Despite the former Gold Coast Sun having 17 touches in his first hit-out for his new club, a 12-point win against Geelong at Domain Stadium on Saturday, coach Ross Lyon wouldn't assure him a start against the Bulldogs.

He kicked one goal and had a hand in a couple of others before he was taken out of the game early in the final term.
But Lyon said he will play in the WAFL next week and was not assured a start in the AFL the week before.

"I thought he contributed strongly. He hit the scoreboard. He was selfless, handball over the top. A bit to like," he said.

"He's been in full training for a while and we're preparing him really well.

"We tick that off, we'll sit down and assess all players; what they did, where they are at. He'll get an opportunity to play with Peel next week, which he understands that he'll do that."

There were other reports that quoted Ross as saying Harley can't expect just to come to the side and get straight into the team. Who's the boss? No mention of any injuries for Harley although others went to Rd 1 carrying injuries and were managed. Spin it how you want.

All good.
Except wasn't the Peel match played while Freo had the week off after our last preseason match, before Rd 1?
Harley needed/needs conditioning so I don`t see how he was hard done by getting an extra match in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good.
Except wasn't the Peel match played while Freo had the week off after our last preseason match, before Rd 1?
Harley needed/needs conditioning so I don`t see how he was hard done by getting an extra match in.

The Peel game (WAFL round 1) was the week before our first match featuring; Alex Pearce, Harley Bennell, Darcy Tucker, Matt de Boer, Lachie Weller, Ethan Hughes, Connor Blakely, Tanner Smith, Hayden Crozier, Ed Langdon, Brady Grey, Alex Silvani, Jack Hannath, Josh Deluca, Sam Collins, Matt Uebergang, Zac Clarke and Clancee Pearce.

18 players round 1.
14 Freo players the following week. (Nyhuis in from reserves the previous week) (Bennell, Crozier, Silvani, Clarke, Clancee Pearce out)

After so many issues of the past two years I think subconsciously I've built this image of Harley in my head as some brittle old guy who's not going to be able to run fast or turn quickly without fear of breaking.

Watching him in training today sprinting into space in the forward 50 drills was a sight to see. He's a 26yr old, still has his pace, vision, and skills. Just needs to build up his fitness and put in a good showing at Peel.

East Freo are bottom of the WAFL ladder so he might get into a bit more action this weekend. Fingers crossed.

After so many issues of the past two years I think subconsciously I've built this image of Harley in my head as some brittle old guy who's not going to be able to run fast or turn quickly without fear of breaking.

Watching him in training today sprinting into space in the forward 50 drills was a sight to see. He's a 26yr old, still has his pace, vision, and skills. Just needs to build up his fitness and put in a good showing at Peel.

East Freo are bottom of the WAFL ladder so he might get into a bit more action this weekend. Fingers crossed.
The only problem is it is going to be a very wet game. That wont suit Bennell and it will definitely test out his calves

Gee there are some Harley bashers here.How about as supporters we support.
I am sure that he will not drown or tear a hammy playing against EF. Oh and that is an opinion.And yes the ball being on the ground a lot will help Harley

The Peel game (WAFL round 1) was the week before our first match featuring; Alex Pearce, Harley Bennell, Darcy Tucker, Matt de Boer, Lachie Weller, Ethan Hughes, Connor Blakely, Tanner Smith, Hayden Crozier, Ed Langdon, Brady Grey, Alex Silvani, Jack Hannath, Josh Deluca, Sam Collins, Matt Uebergang, Zac Clarke and Clancee Pearce.

18 players round 1.
14 Freo players the following week. (Nyhuis in from reserves the previous week) (Bennell, Crozier, Silvani, Clarke, Clancee Pearce out)
Thanks, I was going to ask for a link. Did only Clarke and Pearce play up after that game? Did Mundy who had a worse preseason and only played his first game against Geelong play? Did Fyfe come back from his broken leg in the toos?

Still had at least Ballentyne, Walters, Mundy, Clarke, Fyfe and Sandy under injury clouds. Before playing at Peel Bennell wasn't under an injury cloud. According to Ross he had been in full training for a while, contributed strongly, selfless, hit the scoreboard, had 17 touches before being taken out at start of 4th term in that Geelong preseason game.

However he had to prove to Ross he deserved to play for firsts and was given the opportunity to play for Peel. Ferrari / back paddock?

A reminder of the record loss in that first game (score of 5.8, 38 is its lowest ever score against the Bulldogs), 10 game losing streak to start the season and finishing second last. Bennell only part of the puzzle, but put to play in Peel for wrong reasons in my opinion. They had many genuine injury concerns for players that could have gone through Peel instead.

Thanks, I was going to ask for a link. Did only Clarke and Pearce play up after that game? Did Mundy who had a worse preseason and only played his first game against Geelong play? Did Fyfe come back from his broken leg in the toos?

Still had at least Ballentyne, Walters, Mundy, Clarke, Fyfe and Sandy under injury clouds. Before playing at Peel Bennell wasn't under an injury cloud. According to Ross he had been in full training for a while, contributed strongly, selfless, hit the scoreboard, had 17 touches before being taken out at start of 4th term in that Geelong preseason game.

However he had to prove to Ross he deserved to play for firsts and was given the opportunity to play for Peel. Ferrari / back paddock?

A reminder of the record loss in that first game (score of 5.8, 38 is its lowest ever score against the Bulldogs), 10 game losing streak to start the season and finishing second last. Bennell only part of the puzzle, but put to play in Peel for wrong reasons in my opinion. They had many genuine injury concerns for players that could have gone through Peel instead.

That was the preseason where Mundy was running 16km a day and Bennell hadn't yet played a game for Freo? It was.

I expect Harley would have played in round one if he wasn't injured at Peel.

Bennel seems like hes as only good as the people around him.
He comes across as player that will disappear faster than Harold Holt if you pay attention to him.
Geelong were probably trying to pay attention to him when he kicked 6 goals for the Suns.
Harley is superstar level good and I just hope he gets a chance to have a decent run at it and stick it up the doubters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back