News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading between the lines of Collingwood's statement, this isn't the only thing which has led to de Goey's punishment. His just haven't been as public as Harleys.
Didn't De Goey get suspended for getting in a Pub Brawl last year? The one he broke his hand and lied about it?

So if I connect the dots... de Goey has a massive drug problem and should just be sacked in order to maintain club culture AND pendlebury is a virgin dog who has lost the players? Bucks doesn’t know how to build a list and his game plan sucks! Seems the Freo logic can apply elsewhere too :think:

Sack the Eddies...

De Goey also has a no drinking thing specified, I think Harley is dry but I don't know if it's a condition for him.

The club is also monitoring who he associates with, his ban is decided by both the peers and coaches, he has to get a day job for the 4 weeks he's training at VFL level (a big one we should have done to Harley, very humbling and forces you to reslire whst you're facing) and be monitored doing meaningful charity work

I think off field incidents and punishment should be handled by the AFL and not the clubs similar to on field incidents as it takes the clubs self interest out of the equation. There is no such thing as a perfect system because it is a random world filled with people but arbitrary judgement by a independent body is the ' best practice ' model used in most fields of human endeavour

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think off field incidents and punishment should be handled by the AFL and not the clubs similar to on field incidents as it takes the clubs self interest out of the equation. There is no such thing as a perfect system because it is a random world filled with people but arbitrary judgement by a independent body is the ' best practice ' model used in most fields of human endeavour

Really don't like this idea. The AFL are not very consistent with their on field punishments. Could only imagine how they would go if they were in charge of off-field punishments (think Melbourne non tanking for example).
I bet you wouldn't be happy if one of the Dockers got suspended for a couple of weeks during finals for a minor off-field indiscretion that happened to be the monthly crackdown flavour of the month at AFLQ.

Really don't like this idea. The AFL are not very consistent with their on field punishments. Could only imagine how they would go if they were in charge of off-field punishments (think Melbourne non tanking for example).
I bet you wouldn't be happy if one of the Dockers got suspended for a couple of weeks during finals for a minor off-field indiscretion that happened to be the monthly crackdown flavour of the month at AFLQ.

Well the Dockers would be back in the finals so that's a positive :)
As I said there is no perfect system but would it be any worse than the trial by media / public opinion that occurs now ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

changed your sig before posting here to ensure max likes, you sly devil you

No things like that are still just club business but for things like DUI , domestic violence or assault why not have set penalties graded on the seriousness of the situation and the players track record

The things you've listed are actual crimes and should be handled by the police, not the AFL.

The things you've listed are actual crimes and should be handled by the police, not the AFL.

So if a player belts someone and gets a suspended sentence he's right to play next week or what about if they do something bad but get released on bail till their court date ? Thank god his court date is after the Grand Final. I'm not some do gooder complaining about player behaviour for the most part I don't really care.
I know that the league enforcing the penalties has worked OK in the NFL at least from the fans perspective , they get upset at the players for stuffing up but not so much at the teams as it's out of their hands.

Jordan DeGoey - level 1 DUI - 1st offence - 4 game suspension with mandatory counselling and a 5000 dollar fine

Just tidies things up IMO

To me,IMO, it seems like him needing to get in the right headspace rather than substance issues (excl alcohol). The club would keep close tabs on that side of things. And no im not being naive, i just find it hard to believe the club wouldn't act on that if that was the case.

There have been multuple occasions where the club has tolerated players abusing illicit drugs.

MJ has been pinged for both coke and pills. HB had known issues with Cocaine before we recruited him and has also been caught mixing pain killers and alcohol. Then there's the 3 strike policy and other occasions which we aren't made aware of.

Why do you find it hard to believe that the club wouldn't act on it? To my reckoning, they've made it explicity clear that they're willing to accept our players using drugs.

Last edited:
So if a player belts someone and gets a suspended sentence he's right to play next week or what about if they do something bad but get released on bail till their court date ? Thank god his court date is after the Grand Final. I'm not some do gooder complaining about player behaviour for the most part I don't really care.
I know that the league enforcing the penalties has worked OK in the NFL at least from the fans perspective , they get upset at the players for stuffing up but not so much at the teams as it's out of their hands.

Jordan DeGoey - level 1 DUI - 1st offence - 4 game suspension with mandatory counselling and a 5000 dollar fine

Just tidies things up IMO

Fair enough. I just disagree. IMO the AFL struggles to come up with fair and reasonable punishments for their own rules. They're changing the tribunal process again this year. How Cotchin played in the GF is beyond me. Putting them in charge of unfootball related punishments seems a recipe for disaster.
That's all.

Methinks the AFL - or the clubs walk a fine line when they hand out punishments for off field indiscretions. They can do a certain amount of punishing off field indiscretion as "hurting the brand", but step too far and they could face legal action for loss of income and/or other stuff. The clubs being franchises, AFL HQ might not be able to sanction players for off field stuff if they are club employees rather than AFL employees (someone here will know).

A lot of that stuff is sidestepped by having the playing group having a set of their own standards, it's that bit which get's you for having a few drinks the night before the game, the club enforces the playing groups rule. I'm not sure that the AFL could or should enforce a teams own standard, it's best left at the franchise.

I might have some of this the wrong way around, wouldn't be the first time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back