News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The best outcome for the club, sad to say, would be for Sandi and Harley to retire now.

The club could then draft a couple of SAFL/WAFL/VFL players who would at least get on the park. Also we would not be so top heavy with rucks.

It’s disguised well enough but it’s like a hidden priority pick imo. I heard Gillon saying last year he wants to explore ways of clubs rebuilding quicker - this is a way he’s brought in to try and help. This whole thing only exists to get the next Tim Kelly or Bailey Fritsch to the bottom few clubs rather than them slipping to the second round onwards in the National Draft when anyone could take them.

And it's a great idea I reckon. Much better than giving bottom clubs yet another 18yo with a priority pick.

The quicker clubs can bounce back when they're down the better the league will be.

And it's a great idea I reckon. Much better than giving bottom clubs yet another 18yo with a priority pick.

The quicker clubs can bounce back when they're down the better the league will be.

Can’t disagree with that.

It’ll be just another way to improve your list. The first pick will be bloody valuable. Doubt anyone will make much of an impact in the second half of a season if they weren’t on a list for the first. You might get the odd role player who plays in a premiership side every three to four years but generally speaking it’ll be about the medium to long term.

Also fans have been asking for injury replacements for years. Just makes the AFL look like they’re listening.

I don't think Harleys going to retire while he is under contract and being paid. He might accept a payout but isn't that still part of our salary cap. He can go on the long term injury list and we can elevate Carter.

Hypothetically he retires at the end of the season, can he sue us/AFL for his repeated/sustained calf injuries? Something along the lines that the club pushed him too hard and ruined his potential ability to earn a living playing football and we’re left to foot a $1.2M-$1.8M (4-6 x $300K) payout?

Hypothetically he retires at the end of the season, can he sue us/AFL for his repeated/sustained calf injuries? Something along the lines that the club pushed him too hard and ruined his potential ability to earn a living playing football and we’re left to foot a $1.2M-$1.8M (4-6 x $300K) payout?

He had the problem at Gold Coast

Have been a few cases of similar claims against clubs in the past. One of which I was involved with. Always ends up being a s*it fight over what happened when etc

Reading the history of the injury on AfL.com, they say he only had one calf injury there in his last pre season with them. Wonder if there was any history prior to that. I thought I remembered reading about him playing through it early on in his career

The Supplementary Selection period closes in mid-March?
That would mean that if (if) he was to retire (with payout) he has some time to make that decision and whoever gets picked could actually join before the season starts.

The Supplementary Selection period closes in mid-March?
That would mean that if (if) he was to retire (with payout) he has some time to make that decision and whoever gets picked could actually join before the season starts.
Yes that is a possibility. You would think that if this latest strain is severe and involves significant time recovering then he would likely pull the plug and retire.

If it is minor no harm giving him a go at rehab remembering he has a decent pre-season load behind him. There is always the mid-season draft after round 11 in reverse order from the bottom of the ladder at that time before all the teams have split rounds. As mentioned above this will allow for us to scour the state leagues. Our recruiting team will be well into their gig by that time of the year.

The bloke has an extended history of calf issues, has a great preseason to date with managed but similar loads to everyone else. Then we get a warning shot in the form of calf tightness. At this point shouldn’t we have completely de-loaded him?

2 weeks later he has a minor calf strain, followed by another whilst rehabbing. I’d have thought he’d just be getting massages and doing stretching at this point.

The bloke has an extended history of calf issues, has a great preseason to date with managed but similar loads to everyone else. Then we get a warning shot in the form of calf tightness. At this point shouldn’t we have completely de-loaded him?

2 weeks later he has a minor calf strain, followed by another whilst rehabbing. I’d have thought he’d just be getting massages and doing stretching at this point.
He doesn’t do much if anything in the rehab group.

"Mr Bennell, is Norma Jeans a recommended rehabilitation clinic for injuries of your type?"

Bennell suing the club for his problems would be taking the piss to a monumental extent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennell suing the club would be a bit much. But you have to wonder how his career would have ended up at a different club. Our medical team has proven themselves to be in the bottom rung of the competition for a sustained period of time. I suspect he would have played a lot more footy at say WC or Richmond.

Anyone thought of holding Harley just a little bit accountable?

Why would you call a guy constantly drunk in public accountable, everyone knows he took his rehab seriously, cause alcohol and injuries always mix /s

He could , but he wouldn't have a leg to stand on I am guessing.No pun intended.
He wont retire comes seasons end, he is out of contract then.This is his last season.
I am sorry the whole thing hasn't worked out for both Harley and the FFC.
So many bagging Fremantle for giving him a go, but I think they should be praised for giving him the chance.I have been critical of the FFC as well, but they gave him another chance.Sadly he and his body couldn't with stand the rigours of AFL.
It is my opinion only, make what you will of it, but I believe he was afraid of failing, hence. A couple of times last year he was told he was playing, but pulled out with injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back