Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Because a company deciding to stop selling a completely non-essential product is not the same as government imposed censorship.
I agree with that completely. But that doesn't mean "woke-washing" is immune from criticism.

There's no reason to wait for government censorship before criticising the decisions of companies. That's illogical.

So why is it that Hasbro have removed mr and mrs from the top?
The rebrand of Hasbro's Potato Head range brings it inline with Hasbro's other wonderful non-gender specific toys such as Furby and Transformers.

Personally I always found it confusing how a Mrs. Potato Head Mr. Potato Head could exist. There is now more clarity around what I am purchasing when I am browsing the Toy aisle at K-mart.

The rebrand of Hasbro's Potato Head range brings it inline with Hasbro's other wonderful non-gender specific toys such as Furby and Transformers.

Personally I always found it confusing how a Mrs. Potato Head Mr. Potato Head could exist. There is now more clarity around what I am purchasing when I am browsing the Toy aisle at K-mart.
Especially as they both present as gender-neutral until you put a moustache on one of them.

Only going around in circles because you can't prove necessity, pretty ends the discussion on spud heads for me.
Why do I need to prove necessity? I'm saying I don't have the information to do that.

You, however, seem to be saying you have all the information you need to prove absence of necessity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do I need to prove necessity? I'm saying I don't have the information to do that.

You, however, seem to be saying you have all the information you need to prove absence of necessity.

Because it's logic, it's not required to do this from a marketing perspective, nor is it necessary to appear politically correct regarding pro nouns if that is Hasbro's angle. Thought that would've been obvious.

Anyway I'll leave it there, you'll comprehend it or not.

There is nothing to prove, you have not comprehended that, it's basic logic.
facepalm.gif

This is just your opinion presented by you as "basic logic".

It's basic SOMETHING all right. Logic? No.

Well it wasn't, not for marketing purpose or any other purpose.
Hasbro rebranding some Transformers from the 'Energon' line to the 'Universe' line? Necessary or not?

414px-SteamhammerEnergonUniverse.jpg

Obviously not
What is your idea of 'marketing purpose'? There is obviously a necessity put forward by the internal marketing team or they would not have gone ahead with the re-brand. Why would a company spend 'x' amount of dollars re-branding if it was determined that such a re-brand was not necessary?

in fact not even relevant to the thread (or the discussion around pro nouns).
The connection is as tenuous as your original post.

Why no outrage for cancelling the 'Energon' line of Transformers?

What is your idea of 'marketing purpose'? There is obviously a necessity put forward by the internal marketing team or they would not have gone ahead with the re-brand. Why would a company spend 'x' amount of dollars re-branding if it was determined that such a re-brand was not necessary?

The connection is as tenuous as your original post.

Why no outrage for cancelling the 'Energon' line of Transformers?

1/ There is no need to remove pro nouns for marketing purposes, there are much more valid ways of marketing, like advertising - proven method. I suspect the removal of the pro nouns has more than just a marketing motive.

2/ My original post is merely pointing out that Hasbro has removed the pro nouns for no real reason, that does not make it 'tenuous' as you put it.

3/ I'm not outraging at all.

I'm starting to see the changes as being just like Fremantle council cancelling their fireworks display. They decided to spend millions on holding a fireworks display to compete with Perth and bring more people into the port city to support local businesses. This failed spectacularly. They decided that in order to show respect to indigenous groups they would no longer hold this celebration and not commit to spending millions more on it.

This allowed them to fix their mistake without ever admitting it was a mistake, avoiding wearing that, and position themselves as being better for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back