Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

But it wasn't necessary.

EDIT: The pronouns were removed from the top of the packaging (otherwise there wouldn't even be a discussion), Hasbro even publicly stated as much (paraphrasing) 'for non binary gender inclusion'. Again, not necessary from either a marketing strategy or to look politically correct or both.
This is the kind of argument you're making:

"I was driving my car when I suddenly lost control and crashed into a stobie pole.

My car's airbag instantly deployed and I suffered only a minor case of whiplash.

Paramedics said the airbag likely saved my life.

I'm fine now.

The airbag was unnecessary."

Last edited:
This is the kind of argument you're making:

"I was driving my car when I suddenly lost control and crashed into a stobie pole.

My car's airbag instantly deployed and I suffered only a minor case of whiplash.

Paramedics said the airbag likely saved my life.

I'm fine now.

The airbag wasn't unnecessary."

Maybe re read your post again, that has zero to do with removal of pronouns. Airbags in a crash ARE necessary in a crash and is nowhere near the debate I'm making.

This is not a politically motivated change. It is a grammatically motivated change.

When I am playing with a Mrs Potato Head toy under the old brand, this toy was considered a Mrs Potato Head Mr Potato Head. That's a bit weird isn't it? It's like calling a species "male animal" instead of just animal.

Now, with this exciting and long-overdue amendment, I am playing with a Mrs Potato Head Potato Head. That makes perfect sense!

Seems necessary to me. As an avid toy consumer I demand clarity and honesty when I am purchasing new products.

Thank you!!!! This is a question of grammar, and as usual the left-right political divide has taken over the issue.

This is actually just Hasbro being very late to the party where we don't say, "Hi I'm Joe Bloggs, and here is my wife Mrs Joe Bloggs."

Except in a sense they've just really grammatically corrected it so that it *is* as per the example of the above. So I look forward to the next step being to re-brand the toys as "Heads" and you can buy a Mr Potato Head and a Mrs Pumpkin Head.

Hasbro even publicly stated as much (paraphrasing) 'for non binary gender inclusion'
That's not paraphrasing.... that's bullshit.

Hasbro's press release stated they were "making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr. from the Mr. Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion."

There's no mention of non-binary people.

That's not paraphrasing.... That's bullshit.

Hasbro's press release said they were "making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr. from the Mr. Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion.

There's no mention of non-binary people.

Tomato tomayto, meant the same thing.

"making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr. from the Mr. Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion.

It is still Hasbro promoting gender equality, exactly what I meant. All of which is not necessary seeing how it seems the broader community already supports minority groups.

Last edited:
It is still Hasbro promote gender equality, exactly what I meant. All of which is not necessary seeing how it seems the broader community already supports minority groups.
Wait THIS is your “logic”??

How is logic bullshit?
Your logic is:
“Stop doing things that impact me in no way at all because I, without any real evidence, think it doesn’t need to be done and doing it just supports people who everyone already supports.”

It’s just bullshit.

Tell us why you REALLY don’t think it should happen.

Your logic is:
“Stop doing things that impact me in no way at all because I, without any real evidence, think it doesn’t need to be done and doing it just supports people who everyone already supports.”

It’s just bullshit.

Tell us why you REALLY don’t think it should happen.

Umm, that's how you interpret it, it is not my thinking. How about you prove the necessity of removing pronouns in the name of gender equality or marketing purposes instead of making wild accusations trying to incorrectly read my thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umm, that's how you interpret it, it is not my thinking. How about you prove the necessity of removing pronouns in the name of gender equality or marketing purposes instead of making wild accusations trying to incorrectly read my thoughts.
You JUST SAID that.

It doesn’t need to be done because people already support minorities.

Your words.

Correct so Hasbro's public statement removing pronouns in support of gender equality was not necessary. Glad we agree and glad you got the logic.
So now you agree with what I said.

After disagreeing with it.

You agree that your “logic” is:

“Stop doing things that impact me in no way at all because I, without any real evidence, think it doesn’t need to be done, and doing it just supports people who everyone already supports.”

But even the reports of attacks on people after Mardi Gras parade in Sydney show that this isn’t the case.

You’re wrong. Your “logic” is ridiculous.

“Stop doing things that impact me in no way at all because I, without any real evidence, think it doesn’t need to be done, and doing it just supports people who everyone already supports.”

But even the reports of attacks on people after Mardi Gras parade in Sydney show that this isn’t the case.

It’s gotta be a troll job at this point.

How about you prove the necessity of removing pronouns in the name of gender equality or marketing purposes
I work in marketing.

I can confirm it is easier to sell a Potato Head toy to little girls when it is called Potato Head toy and not Mr. Potatohead toy.

Same as it is easier to sell a Transformer toy to a little boy when it is not called Mrs. Transformer toy.

Ummm Chief, I think you've got really confused here.

1/ I've never stated anything was my logic, I'm just using what is called logic. I don't own the term logic.

2/ “Stop doing things that impact me in no way at all because I, without any real evidence, think it doesn’t need to be done, and doing it just supports people who everyone already supports.”

I never stated this ^, I don't know where you got that from.

3/ if you're going to use attacks on people at the Mardi Gras as some sort of justification to use removal of pronouns in a futile attempt to somehow eradicate all and every assault then I don't know what to tell you. Apart from you're looking for some sort utopian world where every single person is devoid of prejudice - removing pronouns will not achieve that.

Minority. Groups. In. Liberal. Domestic. Societies. Already. Have. The. Support. Of. The. Broader. Community

I can't make that any clearer.

I work in marketing.

I can confirm it is easier to sell a Potato Head toy to little girls when it is called Potato Head toy and not Mr. Potatohead toy.

Same as it is easier to sell a Transformer toy to a little boy when it is not called Mrs. Transformer toy.

Well that is obvious, so like many other toy companies around the world like whoever Barbie is - what's worked for them since the dolls inception is that Barbie is / always has been marketed toward girls.

There are other examples of toys that are / always have been marketed toward boys.

Then there are toys that are / always have been marketed toward all genders. Like lego.

Ok so on face value, Hasbro has removed the pronouns (or partly) for marketing purposes yet they tell us it is to be gender neutral, not for marketing purposes - that is inconsistent innit. It's the same as pissing in someone's pocket and telling em it's raining.

So previous to this their sales must've plummeted badly, reckon that's drawing a long bow.

Ok so on face value, Hasbro has removed the pronouns (or partly) for marketing purposes yet they tell us it is to be gender neutral, not for marketing purposes - that is inconsistent
They removed a pronoun from the brand, leaving it on the individual products. In order to sell more plastic junk.

And of course we're back to: How does this impact you? Why do you care?

Answers: It doesn't impact you in any way. You didn't care until the culture warrior leadership told you to.

They removed a pronoun from the brand, leaving it on the individual products. In order to sell more plastic junk.

And of course we're back to: How does this impact you? Why do you care?

Answers: It doesn't impact you in any way. You didn't care until the culture warrior leadership told you to.

I don't care really, I'm just pointing out (because of the thread topic) that Hasbro removed pronouns(not that they have completely) in a show of support for gender neutrality (their public statement), yet the argument is they did this for marketing purposes. So which is it? And why was it necessary? Was it both? If so just tell the public so.

IF Hasbro did this for sales yet publicly state otherwise then that's pissing in your pocket and telling you it's raining. It's being disingenuous using a front of 'look at us we're being politically correct' as a pr stunt to get everyone talking about their product. That seems to be the assumption from everyone defending saying they're doing so for marketing purposes. According to Hasbro this is not for marketing purposes.

Lastly I'll say this, those who want to describe my argument as being 'outraged' or 'doesn't impact me' or the fact that I care, or implying I'm a troll (which I have grounds to report for but won't because that makes me as bad as the poster implying it) - you're assuming emotion from behind a keyboard.

I'm gonna leave it there, I've made my position clear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back