Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

More like they need to not be for homophobic campaigners
And that is what I mean. Non-homophobes moving into Cumberland shire would skew voting habits and hence much less chance of anti-human rights candidates holding office.

Ideally ALL anti-human rights campaigners would be barred from all forms of political expression but babysteps I guess.

It’s a Labor majority council. Of the eight Labor councils, one didn’t attend, one left the meeting early, and one crossed the floor.

They need less gutless councillors who won’t cave to the bogan idiot Christou.
You're dead right. Check this out;

May 08th 2024

The Labor councillor who voted to "rid" Cumberland City Council libraries of books that show same-sex parents will run for the party later this year.

6 News can confirm Mohamad Hussein, who represents South Granville Ward, won Labor preselection earlier this year and will seek re-election at the local government elections on September 14.

Hussein was won of six councillors to vote for an Our Local Community (OLC)-introduced amendment which stated: "That Council take immediate action to rid same sex parents books/materials in Council’s library service".

The motion was passed 6-5, with all OLC councillors − Steve Christou, Paul Garrard and Helen Hughes − along with Greg Cummings (The Independents) and Michael Zaiter (Independent Liberal) voting in favour.

Five Labor councillors voted against, but it was Hussein's vote in favour that saw the motion carried.

6 News understands another Labor councillor, Ola Hamed, may have walked out of the council meeting and did not vote on the motion to ban books showing same-sex parents.

The only other Labor councillor, Sabrin Farooqui, appears to not have been at the meeting at all...

Gutless indeed. This is about human rights. In my opinion anti-human rights campaigners should have NO PLACE in the democratic process let alone in civil society at large.

Even if a majority of voters wish it universal human rights must NEVER be taken away from a minority group unless that group itself seeks to strip rights away. Human rights must always take priority over democratic wish.

You're dead right. Check this out;

Gutless indeed. This is about human rights. In my opinion anti-human rights campaigners should have NO PLACE in the democratic process let alone in civil society at large.

Even if a majority of voters wish it universal human rights must NEVER be taken away from a minority group unless that group itself seeks to strip rights away. Human rights must always take priority over democratic wish.
That makes universal human rights incompatible with democracy.

What makes a human right “universal”?

Much like unfettered free speech, democracy without boundaries is a bad idea. A modified democracy, bound by human decency, is the way forward.
The people of Cumberland elected this council and given the demographics of the area I suspect they agree with them.

What does “bound by human decency” mean? Many in that part of Sydney would describe same-sex relationships as “indecent”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The people of Cumberland elected this council and given the demographics of the area I suspect they agree with them.

What does “bound by human decency” mean? Many in that part of Sydney would describe same-sex relationships as “indecent”
To me human decency means a belief in universal respect for all races, cultures, sexual preferences and gender expressions. It means an active belief in the promotion of common rights for all. Admiration may well be earned, but to my mind respect is a constant that can only be lost. Lost through the mistreatment of others and the denial of their place in our common humanity.

Within this framework the ethno-religious supremacist rejects the idea of a common humanity and actively works against it. Should such an individual or such a group be able to participate in our society at large when it does not believe in it and actively works to take away human rights or to prevent them being extended to more sections of society?

To me human decency means a belief in universal respect for all races, cultures, sexual preferences and gender expressions. It means an active belief in the promotion of common rights for all. Admiration may well be earned, but to my mind respect is a constant that can only be lost. Lost through the mistreatment of others and the denial of their place in our common humanity.

Within this framework the ethno-religious supremacist rejects the idea of a common humanity and actively works against it. Should such an individual or such a group be able to participate in our society at large when it does not believe in it and actively works to take away human rights or to prevent them being extended to more sections of society?

Do you also stop Emirates, Qatar or Ethiad from operating to and from Australia?

Do you also stop Emirates, Qatar or Ethiad from operating to and from Australia?
That is an interesting question. The Middle East as a whole seems a horrorshow of inequality. Islam, both Sunni and Shia, needs a reformation and a need to come to terms with the secular world.

I think Australia does need to predicate more of its business directives on the principle of universal human rights. If airlines and other multi-national corporations wish to do business here there must be minimum standards they should adhere to.

I sorta wish we headed back to twentieth century queer theory that rejected marriage is hetero institution and these chundering dickheads could have kept their own little safe space, masculinity unchallenged and just left us the f*** alone
Isn't holy matrimony the religious sacrament and marriage the 'secular' institution? I thought that was a point of difference?

No surprises that rationale for the decision is "the book doesn't reflect our community" when these types of areas in this region voted no on the same sex marriage plebiscite.

No surprises that rationale for the decision is "the book doesn't reflect our community" when these types of areas in this region voted no on the same sex marriage plebiscite.
Do you think banning books because you don't agree with a law is an appropriate response?

That is an interesting question. The Middle East as a whole seems a horrorshow of inequality. Islam, both Sunni and Shia, needs a reformation and a need to come to terms with the secular world.

I think Australia does need to predicate more of its business directives on the principle of universal human rights. If airlines and other multi-national corporations wish to do business here there must be minimum standards they should adhere to.
Everyone likes to talk of "values" when its politically convenient, the middle eastern countries anti West, the western countries talk of equal human rights, but both will set their values aside and lean into each others money when their is an opportunity.

What if a majority-Muslim area in Sydney like Lakemba decided that Judeo-Christian literature no longer reflected that community and voted to ban it?

The idea that universal human rights trump democratic wish is a necessary one, I believe. In the above example why should Christians and Jews suffer despite being minorities?

Do you think banning books because you don't agree with a law is an appropriate response?
Seems like that council, and alot of their constituents do. Remember it wasnt so long ago that hundreds of locals turned up there in support of banning drag book reading events locally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back