Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

At Wentworthville library in the Cumberland Council area any aspiring Nazi is free to reserve this copy of Mein Kampf which is currently on the shelf according to their catalogue.
Mein Kampf should be available. It's atrocious. If Hitler didn't start WW2, he should have been hung for crimes against literature.

Reading it today makes just about anyone anti-Nazi.

Mein Kampf should be available. It's atrocious. If Hitler didn't start WW2, he should have been hung for crimes against literature.

Reading it today makes just about anyone anti-Nazi.
I completely agree, Hitler was a barely literate moron but if you're of the view that gay parenting books are going turn you gay you'd think there might be a few other nasties tucked away on those library shelves.

What if a majority-Muslim area in Sydney like Lakemba decided that Judeo-Christian literature no longer reflected that community and voted to ban it?

The idea that universal human rights trump democratic wish is a necessary one, I believe. In the above example why should Christians and Jews suffer despite being minorities?
But what makes human rights universal? Because a UN charter says so? There are still plenty of countries in the middle east, Africa and Asia where the laws and general societal attitude towards gay people are not reflected in human rights values.

I completely agree, Hitler was a barely literate moron but if you're of the view that gay parenting books are going turn you gay you'd think there might be a few other nasties tucked away on those library shelves.
I read Bananas in Pajamas as a kid and I don't even own pajamas now.
Myth busted.

Hmm. The copies of Mein Kampf are both LOTE - Language Other Than English - editions. Are english-language copies not legal or something?
I bought an English translation in the 90s for a project. I wouldn't know what is named y these days, although in Australia we thankfully haven't gone down the US route of banning hundreds of books

I used to live and work in that area and frequented those libraries. It’s a very typically Western Sydney area in terms of ethnic diversity, lot of different faiths, I.e. not a place of realistic entitlement for Christians specifically.

To be fair, a book like that easily accessible in the ‘toddler’ section, I get it. I think reshelving rather than banning is the answer there though. I see this council already banned drag queen storytime so it’s obviously a larger discrimination-prone issue and more active agenda than the book itself.

I bought an English translation in the 90s for a project. I wouldn't know what is named y these days, although in Australia we thankfully haven't gone down the US route of banning hundreds of books
We used to ban books regularly back in the day through the 60s (sexual mores, race, ideology, unauth bios, obscenity, inflammatory, etc.). Around the time of Roth’s Portnoy’s Complaint it started to look more ridiculous and has been more exceptional and scarce in the past half century (American Psycho being shrink wrapped or brown paper bagged in some states the most visible censorship example).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read Lady Chatterly's Lover and have always fancied a bit of Mellors action so they could be on to something.

To me human decency means a belief in universal respect for all races, cultures, sexual preferences and gender expressions. It means an active belief in the promotion of common rights for all. Admiration may well be earned, but to my mind respect is a constant that can only be lost. Lost through the mistreatment of others and the denial of their place in our common humanity.

Within this framework the ethno-religious supremacist rejects the idea of a common humanity and actively works against it. Should such an individual or such a group be able to participate in our society at large when it does not believe in it and actively works to take away human rights or to prevent them being extended to more sections of society?
That system of belief you have is limited to a very small slice of time, among a very small group of people. It’s not universal at all.

We used to ban books regularly back in the day through the 60s (sexual mores, race, ideology, unauth bios, obscenity, inflammatory, etc.). Around the time of Roth’s Portnoy’s Complaint it started to look more ridiculous and has been more exceptional and scarce in the past half century (American Psycho being shrink wrapped or brown paper bagged in some states the most visible censorship example).
It's a fair point in the wider context of this thread - we're seeing less 'cancel culture' as time goes by, not more.

Nostalgic for the old "Banned in Queensland!" sash on VHS tape covers.
How many titles do YOU own?

Fair whack of my DVD collection in there.

Toxic Avenger, Opera, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Silent Night-Deadly Night, Bad Taste, Re-Animator, Hellraiser II, Friday the 13th Part 2.

Golden age of VHS.

Someone should do a coffee table book of those old VHS covers.

I suspect there are some big name Hollywood figures amongst all that. Peter Jackson made the list.

There are some there i've never seen, i'll have to see if i can download buy them.
I know that just about all of Troma's titles are available for a small charge, direct from Troma.

I suspect there are some big name Hollywood figures amongst all that. Peter Jackson made the list.

There are some there i've never seen, i'll have to see if i can download buy them.
I know that just about all of Troma's titles are available for a small charge, direct from Troma.

Yeah the early Peter Jackson films (ie Bad Taste, Braindead) were low budget NZ horror/comedy. Fairly graphic but somewhat amusing. They were usually available under the counter from video stores in places they were banned.

Much like unfettered free speech, democracy without boundaries is a bad idea. A modified democracy, bound by human decency, is the way forward.
Democracy without boundaries isn't democracy, it's anarchy.

We'll head that way if we're not careful, 'without boundaries' is a consequence of 'no consequence' liberalism. < By that I mean there is no deterrent / discipline for ill doing.

ANY societal model MUST have law and order or social elements if you will, otherwise .............

But what makes human rights universal? Because a UN charter says so? There are still plenty of countries in the middle east, Africa and Asia where the laws and general societal attitude towards gay people are not reflected in human rights values.
It's not nice to think about if you like having rights, but rights are just made up. The only authority they have is what we collectively (or perhaps more accurately, what the lawmakers and enforcers) decide we're cool with. Lots of people lose sight of this when they get on soapboxes about other parts of the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back