Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

What is everyones take on this blockout2024 ?

Seems very weird to cancel a celebrity for not commenting on a geopolitical issue they dont want to.

Or should everyone be calling for a ceasefire in Gaza ?

How are they being "cancelled"? How would I determine a cancelled celebrity vs a non-cancelled celebrity?

So apparently they are either unfollowing celebrities or blocking them on social media to deprive them of an audience.

I don't know if it is a full cancel, i find it a bit strange to he honest.

That's kind of what I was getting at. What is cancelling, really then?

If I can't unfollow a celebrity on social media without being accused of engaging in cancel culture, then are we saying that celebrities are entitled to my following?

Cancel culture is such a nothing concept. It's the consequences of actions, and it's nothing new.

I only put it on this here because I felt like it fit here.
If I can't unfollow a celebrity on social media without being accused of engaging in cancel culture, then are we saying that celebrities are entitled to my following?
Absolutely, no one is arguing that.

What's going on here is a campaign to, as far as I can tell, to get people to unfollow people who don't talk about Gaza.

Again, that's their right to unfollow who they want.
Cancel culture is such a nothing concept. It's the consequences of actions, and it's nothing new.

Absolutely I 100% agree.

It's just I find it odd that influencers are encouraging people to not follow other influencers because they didn't talk about Gaza.

It's just a way of justifying a viewpoint that a lot of people disagree with.

If you've the time to watch it, give this a squiz:

Natalie Wynn going over a timeline of her own cancelling from her own community, why it happened and an in depth exploration of how it happens and why whilst also touching on other people for whom being cancelled - or at least, being the enemy of the twitter mob - has had real life consequences.

It's definitely a thing; just, it's not a thing to those who are complaining loudest about it. J K Rowling still would still be on a publisher's speeddial; Dave Chappelle is having zero difficulty selling out theatres, venues or getting in that sweet, sweet Netflix money; Mel Gibson is directing and acting again, and making a pretty amount of coin while doing it. Those who have been cancelled were those of a limited community, whose popularity was reliant on that community's support and goodwill.

Turns out, having a broad appeal insulates one from being cancelled, at least some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Natalie Wynn going over a timeline of her own cancelling from her own community, why it happened and an in depth exploration of how it happens and why whilst also touching on other people for whom being cancelled - or at least, being the enemy of the twitter mob - has had real life consequences.

It's definitely a thing; just, it's not a thing to those who are complaining loudest about it. J K Rowling still would still be on a publisher's speeddial; Dave Chappelle is having zero difficulty selling out theatres, venues or getting in that sweet, sweet Netflix money; Mel Gibson is directing and acting again, and making a pretty amount of coin while doing it. Those who have been cancelled were those of a limited community, whose popularity was reliant on that community's support and goodwill.

Turns out, having a broad appeal insulates one from being cancelled, at least some.

Cancel culture is not new as Engimal v3 pointed out, maybe in the internet age it's a lot easier to marshal troops and whip up outrage, and the "cancelee" is under a lot more stress as a result.

This is not quite cancel culture but the furore after the ring announcer read the wrong result on the weekend was fierce, and he's retiring after his next event which he had already committed to.

I feel bad for him, I mean epic **** up but we've all made mistakes at work, he's an older bloke who probably doesn't get paid enough for all of this shit, it got intense on social media for Dan for sure i reckon.

Steve f***ing Christou.
A welcome update on the Cumberland Shire situation.

May 16, 2024

A Sydney council has voted to reverse a controversial same-sex parenting book ban that prompted national outrage and an online petition with tens of thousands of signatures.

In a fiery and at-times unruly meeting that stretched late into Wednesday night, Cumberland City Council voted 12-2 to rescind the May 1 earlier decision to ban such titles.

More than a dozen members of the public, including several from the LGBTQI community and some from other parts of Sydney, addressed the meeting before the vote, amid constant heckling from the public gallery...

Welcome news for us pro-humanity folk anyway, less so for those anti-human rights campaigners out there!

A welcome update on the Cumberland Shire situation.

Welcome news for us pro-humanity folk anyway, less so for those anti-human rights campaigners out there!
It was fun seeing Steve Christou auditioning for the f*** off we're full crowd over at Pauline's place by using a largely middle eastern faith as his justification for homophobia.

it also seems to be about global inequality.

But the only online stuff Ive seen was about Gaza ?

Edit - there is a site ! Double edit - cant tell if legit

Amazing , i'm ahead of my time.
I've had everyone on TikTok blocked forever.
I didn't even know they were blocked , since i assumed "blocking" meant you couldn't go there if you wanted.

Noone cares anyway. Maybe originally when it was a couple of people.

i wonder if anyone on BF has followed orders and stopped following someone for whatever reason of the day they were outraged over.

they raise an early point which is weirdly and demonstrably wrong and probably just a mistake - that cancel culture is cancelling someone within their own community.

but i generally agree with the crux of their comments. attempting to cancel figureheads of one's own movements is kind of a rite of passage. especially if those figureheads closely align with your values, because this proves to the same mob how determined and pure your ideals are. it demonstrates your credibility as a feminist to pillory germaine greer, your metoo and trans ally credo if you can call out rose mcgowan. there's always the sense of splintering and eating their own. sometimes because they are using their movement's power in support of tangential ideals. are members of our movement that don't openly support hamas, the best examples of our movement? they can be separate issues, if people let them.

they raise an early point which is weirdly and demonstrably wrong and probably just a mistake - that cancel culture is cancelling someone within their own community.

but i generally agree with the crux of their comments. attempting to cancel figureheads of one's own movements is kind of a rite of passage. especially if those figureheads closely align with your values, because this proves to the same mob how determined and pure your ideals are. it demonstrates your credibility as a feminist to pillory germaine greer, your metoo and trans ally credo if you can call out rose mcgowan. there's always the sense of splintering and eating their own. sometimes because they are using their movement's power in support of tangential ideals. are members of our movement that don't openly support hamas, the best examples of our movement? they can be separate issues, if people let them.
she's talking about how she defines cancelling in the context of her video, ie what specifically she is experiencing and talking about

and is clear to define that what is often referred to as cancelling in the conservative media in regards to comedians etc is not in fact cancelling

Dave Chappelle has no issue finding an audience, John Cleese is everywhere complaining about it and making shows

Jerry Seinfeld complained about it to get publicity for his movie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back