Have Dogs Played Their Last Game Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

It also depends on how hard it hits us and the economy.No one knows this and anyone who says it is guessing. Players shouldn't be negotiating their salaries now. How about waiting to see how Australia fares first? In a worst case scnerio plaers could be playing on 15-20$ of their salary and should be grateful at that. How would it look if we were in a recession or depression seeing footballers running out on a million plus. the public wouldn't tolerate it. Middle to long term players should be set up financially anyway if they have decent management. The general public doesn't have this luxury.

AFLPA came to AFl with proposed two month 50% pay cut; AFL said no deal. Who knows what happens, but the players perspectives will change as all the non-player staff get stood down around them.
This issue will generate a lot of debate.

My view is: The players have milked the good times for all they're worth ... and good luck to them. But the entire population is heading for bad economic times like almost none in living memory (only nonagenarians will remember anything of the Great Depression). So the players have to wear the pain as well. Those who have been playing for a few years should have been able to stash away a fair bit in cash or assets to keep them going. It's obviously going to be different and much harder for the first and second year players.

And they have to understand that this is an existential crisis for professional football. If there are no TV revenues, no ticket sales and the members and sponsors drop off then the AFL simply won't have money to fund the TPP. Clubs may not have the money to even keep going. The money just won't be anywhere in the system so demanding 50% of existing contracts won't work. Many of their jobs (i.e. list spots) probably won't be there either, because lists will be reduced and/or clubs reduced.

I think both the AFL and AFLPA have started with ambit claims (50% vs 79%) and it will probably end up closer to the AFL's proposal. 25% of an average senior players' salary ($400,000?) will seem like the lap of luxury in the near future.

Mind sets are going to have to change everywhere, not just in sport. It's no coincidence that in times of prosperity we drift towards free market competition and bargaining but in times of economic crisis we are forced back toward co-operation, collective sacrifice and a renewed focus on welfare. Just look at how this driest of conservative governments has suddenly opened up the treasury coffers to provide welfare to employers and the unemployed.

This issue will generate a lot of debate.

My view is: The players have milked the good times for all they're worth ... and good luck to them. But the entire population is heading for bad economic times like almost none in living memory (only nonagenarians will remember anything of the Great Depression). So the players have to wear the pain as well. Those who have been playing for a few years should have been able to stash away a fair bit in cash or assets to keep them going. It's obviously going to be different and much harder for the first and second year players.

And they have to understand that this is an existential crisis for professional football. If there are no TV revenues, no ticket sales and the members and sponsors drop off then the AFL simply won't have money to fund the TPP. Clubs may not have the money to even keep going. The money just won't be anywhere in the system so demanding 50% of existing contracts won't work. Many of their jobs (i.e. list spots) probably won't be there either, because lists will be reduced and/or clubs reduced.

I think both the AFL and AFLPA have started with ambit claims (50% vs 79%) and it will probably end up closer to the AFL's proposal. 25% of an average senior players' salary ($400,000?) will seem like the lap of luxury in the near future.

Mind sets are going to have to change everywhere, not just in sport. It's no coincidence that in times of prosperity we drift towards free market competition and bargaining but in times of economic crisis we are forced back toward co-operation, collective sacrifice and a renewed focus on welfare. Just look at how this driest of conservative governments has suddenly opened up the treasury coffers to provide welfare to employers and the unemployed.

Agree with this. They should be still earning more than most people(who have a job) and should be grateful than that. The whole costs of the AFL have to reduce signicantly because we have little say over our revenues and our negotatiing position is unusually great.

IMO we should have the teams and games status quo to pacify supporters who would be understandably nervous. And then just let Gold Coast go the way of Fitzroy, we don't have to embarrass them just cut or reduce the funding. I would look at a third team in Perth/WA. Rich, AFL mad and would be able to genmerate sponsorship from the go, supporters and more interest to the WA public which is one of the AFL cash cows. Hell, they couldn't do worse than Gold Coast. Then we still have 9 games a week, we are not losing a traditional club and it creates more interest.

If this season is cut short or shorter, wouldn’t surprise me if Corporate Gil makes the next few seasons or next season longer to try & get some money back.

Hell, make everyone play twice so get ready for 34 rounds of pulsating AFL foopy on hte telly

Tom Boyd must be thanking his lucky stars (that he got out when he did, not the reason he got out).

Given he forego money by ending his career when he did I suspect it wouldn't have bothered him one little bit...

In fact given all the talk here of Bev and Bont's emotional/social intelligence, TB would have been in the exact same boat.
Ie. Society is more important than sport. Let's end this rubbish "season".

Edit: Sorry, not having a go at all. Just bored... 😉

It will literally all depend on the players and the player association. In my opinion, if players don’t play they should only be paid a fraction of their contract value based on training time, etc.

If the bloke who works at the pub can’t work or get paid because all the pubs are shut, why should Aussie rules players be any different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will literally all depend on the players and the player association. In my opinion, if players don’t play they should only be paid a fraction of their contract value based on training time, etc.

If the bloke who works at the pub can’t work or get paid because all the pubs are shut, why should Aussie rules players be any different?
Whilst I don't disagree that on the whole the players will need to receive some substantial cuts, at least a bloke working at a pub can (theoretically) go and find work elsewhere to make up for that lost pay. AFL players are still locked into their contracts and can't do that, unless they quit.

I'm by no means saying players are hard done by here and clearly a bloke at a pub is going to struggle immensely to find alternative revenue at this time, but cutting a rookie's salary right down could put them in a difficult spot too. Different story for those who've been in the system for a while earning big cash, obviously, so they should be the types who get hit with salary cuts first and foremost. Not that I expect that would happen.

Well I would assume next years season would require television or some sort of electronic media for each game. For that, they need every team playing to make the 9 games. The AFL(or the 20% left over - what a disgrace that is) will also need to add a few bells and whistles to sponsors and fans to make up for this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if the players in every team over a certain level will be asked politely to take a pay cut. Given the high amount they earn, and the fact that many people won't have a job, it is the fair thing to do and a necessity. Who knows what sponsors will be around the following year.

And the best pay cut of all, get rid of Mc Laughlin. He plays the season purely out of self interest(stuff the players) and when it is cut after ONE round, he sacks 80% of the staff. What a guy. A CEO needs vision, good decision making and loyalty to his staff. Surely there is someone in Australia who could do a better job.
As I understand it no one has been sacked at AFL or Club level. They have been stood down indefinitely or have taken pay cuts. They will have a job when this blows over.

Don’t see any clubs folding due to this, as it will pass & things will eventually get back to normal. Due to the success of the AFL business model, they can open up credit lines if needed to pay back when money starts coming in again. There will be short term pain for everyone involved though.

A 15/16 team competition is optimal, if anything GC should be folded & maybe merge Norf/Saints & send them to Tassie.

So here are the latest wage figures as far as I can find:
Average wage: $371,000
1st Rd Draft Picks: $88,000
Rookie: $71,500
Perhaps even a 50% cut for draftees and rookies is a serious impost on their livelihoods, so perhaps either they are excused or reduced by a small fraction.
Many established players, however, should be able to wear a bigger cut than 50%. I'm sure the AFL and AFLPA could come up with a sliding scale of discounts which would be fair to each individual.
Of course, if the AFL is so flushed with funds and able to bankroll the clubs, then perhaps large cuts can be avoided. However, if this crisis persists long term, as I think it will, then a fair deal needs to be done to ensure all teams survive.

Interesting to see the webpage now has a COVID-19 section :oops:

1585105308252.png

If the dogs weren't in the league I wouldn't watch footy ever again

I rarely watch games outside of ours as it is. I used to love the game, but now I'm only invested in the Dogs.

Last edited:
So here are the latest wage figures as far as I can find:
Average wage: $371,000
1st Rd Draft Picks: $88,000
Rookie: $71,500
Perhaps even a 50% cut for draftees and rookies is a serious impost on their livelihoods, so perhaps either they are excused or reduced by a small fraction.
Many established players, however, should be able to wear a bigger cut than 50%. I'm sure the AFL and AFLPA could come up with a sliding scale of discounts which would be fair to each individual.
Of course, if the AFL is so flushed with funds and able to bankroll the clubs, then perhaps large cuts can be avoided. However, if this crisis persists long term, as I think it will, then a fair deal needs to be done to ensure all teams survive.
It’s apparently only 50% from now to when footy starts back up (maybe June???). They have already been payed 40% of this years wage. So 50% of two months isn’t very much at all. It’s the 50% figure in the headline that gets the attention.

It’s times like these I wish we still had old Smorgon in charge. His family was worth a billion, surely he would’ve bailed us out!

It’s times like these I wish we still had old Smorgon in charge. His family was worth a billion, surely he would’ve bailed us out!
Nick Riewoldt suggesting clubs become privately owned to save them.....

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

This is what happens when f@&king unions get involved.
The AFLPA are a pack of greedy f&@kwits.
80% of staff at the AFL and clubs have been stood down with no pay and the rest are still working full time for large pay cuts and these selfish pr1cks keep arguing about their pay packets being cut a mere fraction of what every single person in Australia is copping.
In this time of survival everyone else is pulling together and these f&@king selfish morons think they are above everyone else including the clubs and the AFL.
They are embarrassing themselves and Paul Marsh should be ****ed off and never heard from again!

It’s apparently only 50% from now to when footy starts back up (maybe June???). They have already been payed 40% of this years wage. So 50% of two months isn’t very much at all. It’s the 50% figure in the headline that gets the attention.
Journos write any bollocks to get a headline.

The players are offering a 50% pay cut for two months. That's 50% of 2/12ths = 8.3% pay cut. Write that as your headline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back