Votes: 161 71.6%
  • No. But have entertained the idea.

Votes: 20 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Switching teams = not a chance.

Premiership in 1997 1998 = following.
Wooden spoon in 2020 = following.

Was 9 when the Dockers entered, but too entrenched an Eagles fan to swap. Most West Australians just followed the Eagles by default - some switched to the Dockers, others stayed on. Then those who were born after say 1990 would actually had a choice from their earliest years.

Grew up in alice so port supporter in the sanfl in the 70s. started following hawks in the vfl late 70s until i saw them play some club i'd never heard off in round one 1979. switched by quarter time - found my vfl team. what an idiot!
when port joined the afl i went to that last game in 97 - invited to the port members area by port mad uncle. still didn't know who i supported more. by half time i was cheering on the saints loudly. uncle never invited me again. still fond of port but only got room for one team.

I find even if you try following another team the passion just isn't there.

Yep, as a big fan of the North Melbourne Giants in the 90s when they disappeared so did my interest in the NBL, I genuinely tried with the so called United (🤦‍♂️) and Phoenix but just can't muster a morsel of passion

I was an impressionable 7yr old kid in 1995. The old man had raised me a Carlton supporter. Then Easter Sunday 1995 came along, the uncles who are all mad Richmond fans took me to Waverley in the pouring rain for a Richmond v Hawthorn match. It was a dour match to say the least, but intense all the way through. The uncles spent the day teaching me the Richmond theme song, and the Tiges won 4.16 to 5.4. From that moment on the Tiges had my heart.

Massive sliding doors moment, if Hawthorn won that I would more likely than not still be Carlton. shudder

I was an impressionable 7yr old kid in 1995. The old man had raised me a Carlton supporter. Then Easter Sunday 1995 came along, the uncles who are all mad Richmond fans took me to Waverley in the pouring rain for a Richmond v Hawthorn match. It was a dour match to say the least, but intense all the way through. The uncles spent the day teaching me the Richmond theme song, and the Tiges won 4.16 to 5.4. From that moment on the Tiges had my heart.

Massive sliding doors moment, if Hawthorn won that I would more likely than not still be Carlton. shudder
For the next 20 years, you must have thought "what was I thinking" :)

Why, did your WAFL & SANFL teams no longer exist? Or do you still follow them but also follow AFL sides? You could have chosen to keep following your state leagues only couldn’t you?

I have supported Richmond for close on 60 years as did my dad and granddad before me and I lived in the suburb all my life until I got married. Couldn’t afford to live there now which amuses me.

I would never change sides even if the Tigers went to a different league because I support Richmond Football Club not the AFL. If RFC ceased to exist I would not follow anyone.
I know where you’re coming from.
I lived in the UK for a few years, 1988-1991.
A friend asked me if l wanted to watch the local soccer team which was AFC Wimbledon. We could walk to Plough Lane, have a few pints and get a walk up ticket. They were in the top flight then (first division, before it became the premier league).
They won the FA cup in 88 and were great to watch as they were known as “the crazy gang”. Followed them all over the place.
Then they got sold and moved to Milton Keynes and became the MK Dons so l stopped following them. Someone restarted the club again as AFC Wimbledon in a local league and now they have worked their way up to League 2. I still follow them even though they are not in the big league as it was the club I followed not the league.
Was back in the UK last year so got to see their new ground at Plough Lane and relive a few past glories.

In the AFL no but in the NBL I have. I started with the Melbourne Tigers but when they folded I lost interest until South East Melbourne came in so went for them until the JackJumpers joined because I like the name. So now I go for Jackjumpers.

Cockburn

They were all eagle supporters.

Then turncoated. Worse possible supporters. Scum.

Um.... no.

I have posted this many times.

Not all dockers fans in 1995 were eagles fans from 1987-1994.

Again... I didnt follow west coast from 1987-1994. As I posted I was a carlton fan before I was a dockers fan in late 2001 or early 2002. So that myth is killed off right there and then.

DQ 4EVER also admitted in following carlton before the dockers.

So theres a few dockers fans that fit in one of these descriptions....

- followed the eagles in 1987 then followed the dockers in 1995.

- didnt follow the eagles in 1987, but Followed another VFL or AFL club and followed the dockers in 1995.

- Didnt follow a VFL or AFL club in 1987-1994. They followed a WAFL club like South Freo, East freo or Claremont. Then followed the dockers in 1995.

- Someone with No WAFL links or AFL links then followed the dockers after 1995. Which fits me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah Pies all the way. It's a genetic disease with us, causes brain damage but IDC LOL.

Absolutely fine for people to change teams. Nephew was a contrarisn, wouldn't follow the family club Collingwood, got tricked by a rat mate into barracking for Brisbane (nothing wrong with Brisbane but the mate said "our school is in Fitzroy were Lions" 6 year old rat.) Maybe he was 4 and it was kinder.

Nephew worked it out, said "you lied to me" and even though the Lions were on top switched to the bottom side the Eagles. I used to take him to WC games in Melbourne, he loves them.

The Port people who were VFL Pies, then Crows then Power did nothing wrong. They followed the best available.

The man thing is to choose your club and stay loyal. If a better suited club eg Tassie or Darwin appears you can change. If your heart gets broken (Swans to Sydney or your parents beat you after your team lost) you can change. Once youre an adult I think you shouldn't change except for very strong reasons.

I don't like mealy mouth worms who switch to the current or likely premiers. They are emotional vampires and should be institutionalised.

Last edited:
No, but when people are young I think it can be forgiven. My brother started as an Essendon supporter but only really for James Hird and because our dad hated them.

He’s been a Collingwood supporter since the early 2000’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can the people that swap teams ever be trusted?

Like you make a sacred vow to support a club, then one day you just jump ship when a newer more exiting franchise comes out. Odd.

Like you make a sacred vow to support a club, then one day you just jump ship when a newer more exiting franchise comes out. Odd.
It’s like anything else in life.

You make a vow till death do us apart in marriage. But people can fall un-in-love. You can’t always stear your emotions. You might try to bottle it up and stay loyal but in the end it explodes and you find yourself unashamingly roaring support for a new team.

Humans are not dolphins or ducks, we like to spread our wings…

Imagine if you followed a Victorian side that has been around for 100 years and they have won nothing?

Been freo since 2002, Originally was a bombers fan but switched at 7 when we moved to Perth. what really cemented it for me was dealing with cocky eagles fans in highschool (a feeling most dockers fans can relate too)

I've noticed that there are a lot of older footy fans in WA that follow teams in vic purely because they wear the same colours as the WAFL team they support or their favourite player went east and played for them.

I switched WAFL teams at age 8 because I liked a certain player.

Not much is subject to a solemn vow at that age.

Wonder how many Hawks and North fans in Tassie will turncoat when the Tassie team starts up. Two of the most unstable, fairweather supporter bases as is.

Funny Story in my Family.

Three boys, all Hawk Supporters in the Late 70's in to the early 80's as pre -teens

In 1982, but middle brother went to a friends birthday party, and met Rene Kink (AKA Tank O'Donohue), who was a friends of the kids dad.

It swayed my brother, and he became a pie in that season.

Only to see the Hawks play in the next 7 Grannies in a row.

We are brutal with him these days (All in our 50's). He is still a Pie, but is not allowed to have an opinion of football in the family, as he is, and forever will be..

A Traitor

Wonder how many Hawks and North fans in Tassie will turncoat when the Tassie team starts up. Two of the most unstable, fairweather supporter bases as is.
Meh, I know you are trolling, but there is a metric shitton of support of of Tassie for the Hawks.

Hudson (and son), Rocket Eade, Darrin Pritchard, Birchall (plus many others). We have had a long association down there, including 20 odd years of Playing in launceston, doing community camps etc.
Tassie families are Loyal sorts. I doubt they will switch after generations, but more likely treat the Local team as a second.

It is the same with the Saints fans down there, and Baldock. They have a stack of support.

I find hard to believe anyone would actually switch teams in less your team became defunct like Fitzroy, of course when going through bad times & long premiership drought you might jokingly entertain but you would never switch, I think most fans would be like that.

I think Tassie might make some people switch especially if there from there & are very passionate about where they grew up.

Last edited:
Back