List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how the really class players jump out at you from the start.

I had that feeling watching Watson yesterday. You can just tell he has "it", whatever "it" may be.

I'd love to see Weddle tried as a half forward next week, there aren't many players with his combination of endurance and marking power.

In the few minutes that Weddle seemingly moved into the ruck he had two leads and marks in the F50. Have we ever seen Reeves do that in any game he's ever played? A mobile ruckman would be such a plus.

Hes wasted top 10 picks on DGB and Ward. Those are misses that can cost you a job. When you have bad years you can't afford to miss on top 10 picks.

Ward has plenty of time and has played some very good games already. Obviously he's struggling right now, but the entire side is playing like poo and more experienced players have played worse. I personally believe he will turn it around.

DGB on the other hand... Barring a miracle I'd say he's likely done. Injuries and fitness issues are unpredictable and have set him back so far, unfortunately.

In the few minutes that Weddle seemingly moved into the ruck he had two leads and marks in the F50. Have we ever seen Reeves do that in any game he's ever played? A mobile ruckman would be such a plus.
Seems like we are going to need Weddle playing at HB, in the ruck, on ball and forward simultaneously against Geelong.

I always find it strange how the list gets worse after a loss or two.

The talent is exactly the same, all that's varying is execution.

Hes wasted top 10 picks on DGB and Ward. Those are misses that can cost you a job. When you have bad years you can't afford to miss on top 10 picks.

Darcy Parish in his second year vs Josh Ward in his second year.

Darcy would go on to be dropped to the VFL in subsequent years until it finally clicked in 2021.

Ward is 20 and in the infancy of his career. Comments like these are ridiculous.

Edit: You'll need to change Parish to 2017 and Ward to 2023. For some reason I can't get the link to copy over correctly.

Darcy Parish in his second year vs Josh Ward in his second year.

Darcy would go on to be dropped to the VFL in subsequent years until it finally clicked in 2021.

Ward is 20 and in the infancy of his career. Comments like these are ridiculous.

Edit: You'll need to change Parish to 2017 and Ward to 2023. For some reason I can't get the link to copy over correctly.
There's no point it debating someone that believe a second year mid averaging 20 touches, 2.5 clearances and 4 score involvements is a failed pick.

We can only judge on what we’ve seen, Ward, DGB, Mackenzie don’t look like world beaters.

They may prove to be, but they’re already behind picks from their draft.

Nasiah Wanganeen, Archie Perkins, Phillipou.
Perkins was from the 2020 draft and shown nothing more than Ward despite being older.
NWM is an outside halfback flanker, way to compare apples and oranges.
Phillipou you mean the guy averaging 12 touches a game?

Wanna try again?

We can only judge on what we’ve seen, Ward, DGB, Mackenzie don’t look like world beaters.

Rubbish - they're sub 50 games, and its pretty established fact that for most players bar an extreme small percentage like Daicos, that first 50 games are all over the place.

Very hard for good young players to play well when the vets in your team are getting thumped.

Finally - development is never a linear path. Let's wait for more than two weeks of the exposed season to play out, before throwing all our youth in the bin. Still extremely early days to make a call on the 2021 draft.

Kinda laughable some of the takes here. Some of you expect youth to either be the second coming of Buddy or trash, there's no in between & expect them to play bonkers every game.

Moreover, consider the hands they've been played. Ward and Frenchie were both drafted after playing largely inside mids and have had to develop in the main team playing largely outside or defensive roles. Moreover, not sure why Phillipou is in the same list, different draft year and not on the same level as the other two.

Perkins was from the 2020 draft and shown nothing more than Ward despite being older.

Wanna try again?
We picked DGB over Perkins.
Ward over NWM.
Mackenzie over Phillipou.

That’s the comparison.

Wanna try again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were never taking Wangerneen Milera. He's also playing the one position on the ground that's the easiest to look elite in. Back flankers with elite kicking skills generally hit the ground running in their careers.

Phillipou doesn't have the output yet. He looks like a great talent, but I wouldn't say from an individual perspective that he's eclipsed what Mackenzie produced.

No argument from me on DGB vs Perkins. I wanted Perkins too.
However, I don't believe any recruiter should be judged harshly on their 2020 draft haul. Had there been a national carnival it's entirely likely Denver would have fallen out of the first round.
These kids were judged on their bottom age form. Need I remind everybody that Emerson Jeka was touted as a top 10 pick a year out from his draft as an example.

We were never taking Wangerneen Milera. He's also playing the one position on the ground that's the easiest to look elite in. Back flankers with elite kicking skills generally hit the ground running in their careers.

Phillipou doesn't have the output yet. He looks like a great talent, but I wouldn't say from an individual perspective that he's eclipsed what Mackenzie produced.

However, I don't believe any recruiter should be judged harshly on their 2020 draft haul. Had there been a national carnival it's entirely likely Denver would have fallen out of the first round.
These kids were judged on their bottom age form. Need I remind everybody that Emerson Jeka was touted as a top 10 pick a year out from his draft as an example.
DGB actually dominated the carnival in his bottom age.

7 of the top 11 picks from the 2020 draft are straight up fails. Perkins was in that list before the start of this year and Thilthorpe boarder line.

Phillips(3), Campbell(5), DBG(6), Hollands(7), Cox(8), Reid(11), Pedlar(11)

We picked DGB over Perkins.
Ward over NWM.
Mackenzie over Phillipou.

That’s the comparison.
You want to throw Ward and Mackenzie under the bus as failed picks after 1 and 2 years but happy to sit and praise Perkins. This is Perkins first 3 years in the system.

1711273671382.png

Attachments

• 1711273619040.png
    1711273619040.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 54
It’s too early to write anyone from 2020 onwards off. The players from the most recent years have not had a normal development pathway so will take longer.
Looking at our youth our forwardline is coming together. Lewis with Ramsden and Dear coming and Ginnivan Watson Moore looks good probably need a
Medium smart forward to replace Gunston.
Obviously now deep in midfield but need to inject speed. Also need to figure out the wing spots.
KPD absolute #1 priority.
Bailey Smith and Jed Busslinger from the dogs would be a great start.

We should have a number of elite players developing but we seem to have a few misses with our high draft picks now.. Ward is a trier but that’s about it, which is disappointing for such a high pick.. Denver has been a bust so far. McKenzie it could go either way.. He needs to back himself. Watson will make it.. I’m pretty sure on him.. That’s our elite picks right there..Nash and Maginess need to go back, and maybe stay at Box Hill for the foreseeable future. Give HH a crack, he looks a natural ball winner.. Lewis and Jai are a worry, they’re both very good players horribly out of form.. Reeves, sorry I don’t see it, I’d be tempted to make a move for Moyle from GC. I think the dinosaur ruck days are over..we miss Day terribly. Our best player and a guy that has poise and toughness. Chol has been good. I’d like to see him deeper and Lewis up the field more.. Amon, why has he moved?? keep him as the elite winger he showed himself to be last year.. Weddle hasn’t found his spot yet, don’t think it’s down back. I liked what I saw in the forward 50. He could be damaging..McDonald has talent and can be damaging but he looks uncompetitive at times… Thank F we still have our high pick this year.. It could be really high.. it’s such slow going with the rebuilds from rock bottom.
There is so much good stuff in here. I reckon you are bang on with so much of it. I’ll post in detail in the next few days when I have time.

My main beef this season is our two strengths last season were Sic in defence and Jai in the middle. And we have rolled both out in the exact same roles this season and they have both been clamped. It’s s**t coaching. Jai needs to go to half back and Sic maybe into the middle. Weddle should be in the middle. Amon on a wing. Nash and McKenizie in the 2s. We haven’t evolved the side at all other than the recruits.

Ward has plenty of time and has played some very good games already. Obviously he's struggling right now, but the entire side is playing like poo and more experienced players have played worse. I personally believe he will turn it around.

DGB on the other hand... Barring a miracle I'd say he's likely done. Injuries and fitness issues are unpredictable and have set him back so far, unfortunately.
But you know what J2S DGB is at least hard at it which is a quality we are lacking badly. I’d take him in the side busting his gut than quite a few others at the moment.

Ward is becoming a worry. His work rate allowed him to dominate In juniors by being fitter than everyone else, He was OK at every other aspect without being great. I thought he might be our version of Andrew Bradshaw, but he struggles with the contested side of the game

This is not the "I think we should have drafted Player X" thread. * off with that s**t.

Honestly, if you're writing kids off at Round 2 of a season give yourself an uppercut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back