Preview Hawks vs Lions – Rd 13 - Sat 10th June – 1:45pm – MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that gunston is a leading forward not getting the ball delivered the way that suits him.

And developmentally that'd be fine IF he he was a gun in front of goal. And he isn't ATM, and senior players should not need half a season to fire up.

Why would players honor his lead when he can't kick a goal??

Plus if he doesn't mark it his opponent will probably run off with the ball unpressured or setup the play in another way

gunston haters going to be real quiet tomorrow evening

Not a hater. Just don't see the upside to an older player underperforming (by his own stats sheet) in a team going for glory when we have talent languishing in the twos.

If he kicks a bag tomorrow awesome. Means we are a cert against the Hawks when we meet them in the granny.

I'd he going to play a second good quarter for the season?
They'd have lost their voice after cheering a 200 point Lions win, but Gunston got no goals just to knock me out of the goalkicking comp and allow everyone to continue gnashing their teeth on selection day.

Quite a difference there.
Quite a few of the team would net similar results I would imagine.
Good question.
I went through our list and have put players into 5 groups.
Only looked at basic stats and had to make some judgement calls for a few players to which list they fell into.
Also, it is only for this year with a minimum of 6 games to make the list. In A-Z order.

Very similar figures: Bailey, Berry, Cameron, Coleman, Dunkley, Gunston, McCarthy, McKenna, Payne, Rayner, Starcevich, Wilmot & Zorko

Play slightly better away: McInerney.
Play way better away: Rich.

Play better at Gabba: Andrews, Daniher, Hipwood & McCluggage
Play way better at Gabba: Ashcroft & Neale

Below Neale stats as he is the closest to Ashcroft.

1686290194449.png

1686290259354.png

Attachments

• 1686290408587.png
    1686290408587.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 31
Good question.
I went through our list and have put players into 5 groups.
Only looked at basic stats and had to make some judgement calls for a few players to which list they fell into.
Also, it is only for this year with a minimum of 6 games to make the list. In A-Z order.

Very similar figures: Bailey, Berry, Cameron, Coleman, Dunkley, Gunston, McCarthy, McKenna, Payne, Rayner, Starcevich, Wilmot & Zorko

Play slightly better away: McInerney.
Play way better away: Rich.

Play better at Gabba: Andrews, Daniher, Hipwood & McCluggage
Play way better at Gabba: Ashcroft & Neale

Below Neale stats as he is the closest to Ashcroft.

View attachment 1708057

View attachment 1708059
Well that is interesting because Neale was one I wasn’t expecting.

I think I've got in to Gunston enough. Just a bit annoyed what comes from Fages with the players who get prompted chiming in is nothing like what I see on the field. If I was in the backline I'd be shaking my fist.

Still he's there. Tomorrow's a good opportunity for him to do something . I don't see too many problems with the Hawks backline and plenty of space to lead in to. But I'd love to get a look at a couple of others in the same slot.

While there is more to a defensive game than tackling the continual selection of plodders like rich and Gardiner is a disgrace. I’d love to know wtf is going on in fagan an and selection panel heads when they come up with this best 22.

Rich, Gardiner and Gunston are ******* cooked. Anyone who actually knows anything about footy knows this. It’s a disgrace.

Good we are starting to bring in fresh blood though.
And its this sort of mentality by the coaching group that continue playing favourites with cooked players, hell add Berry into that list, another protected species that is just guaranteed games irrespective of how putrid he is playing, is why we arent top two and probably wont win the flag. All b/c we dont want to upset these players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Kiddy’s partner is heavily pregnant (as seen on Instagram), it makes more sense that maybe bringing him on an away game isn’t the best plan if she’s due to give birth in the next week or so.

It’s a nice theory, but he’s been named in the vfl team and they are playing box hill in Melbourne on sat. This is dropped dropped I think.

If Gunston was to put on a clinic tomorrow and it all clicked back into gear for him and he played to a standard that felt like it justified his selection each week I imagine that there would be few who would not be pleased (I am unsure if there is a beardancer equivalent anti-Gunston who would weeping in the outer darkness gnashing his teeth until Jack's next under-par game). The problem is that it seems that he is getting games based on his past credits (a bit like Rich atm) which kind of rankles because those credits went into someone else's bank!

If Gunston was to put on a clinic tomorrow and it all clicked back into gear for him and he played to a standard that felt like it justified his selection each week I imagine that there would be few who would not be pleased (I am unsure if there is a beardancer equivalent anti-Gunston who would weeping in the outer darkness gnashing his teeth until Jack's next under-par game). The problem is that it seems that he is getting games based on his past credits (a bit like Rich atm) which kind of rankles because those credits went into someone else's bank!
If Gunners could get back near his best form I'd be elated.

Hi Lions fans,
Are there any people on here in Melbourne that wish they could go tomorrow but can't afford it?

And its this sort of mentality by the coaching group that continue playing favourites with cooked players, hell add Berry into that list, another protected species that is just guaranteed games irrespective of how putrid he is playing, is why we arent top two and probably wont win the flag. All b/c we dont want to upset these players.
we just dropped a player who has been walk up best 22 since the 2021 finals series

we just dropped a player who has been walk up best 22 since the 2021 finals series

Some are either getting tunnel vision or shifting the goal posts when it comes to complaining about hard choices not being made. It’s either only satisfied if a certain mainstay player gets dropped or how it’s not a hard choice because such and such dropped player wasn’t actually doing that well anyway.

I hope we see Prior on the wing and Wilmot down back. Prior goes similarly in both positions but Wilmot is at home in the backline compared to the wing. I hope Dev does well too.

It’s no Bevo cull but it will be interesting to see whether Kiddy can earn back a spot in the team long term and whether there’s other players that are in danger in the coaches eyes. It’s clear that whatever metric we use to judge players compared to the coaches is vastly different.

Some are either getting tunnel vision or shifting the goal posts when it comes to complaining about hard choices not being made. It’s either only satisfied if a certain mainstay player gets dropped or how it’s not a hard choice because such and such dropped player wasn’t actually doing that well anyway.

I hope we see Prior on the wing and Wilmot down back. Prior goes similarly in both positions but Wilmot is at home in the backline compared to the wing. I hope Dev does well too.

It’s no Bevo cull but it will be interesting to see whether Kiddy can earn back a spot in the team long term and whether there’s other players that are in danger in the coaches eyes. It’s clear that whatever metric we use to judge players compared to the coaches is vastly different.
yep

calls for 'selection integrity' on this board for some has basically morphed into drop players i dislike and select my favourites

oddly enough what they accuse the match committee of doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back