Preview Hawks vs Lions – Rd 13 - Sat 10th June – 1:45pm – MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't melted . This is a restrained and measured response from 3KZ.

You've got to look at both sides of the argument. 3KZ makes some good points and it's not completely improbable that he's wrong.

Froggy isn't that much worse (or better) than Dizz or Richy on anything impartially analysed in Senior games this year.

I'm no great Froggy fan but tbh it's line ball if the other 2 can't bring their right form.

Yeah it’s barely what you would describe as a melt or unhinged and it’s a fair argument that Lester deserves the spot over Gardiner.

However, the posting stats as the primary argument for performance is always going to be a poor argument.

Dizzy can play on talls to smalls, Frog can play on mediums and smalls.

Rich is a rebounding half back. Frog is not.

You're right in that they'd want to be playing their role to hold their spots, but let's not pretend Lester offers the same as Rich and Dizzy. Love the guy but suggesting he does is supporter bias.
I agree but Froggy surprised me at how well he went when he played. He's still only 27.

I've never been a fan but I can see why he should stay on the list. If someone gets injured he's a capable second stringer.

I agree but Froggy surprised me at how well he went when he played. He's still only 27.

I've never been a fan but I can see why he should stay on the list. If someone gets injured he's a capable second stringer.

Froggy is not 27 friend. He wishes lol.

Yeah it’s barely what you would describe as a melt or unhinged and it’s a fair argument that Lester deserves the spot over Gardiner.

However, the posting stats as the primary argument for performance is always going to be a poor argument.

Step up from fantasy points. he's learning
And one day there will be the step up to comparing like for like and comparing the impact of a defender's opponent as part of the measure of their play!

It'll be bleedin' marvleous and a sight to behold it will!

Squiggle prefers the Hawks ins and outs over ours...

Hawthorn
Hawthorn 72 - 86 Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions

M.C.G. (VIC)
HGA:
Hawthorn
+7.1 pts
Ins/Outs:
Hawthorn
+5.7 pts

You've got to look at both sides of the argument. 3KZ makes some good points and it's not completely improbable that he's wrong.

Froggy isn't that much worse (or better) than Dizz or Richy on anything impartially analysed in Senior games this year.

I'm no great Froggy fan but tbh it's line ball if the other 2 can't bring their right form.
I would prefer to have Froggy in over Rich at the moment. Competes well, certainly isn’t any slower, generally makes good decisions and has a bigger body than Rich. Yes I’m aware they may play different role, my point is that Froggy matches Richy in the athletic department and won’t have a small to mid forward easily beat him, in comparison to Rich when the ball hits the deck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dizzy can play on talls to smalls, Frog can play on mediums and smalls.

Rich is a rebounding half back. Frog is not.

You're right in that they'd want to be playing their role to hold their spots, but let's not pretend Lester offers the same as Rich and Dizzy. Love the guy but suggesting he does is supporter bias.
I’m just not sure we can consider Rich a rebounding half back at this point and I certainly don’t think he is better than our younger rebounding HB options. Im not sure if at this point in their careers Rich offers any more rebounding than Froggy would, but Rich seems to come at the expense of our defence.

The Lions have had a potential 3rd tall defender issue right from round 1.
Consider ourselves lucky we have got to round 13 with only 3 losses.
We now have all our tall defender players available but there is still lots of footy to play in 2023.

Round 1 was a disaster for the whole team. But we did go small with just Andrews & Payne.
Round 2 (Mel) in came Joyce who played a solid game to partner Andrews & Payne.
Round 3 (Dogs) Joyce, Andrews & Payne
Round 4 (Pies) Joyce, Andrews & Payne
Round 5 (Nth) Joyce, Andrews & Payne
Round 6 (GWS) Joyce, Andrews & Payne

Round 7 (Dockers) Lester, Andrews & Payne.
Lester in for Joyce which i was happy about as he is a much smarter player than Joyce. Plus, we had no one else, so worth a try.

Round 8 (Blues) Lester, Andrews & Payne (Rich out)
Round 9 (Bombers) Lester, Andrews & Payne (Rich still out)
Round 10 (Suns) Lester, Andrews & Payne (Rich still out)
Round 11 (Crows) Lester, Andrews & Gardiner (Payne out, but Rich returns)

Next round 13 (Hawks) Andrews, Payne & Gardiner. This would have been our 3 tall defender combinations for round 1 if all were fit to play.

Gardiner is capable of being the 2nd tall if needed like last week even though we lost. However, we are better with him as a 3rd tall.
On the other hand, Lester can't take that 2nd tall spot, but is capable of playing the 3rd tall when needed.

Also, in my opinion Lester plays a different type of game to Gardiner.
Still more than 1/2 a season to go and i can see Lester and other fringe players getting more games. Could even be in a GF.

Can we give wake up calls to Rich and Gunston to actually contribute in our side then :$

In the club podcast the boys talked about gunston proving good leadership and players staying to understand how to play to him. Or some such.

Sounded like the company line and the boys being used for propaganda.

There's no question if he's fit and able to contest as he can Dizz is someone you want in your team.

We've given him 3 or 4 years haven't we ?? so I'd like to see him get back near his best.

On a podcast or interview, hodge was asked who was the player he'd choose from his career to have his back and he said dizzy. Rated his competitive, never give in, hate losing a contest attitude.

Gotta think that means something.

PS I am doing a lot of driving ATM so lots of podcasts

Gunston’s continued selection is a joke. The other issue is that Daniel Rich is absolutely cooked and Gardiner just won’t compete on the deck. Both Rich and Gardiner are witches hats. Rich has had TWO TACKLES for the year! Only TWO! He has no defensive game whatsoever, yet he is keeping younger and more capable players like Ah Chee out of the team.
imgres.jpg

Exactly. Lester has played very well, I have zero qualms with putting him back in if Gardiner doesn’t come on.

But he played well enough on the weekend and he has a much higher ceiling, so you have to give him a chance.

In the club podcast the boys talked about gunston proving good leadership and players staying to understand how to play to him. Or some such.

Sounded like the company line and the boys being used for propaganda.

Nah this I do believe. We’ve not really had a proper leading forward in a long while now, and regardless of how he’s performing Gunston is that in spades, and very good at it. Next time you’re at the game spend a bit watching him, he often leads into space but just isn’t targeted because I guess we’re not used to looking for that.

In all my defence for him at the end of the day if it’s not working it’s not working, and I’d still rather he come out for Lohmann at this point in time. But if it does come together he will be a net positive in the side.

There are a few protected species in in our team.

Lester has been outstanding since his return. Actually, I can't believe how good he has looked. Kiddy Coleman getting dropped, you've got to be ******* kidding me. Happy to see D.Rob and J.Prior get games, probably would've thought Gunston and J.Berry are 2 of our biggest non contributors this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back