Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future 4th material?
Yeah, wouldn't require much more surely.

He came up in conversation, as I asked him how Hugh felt about the trade-ins of Hogan & Lobb. Apparently he and McCarthy just looked at each other sheepishly at the time!

Sounds like Hugh may look to play defence a bit this year, to try and be an option at either end, so would fit Clarko's model of flexibility.

behind Taberner and McCarthy at this stage too I assume.
This gotta say a lot though, right?

Fair call if he's just turning 20yrs old, I guess - may be on the rise like a Mitch Lewis-type & be building into his body etc.

I definitely think that having a 2nd KPF developing at the same time as Lewis would be great; but then 2m Peter is only 22yrs old & may be an option.

Fair call if he's just turning 20yrs old, I guess - may be on the rise like a Mitch Lewis-type & be building into his body etc.

I definitely think that having a 2nd KPF developing at the same time as Lewis would be great; but then 2m Peter is only 22yrs old & may be an option.

I was going off the best 22 thread on Freo's board, as I assumed they would have some idea on where he sits in the pecking order. Personally not a McCarthy fan. Don't know enough about Taberner though to comment there. Needless to say, Hogan & Lobb certainly push him back somewhat.

In his draft year he developed very quickly down here from playing reserves to a senior key forward, to a U18 Div2 standout, and then had some great games for the Allies. Apparently needs to work on his tank a bit as he hadn't worked as hard as others on that through juniors. He is a bit freakish, takes the odd hanger. My mate also said "He is also the most likely kid to trip over a chair in open space, not sure how that works….."

It does seem like he needs to grow into his body still. He just turned 19 in October (26th), so yes that is understandable I guess.

Was just a name that I figured I would put out there, as a lot of people wouldn't think of him given he is kind of off the radar in WA.

Was just chatting to a mate of mine regarding Hugh Dixon at Freo. My mate's son played footy with Hugh down here, and now plays a bit of Fortnite with him to 'keep in contact'.

He is fair lump of a lad, took an absolute screamer for Peel last year. Given Freo traded in Lobb and Hogan this year, he has been relegated a long way down the pecking order, behind Taberner and McCarthy at this stage too I assume.

I don't know a lot about him to be fair. Pick 44 in 2017 draft. Supposedly a Hawks supporter as a kid too!! Could be a cheapish option to consider if he is looking for opportunity and a chance to get a bit closer to home.

I spent a lot of time watching Hugh in his draft year as he played for the allies squad.

He is no mug as a player. One of the more crafty talls I have seen. He plays far less like a key position player, and more like a medium sized player who is good below the knees but can 'get up there' (marking) when needed. He's not someone you bring in to replace roughead necessarily, but he could easily develop as a 3rd target come half forward. No doubt he could play down back with his kicking too.

He was never a top 10 prospect, let's be clear, but he had a lot of attributes that could be developed at afl level. That being said - going to freo when he did was probably the worst place for a tall to end up. Not only was mccarthy there, but ross had his taberner and kertsen projects going. Add hogan and lobb to the list and he will just get lost. A trade to another club would suit him, and i would be more than happy to throw a packet of chips to get him, which is all he will cost. I hope he keeps his head down and just plays hard at wafl level.

Peter, if gettable, would be the preferred option over Hugh and lewis. Im just not sure he's gettable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coniglio and Tomlinson this year.
Whitfield next year.

Make it happen.

Well at the moment you would have to think coniglio is a real possibility.

And logically a free agent signing makes the most sense regarding elite signings given the potential dearth of nga/fs kids we may have to bid on this year. Long way to go- but it’s conceivable we take 2-3 prospects which could eat up available picks.

Mitchell Lewis is likely to be the full forward for the next decade but it’s still not going to be enough to solve our lack of key position forward depth. I guess what I’m trying to say is who will be the future center half forward that will play alongside Lewis?

Roughead is almost nearing the end of his career, Schoenmakers is just a depth player at best and not the type of player you would build your forward-line around. Nash is quite tall but he’s more a flanker rather then someone who can hold down a key post.

Mitchell Lewis is likely to be the full forward for the next decade but it’s still not going to be enough to solve our lack of key position forward depth. I guess what I’m trying to say is who will be the future center half forward that will play alongside Lewis?

Roughead is almost nearing the end of his career, Schoenmakers is just a depth player at best and not the type of player you would build your forward-line around. Nash is quite tall but he’s more a flanker rather then someone who can hold down a key post.
So, who do you suggest?

*I agree, by the way. I reckon CHF is the hardest to find (partially because 'CHF' could mean anything these days...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back