News Hawthorn and Skechers sign on for 2023 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by Twitter am I one of the only ones who wants the side eye to win and not number 2 😂😂View attachment 1908658
Side Eye is a great design. Hope it wins. Wouldn't mind a version with less white though.

Lightning Hawk just looks like a rugby league jumper.

Menacing Hawk. Never liked that one. Worst of the three.

I wish they would just keep last years for a couple years and wear it now and then. I understand it’s all about money but they’ll roll through all the decent alternate guernseys we’ve ever worn pretty quickly at this rate.

Would be cool if clubs actually focused on making new nice designs rather than always focusing on the past too

I've been happy with the ISC partnership. We've had some great guernseys and training gear, stock availability has been far better than Adidas and quality exceeded my expectations.

If it gives us greater flexibility with our merchandise then that's the best deal for the club and supporters.

Such a shame. Would love to still be associated with a real brand like Puma
Interesting comparison. Looked up 2023 sales, Puma around $9B US, Skechers $8B. Not seeing a lot of daylight there. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand the angst. If Puma offered us more money, I'd say take it, but can't see any reason to bash Skechers...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comparison. Looked up 2023 sales, Puma around $9B US, Skechers $8B. Not seeing a lot of daylight there. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand the angst. If Puma offered us more money, I'd say take it, but can't see any reason to bash Skechers...
It's a smart move by Skechers. They want to break into the sporting market so get onto a team in a low period that they know will rise again.

It's a smart move by Skechers. They want to break into the sporting market so get onto a team in a low period that they know will rise again.

Throughout the histrionics about us signing with Skechers I kept saying they were obviously entering the sporting market to which I was scoffed at. This year they signed one of the biggest stars in the NBA, Joel Embiid, along with two other players. This acompanies their existing deal with perennial MLB all-star Clayton Kershaw, as well as a few new players they picked up. They also signed Harry Kane to a lifetime deal.

People whined why couldn’t we go with a brand like Under Armour - forgetting that 20 years ago nobody knew what Under Armour was. Skechers are a growing brand and clearly want to develop into the sporting market. I’d much rather be on the ground floor with them as opposed to being an afterthought like we were with Adidas.

I mean more so ISC but Sketchers plays a part too.. realistically Sketchers are just a sponsor in the same vein as iinet or Nissan but people definitely do comment about how embarrassing it is to be sponsored by a brand like that.

ISC do good gear I won’t deny that, and the stock levels are pretty good etc but at the end of the day the bigger clubs have the prestige of being sponsored by a Nike or Puma, and people automatically associate those brands with prestige.

You can name some random boring soccer player or a French basketballer all you like but the reality is nobody gives a shit about that stuff lol. Good on them for trying but their shoes are gross.

I think it says a lot about people that they'd rather be the one of the lowest priorities for a fashionable brand than one of the highest priorities for a less fashionable one.
I hope Skechers stays with us for years to come. At least they backed us when the chips are down and didn't jump ship like others.

I think it says a lot about people that they'd rather be the one of the lowest priorities for a fashionable brand than one of the highest priorities for a less fashionable one.
That’s true, I don’t think there’s any need for personal remarks. I’m just talking about what the general fan would see and immediately think then associate a club with rather than an educated member on a forum who considers things a little more
I hope Skechers stays with us for years to come. At least they backed us when the chips are down and didn't jump ship like others.
I wonder how long the deal is? Because the space they have on our guernsey doesn’t necessarily have to be an apparel manufacturer

You can name some random boring soccer player or a French basketballer all you like but the reality is nobody gives a s**t about that stuff lol. Good on them for trying but their shoes are gross.

Joel Embiid isn’t French. Both Kane and Embiid have global marketability our sport could only dream of - but sure, sneer at the fact a growing sporting brand wants to be part of our club.

‘But ThEiR ShOeS are UgLy’ - yeah, Nike make some absolutely god awful shoes in my opinion, doesn’t stop me living AF1s and Dunks and buying them.

And if you think athletes spruiking a product doesn’t change hearts and minds - have a look at Nike’s market position before and after they got on Michael Jordan from the start.

Joel Embiid isn’t French. Both Kane and Embiid have global marketability our sport could only dream of - but sure, sneer at the fact a growing sporting brand wants to be part of our club.

‘But ThEiR ShOeS are UgLy’ - yeah, Nike make some absolutely god awful shoes in my opinion, doesn’t stop me living AF1s and Dunks and buying them.
Joel Embiid alone makes like 3x the AFL club salary cap a season.

And if you think athletes spruiking a product doesn’t change hearts and minds - have a look at Nike’s market position before and after they got on Michael Jordan from the start.
Lol why did I think he was French? Anyway

I’m not really disagreeing with anything you’re saying mate, I’m just trying to emphasise the public opinion of the brand, it’s considered a joke to young people unfortunately at the moment whether you like it or not.

I do chuckle at the boys getting stuck into Dylan Moore for his Sketchers sponsorship on Instagram, it’s quite funny.

I wonder if another brand will come into the NBA culture. It’s essentially Nike then Adidas i suppose. New Balance and Puma do try though, like brands like Reebok and AND1 have before too

However ISC are our manufacturer anyway.

Such a shame. Would love to still be associated with a real brand like Puma
Does the “real brand” money have a special upside I’m missing that the “non-real brand” doesn’t?

Lol why did I think he was French? Anyway

I’m not really disagreeing with anything you’re saying mate, I’m just trying to emphasise the public opinion of the brand, it’s considered a joke to young people unfortunately at the moment whether you like it or not.

I do chuckle at the boys getting stuck into Dylan Moore for his Sketchers sponsorship on Instagram, it’s quite funny.

I wonder if another brand will come into the NBA culture. It’s essentially Nike then Adidas i suppose. New Balance and Puma do try though, like brands like Reebok and AND1 have before too

However ISC are our manufacturer anyway.

Maybe you were thinking of Wemby.

Wouldn't mind him in a Hawthorn jumper and some sketchers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back