Unsolved High Profile Prisoner Found Beaten to Death - Hakea WA *Ashley Bropho

Remove this Banner Ad

Two days ago the West ran this article below on Ashley Bropho, foster brother, some use the term stepbrother, to Cleo Smith's abductor Terence Kelly. Today, Bropho was found in his cell beaten to death.

New details of the horrific abduction and assault of a nine-year-old girl from a Doubleview Park labelled “every parent’s worst nightmare” have been revealed in court.

In a sentencing hearing for Ashley James Bropho in Perth District Court on Tuesday, details were read out about how the young girl was staying with her step-grandparents during the school holidays in July last year when she asked if she could walk their dog alone to the park.

Bropho, then 39, saw the girl near the park and approached her from behind saying, “hey kid, come here”.
Offering her a burger from Hungry Jacks, he took the child by the hand and “lured” her along the road, encouraging her back to his house.

State prosecutor Stacey Watts said the offence was “every parent’s worst nightmare” as she told the court disturbing details of the assault.
Once inside Bropho’s house, the girl told him she was leaving, but he instead lured her to his bedroom before assaulting and exposing himself to her.
Moments later, Bropho’s carer – who had seen him enter the house with the child – was banging on the front door, interrupting the assault. The girl was then able to leave with her dog, running back to her grandparents’ house to report the incident.

Last September, Bropho pleaded guilty to two counts of indecently dealing with a child under 13 and encouraging a child to engage in sexual acts.

He will be sentenced on March 17 while the judge reviews his medical information.

Bropho lives with schizophrenia and an intellectual disability.

Ashley Bropho was found unresponsive in his cell at Hakea Prison about 8am this morning. Paramedics and staff could not revive him.

The 40-year-old, described as having an intellectual disability and schizophrenia, pleaded guilty to two counts of indecently dealing with a child under 13 and encouraging a child to engage in sexual acts.

Last edited:
Sad all round

The state has a responsibility for those under their care, especially those with mental health, regardless of their horrible crimes (and what I may wish upon them in my times of weakness)

Last edited:

That's a shame. Can't say what I know of the family having dealt with them for some reason that will get me banned.

States was under Community Care/NDIS

The lawyer for a Perth prisoner, whose death while in custody is being investigated by police, says his client had schizophrenia and a significant intellectual disability and may not have had the support he needed. Police are investigating the events leading up to the death of Ashley James Bropho, who was a convicted child sex offender awaiting sentencing

Inside he would have had access to Mental Health Nurses and Psychiatrists and Doctors and Nurses

Prisoners get locked in something like 6pm-7am - if he was found in his cells - it's likely it happened overnight or, just as cells opened 0730 - sounds like his own cell mate/s could have given him a beating or, he's self-harmed during the night banging his head on his walls/cell door (?)

Last edited:
Call me closed minded, but I struggle to find any sympathy for child sex offenders no matter the situation.

You get what you f'ing deserve.

my heart agrees

but my head says this is just like being straight, gay or other. It is just the way they are wired. You wouldn't hate a person for being in a wheel chair.

It is criminal in our society, under our laws and expectations but it wasn't always that way. When they are under our care in custody, we as a state have a responsibility for them.

but I agree with how you feel, that's probably why I'm not suited to being there custodian

Yes whilst in Custody they have Human Rights and are entitled to leave their cells when unlocked

Jail is never fool proof
I pity Custodial Staff trying their best

They can refuse medical help
They can refuse to put clothes on
They can damage property/set fires to cells
They can threaten staff/inmates/themselves
They can refuse a private cell
They can refuse to be touched
They can refuse to work inside
They can refuse phone calls
They can refuse education courses
They can have punch ups all day
They can trash their cells
They can demand medical help
They can refuse exercise
They can refuse to shower
They can refuse to move
They can sleep and nap all day
They can refuse visitors
They can demand ciggies
They can refuse medication
They can demand medication
They can keep cigarette lighters
They can demand allied health eg physio
They can go on hunger strikes
They can refuse to speak .... etc etc etc

They can't be locked up 24hrs a day unless they are threatening self harm & are put into iso/crisis care

There are no such things as padded cells for all - to keep every single perp safe

Men need to shower in shower blocks

Watch "Australia Behind Bars" with the machinations.

Add culture to that mix of which family can't see another family. Or which bikie can't see another bikie. Or which drug lord rules which jail ! Or which driver in a stolen car killed anothers child.

Chriist knows how they manage to keep them all alive / separated / safe

Australia will soon be building Superjails the rate we are going !!

Let's face it - our laws are the softest in the world that's why we are the attraction for lawbreakers/cartels

We don't even have Grand Theft Auto we give suspended sentences and then half them - parole laws. We favour the crims not the victims.

Rant over

Last edited:
42yo Hakea inmate charged:

Inmate charged over Hakea Prison murder

Prisoner charged with murder of inmate who lured girl from Perth park

At the time of Bropho's death, WA Prison Officers' Union secretary Andy Smith said tensions had been rising at Hakea Prison for several months.

"In response, our officers have been forced to make adjustments to procedures in order to run the prison," the statement read.

On Thursday morning, WA police confirmed they had charged the 42-year-old sentenced prisoner over Bropho's death.

He is due to appear in the Armadale Magistrates Court via video link on Friday, March 31. WA Police did not release information about how Bropho died when homicide detectives advised a sentenced suspect had been charged today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Violent prisoner:
Name now revealed today 31 March 2023: Evan James MARTIN

From 15 January 2021: same bloke:

A second man has been charged with attempted murder over a violent stabbing at Acacia Prison.

Police say a 65-year-old inmate was stabbed multiple times on December 27 last year. The man was left with serious injuries and remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Raymond James Laurence Phillips, 40, an inmate at the jail has already pleaded guilty to attempted unlawful killing over the attack and will face Stirling Gardens Magistrate’s Court on January 27.

After further investigation, police have charged 40-year-old inmate Evan James Martin with attempted unlawful killing. He has been refused bail and will face Midland Magistrates Court today.

9 Nov 2022 — Evan James Martin, 42, and his close friend Raymond Phillips, 42, were housed together at Acacia Prison in the lead up to Christmas 2020

9 Nov 2022 — Evan James Martin, 42, and his close friend Raymond Phillips, 42, were housed together at Acacia Prison in the lead up to Christmas 2020

Evan James Martin is alleged to have attempted to murder one man and alleged to have killed Bropho all in the space of a few weeks? Do we know what he's doing time for?

It's horrific,

Evan James Martin is alleged to have attempted to murder one man and alleged to have killed Bropho all in the space of a few weeks? Do we know what he's doing time for?

'Man jailed for assaulting ex-girlfriend's parents'

'Thursday 8 Oct 2009 at 2:10pm'

'The Perth District Court has sentenced a 29-year-old Bunbury man to 18 months' jail for threatening and assaulting his former girlfriend's parents.

Raymond James Laurence Phillips threatened to kill the 55-year-old man and his 52-year-old wife while he was staying at their home in November, 2007.
Six months later, Phillips also threatened the couple with a knife and kicked the man in the head until he was unconscious.

Phillips could apply for parole as early as next week, after judge Felicity Davis backdated the sentence to January 18 this year when he was taken into custody.'

Has anybody seen this video?
I don't think it's true otherwise it would have been told in court?
Go to 7.22 to see what i'm talking about!

Edit: Link removed by the moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody seen this video?
I don't think it's true otherwise it would have been told in court?
Go to 7.22 to see what i'm talking about!

Edit: Link removed by the moderat
or.

It's true that Bropho is Kelly's stepbrother, also true that he was arrested and convicted on a crime completely unrelated to Kelly's charges, it's also true he was beaten to death in prison.

We have a thread for Bropho so I'll move your post over.

Last edited:
It's true that Bropho is Kelly's stepbrother, also true that he was arrested and convicted on a crime completely unrelated to Kelly's charges, it's also true he was beaten to death in prison.

We have a thread for Bropho so I'll move your post over.
Step brother? I thought he was raised in the same house by Bropho's grandma/auntie or something.

Step brother? I thought he was raised in the same house by Bropho's grandma/auntie or something.

They were mentioned in the press as stepbrothers somewhere but elsewhere their relationship is defined as 'foster brothers' which makes sense. Traditionally, calling someone as grandma, auntie, sister or brother is a respect and doesn't necessarily indicate they're biologically related.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back