Opinion high profile traded / recruited players with no impact

Remove this Banner Ad

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
was randomly thinking of high profile recruits ( of course this is subjective ) that have come to the club and for one reason or another ended up having minimal impact.

two that spring to mind to me are

D-Wells - hopefully i'm proven wrong however injury has stuck him down
B-Caracella - that horiffic neck injury ended his time at Collingwood
chad Morrison - just didn't cut it. i think he had bad knees ?

was randomly thinking of high profile recruits ( of course this is subjective ) that have come to the club and for one reason or another ended up having minimal impact.

Morrison was Finished and Carcella was thanks to Notting Breaking his Neck. Would I loved him in the 2007 PF

Graham Teasdale,
Butch Edwards
Ron Andrews
Brad Hardie
Shane Woewodin
Bernie Quinlan
Tony Lockett
Scott Cummings
Dermott Brereton
Barry Mitchell
Murray Wrenstead

We won like 8 games just because of Wells last year.

Dermott Brereton - although he did have plenty of impact on Sav etc.......so depends on whether we're talking direct impact as a player. You could argue that he was very influential in other ways during his short time with us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quinten Lynch was a pretty odd pick up. Did kick 9 goals in his 18 games. He was looking towards the end of his career so I can't really blame him but he didn't really add much.

He was Brought in as we thought we where close to a Flag when we where not

Dermott Brereton - although he did have plenty of impact on Sav etc.......so depends on whether we're talking direct impact as a player. You could argue that he was very influential in other ways during his short time with us
i think dermie was brought in purely for 1 year as a decoy. personally i think that we got good service from him

Could also argue Levi Greenwood. Recruited on a 4 year x 400k + salary only to have early injuries and get moved away from this recruited position - midfield.

Survives because of his training ethic and versatility to play other roles I.e tagger, defensive forward or lock down defender.

Quinten Lynch was a pretty odd pick up. Did kick 9 goals in his 18 games. He was looking towards the end of his career so I can't really blame him but he didn't really add much.

I actually thought the Q-stick was a handy recruit until he broke his leg in the VFL. Issue with his finger and the effect on his goal kicking aside.

i think dermie was brought in purely for 1 year as a decoy. personally i think that we got good service from him

He actually kicked 30 goals from 15 games which would be considered very strong performance these days lol but back then you're right - it was more about giving Sav some room and some guidance.

Relative to his reputation (which is what I took the OP to be meaning) you could argue he had relatively minor impact but ,as we have both noted ,he had a more indirect impact in other areas.

Could also argue Levi Greenwood. Recruited on a 4 year x 400k + salary only to have early injuries and get moved away from this recruited position - midfield.

Survives because of his training ethic and versatility to play other roles I.e tagger, defensive forward or lock down defender.
Thats no where near a big contract.. nor was he a big name recruit.

He was Brought in as we thought we where close to a Flag when we where not

No, he was bought in because we'd lost so much senior experience and he was a cheap gap filler while some of the kids developed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back