Strategy How can Bev salvage our season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Be
I like JJ on a wing - but Suckling can't play back IMO - not again. I'd play Suckling fwd and ditch Dickson. I'd consider Bailey Williams off half back. Actually prefer Williams to Biggs as well.
interesting to see what happens next year when Murph comes back. Williams should play when fit he is going to be an absolute gun, play him in defence then in the middle, he's a very good size too, just play him. That leaves 6 defenders plus Biggs, Suckling and JJ. I'd consider JJ on the ball and Suckling up forward. Then there's Roarke Smith and Lynch both of whom are impressing this year.

The other option we should think about is playing Bob and/or Easton or Adams up forward- we need some more class up there.

Be

interesting to see what happens next year when Murph comes back. Williams should play when fit he is going to be an absolute gun, play him in defence then in the middle, he's a very good size too, just play him. That leaves 6 defenders plus Biggs, Suckling and JJ. I'd consider JJ on the ball and Suckling up forward. Then there's Roarke Smith and Lynch both of whom are impressing this year.

The other option we should think about is playing Bob and/or Easton or Adams up forward- we need some more class up there.

I'd vote Bob to move forward more than the other two. He can just be a utility swingman and he would provide a good lead up option.

We've got 6 potentially good tall defenders and 1 20 yo key forward. And we are in the market for an AA key defender- am I missing something here.
Defenders, big bodied mids, small fwd/mid types

Yet we neglect key forwards and rucks

Defenders, big bodied mids, small fwd/mid types

Yet we neglect key forwards and rucks

Hurley could play fwd.

We don't have any AFL standard KPDs either unless you count Adams who is more a second or third tall IMO.

And we have two ok rucks who held all the best rucks earlier this yr.

KP wise, we are literally spineless at present. Hurley, an AA KP, is a good start and I can't see how we can be critical of the club for going after him.

I reckon in a weird way this will help us be a more attacking team.

I reckon this season we've been defensive (2nd or whatever in points against), because of the players who have been injured this year. Up to last week, despite our massive injuries, not a single player of our main 4 inside midfielder rotation (Macrae, Bont, Libba, Wallis) had missed a single game, and other players like Picken have also played every game.

Sort of counter-intuitively, inside midfielder is more defensive than it is attacking. If 50% of being an inside midfielder is preventing the opposition from winning the ball, that's defensive, and as a result winning the ball yourself, that's attacking. So there's a 50/50 split in attack and defence. If you win a clearance, you stop the opposition from winning the ball. That's defensive. That defensive success, can be credited to the midfield group. But in attack, you credit your inside players for getting you your clearance, but then they give the ball to outside players, and any success in ball movement as a result is then split between the outside and inside players.

So by not losing any of our inside midfielders at all this season, until Wallis now, we're just as good defensively out of stoppages as we would have been with no injuries, hence the #2 ranking in points against. However, these blokes are still winning the ball, but are giving it to "outside" players, who, are lower quality with players replacing them because of Muprh, Suckling, Dickson, JJ etc. all being injured for long periods of time. Therefore they are replaced by inside players playing more outside or lower quality players and our ball movement suffers as a result. Which is why our points for has dropped this year.

But now, with Wallis out and our 1st choice inside midfield grouping of our best 4 players, and the opportunity to bring in an "outside" player to replace him (Hrovat, Dale or someone like Stringer playing forward), we will improve our ball movement because Smith will slide into an inside midfield slot, and an outside player will replace Smith on the outside and be a better ball user. However, our inside midfielders will be of a lower quality, we're more likely to have a lower clearance differential, and this will help increase opposition score.

Tactically, Bev had just played the cards he's dealt - despite plentiful injuries, the fact that none of our injuries have impacted our 4 first choice inside midfielders have made us a more defensive team. With an opportunity to bring an outside player for Wallis we might become more attacking now.

Hurley could play fwd.

We don't have any AFL standard KPDs either unless you count Adams who is more a second or third tall IMO.

And we have two ok rucks who held all the best rucks earlier this yr.

KP wise, we are literally spineless at present. Hurley, an AA KP, is a good start and I can't see how we can be critical of the club for going after him.
We draft KPDs though, they are all kids currently because we have no KPPs on our list except Roughy who successfully went through and contributed to the rebuild so they are all inexperienced currently

No KPFs but, only Redpath, a rookie and he only played 3 games under Macca, then we trade for Boyd who is only a 3rd year player

Our KPPs are basically comparable to Brisbane's, all kids except 1 defensive stalwart (Morris/Merrett) with a few middle aged guys who aren't world beaters like Roughy, BTC, Redpath, Walker, Stef Martin etc

We need at least two more KPFs. I've been quite strong on this.

Murph should play more forward than back next year. Especially considering our backline has held up well and our entry into forward 50 is often disgusting.

We need at least two more KPFs. I've been quite strong on this.

Murph should play more forward than back next year. Especially considering our backline has held up well and our entry into forward 50 is often disgusting.
Hit up forwards would change our dynamic, not this every forward run into midfield to create numbers then push wide or push back into 50 crap

No one hits up across half forward except McLean, need a few more of these types, hopefully Hamling gets a shot at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't want to wait another year. This is a very open season. Who knows next year could be tougher.

I want a premiership in 2016 - now

Bev and the match committee need to do some heavy duty strategizing and come up with a range tricks game plans positional changes.

We know who the finalists will be. We need a clever plan for each. This flag will be won by the coaches it is such an even season.

Losing Wallis and Redpath hurts but it's not terminal. 8-10 weeks ago red was not even thought of as top 22. And if Dalh & McLean return to full fitness and form we won't miss Wallis.

Our mid field strength can match it with anyone. Our mid field depth when all are back is deeper than anyone. Our defense with Morris Adams wood Boyd is elite.

We are ok in the ruck but awful up forward.

Fix the forward line and we are serious contenders - now!
It's not all doom up their. Smith has added something new and will only improve. McLean is also hard as nails. Maybe Hamling can add something new too. And if Dickson and stringer can find form together with the forward improvement lately of bont and liber it's not too far fetched.

I think we are really missing Dalhaus. When he was injured I had him leading our B n F. Obviously since then the bont has grown and grown and has it virtually sowed up. Dalh at full flight is a huge shot in the arm. He wins and steals balls like no one else except Cyril.

Let's not give this flag up! Let's get serious about it. Injuries aside the loss to the saints can be a blessing forcing us to reassess and reload with a difference.

What a premiership it would be to overcome the challenges we have faced this year. There is no guarantee next year or the year after will be any easier or that we will be anymore ready. injuries can happen anytime. In football as in life there really is only now.

There is only this game now. There is only ever this chase, this tackle, this kick, this mark and this goal. That is the only lesson or response to these injuries - our bloody minded defiance.

Play each game like it's your last because it always could be.

Last edited:
I don't think this season is as open as some think. I think hawthorn are a monty to win it again. They're incredible.

And I can't see murph playing forward at all. Having to lead up, prop and turn on that old, reconstructed knee?? No chance imo.

I don't think this season is as open as some think. I think hawthorn are a monty to win it again. They're incredible

Their contested ball has been well, well down

They are still as clean with the ball as ever but they're giving their opposition every chance to kick a score against them

I'm pretty simplistic and no strategist but this what I want to see:

- Minson in for Jack and in for the rest of the year. I love Beveridge but I think he's been way too harsh on Will. Was unlucky to be dropped after the Swans game, and having him will allow us to put Roughie down back.

- If Morris is out this week, bring Hamling in for him.

- Tomaboyd permanent forward. No stints whatsoever in the ruck for him - Minson and Roughie to rotate.

- Honeychurch to come in for Mitch.

Getting Dahlhaus and Stringer back will also be godsends. Stringer especially was the player we were crying out for on Saturday night.

The team had its best win for the year against the Swans after we got thrashed against the Cats and had the news about Tomaboyd's suspension come out with everyone shitcanning us.

We've had the perfect storm over the last few days and we're facing huge odds, like the Swans game, against the Cats this week.

We are up against it, no doubt, but we can do it.

Does our season need to be salvaged ? I think not, but.
I would not be overly concerned with the Geelong game
maybe even roll out all the tall back up players and make
it into a percentage saving slog.
Round 19 vs Geelong at skilled- Loss (narrowly)
Round 20 vs North Melbourne at etihad- try
Round 21 vs Collingwood at etihad- try
Round 22 vs Essendon at etihad- must win
Round 23 vs Fremantle at domain- must win

So in closing it's not tanking just hitting the reset button
for a few weeks and ensuring a good finish to the year.
Note- Moving Lake forward as a shock tactic was not
Rodney Eade's idea, won us a couple of games that one.
;)

I got sick of hearing that Lake moving forward was a masterstroke - It literally only worked one time in the rain against Melbourne at the G.
He tried it several other times and it never worked again.

Our big problem recently has been our lack of marking targets up forward. If we can fix that up then we can still be a threat.

Neither Redpath or Boyd have yet shown that they can play as part time rucks and still be effective forwards. Let's face it they still haven't really proven themselves in the role of dedicated forwards either.

Without Stringer on Saturday night, St. Kilda knew if they focussed pressure around the ball and forced us to kick long into the forward line that they would likely have us covered and be able to intercept.

Getting Stringer back in is vital but it will be important to have Boyd working in tandem with him.
Bringing Will or Campbell back would help release Boyd to focus on his forward line role.

I don't mind the idea of bringing in Bailey Dale either, a bit of extra pace and goal sense wouldn't go astray.
Clay Smith's limitations were exposed on Saturday and he simply wasn't able to present as a forward target. Wallis's injury may open a midfield spot for him although I'm not convinced his fitness is quite up to it just yet.

Down back Hamling or Cordy could come in for Morris this week, possibly both.
Webb and Honeychurch are also waiting in the wings so we still have plenty of options and reasons to hope.

Our MC needs to recognise that our ability to run the ball through the middle becomes a lot more effective if it is not our only avenue to goal.

Last edited:
Good idea Proffessor

Dale could give us pace but his issue was he wasn't finding enough of the footy so Bev reverted back to a forwardline consisting of mainly big bodied mids like Jong, Stevens, Dunkley and Smith who all know how to win their own footy, but the only two who seem to know anything about playing forward is Smith and Dunkley.

Perhaps if Dale can find a way to get more involved at AFL level he could help us on the spread as he is a good user of the footy and I have confidence in his kicking inside 50. He has all the tools to be a good wingman/half forward though just needs to bulk up a bit more also I guess.

Good idea Proffessor

Dale could give us pace but his issue was he wasn't finding enough of the footy so Bev reverted back to a forwardline consisting of mainly big bodied mids like Jong, Stevens, Dunkley and Smith who all know how to win their own footy, but the only two who seem to know anything about playing forward is Smith and Dunkley.

Perhaps if Dale can find a way to get more involved at AFL level he could help us on the spread as he is a good user of the footy and I have confidence in his kicking inside 50. He has all the tools to be a good wingman/half forward though just needs to bulk up a bit more also I guess.

Hasn't progressed at all this year unfortunately , hope its just 2nd year blues ?

I got sick of hearing that Lake moving forward was a masterstroke - It literally only worked one time in the rain against Melbourne at the G.
He tried it several other times and it never worked again.
Brian Lake kicked 34 goals, 32 of which were with the Bulldogs those
are Tom Boyd numbers. Worked only one time pfft. The major thing
different to Tom Boyd was the fact that he was also getting 20
plus possessions at full back. Over 20 of those goals came in the
period the move was first suggested.o_O

Brian Lake kicked 34 goals, 32 of which were with the Bulldogs those
are Tom Boyd numbers. Worked only one time pfft. The major thing
different to Tom Boyd was the fact that he was also getting 20
plus possessions at full back. Over 20 of those goals came in the
period the move was first suggested.o_O
Apart from his first handful of games in 2003, he only really had stints forward between 2009-2011 that I can remember, except one game against Melbourne in 2005 where we had to play them off a 5 day break, I remember he went forward whenever Neitz was off that day

The major problem with that move was Eade always did it too late when teams like Collingwood were 5-6-7 goals up at 3QT time etc, it was pretty simple, take the game on, run down the corridor, see what Lake can do

Apart from his first handful of games in 2003, he only really had stints forward between 2009-2011 that I can remember, except one game against Melbourne in 2005 where we had to play them off a 5 day break, I remember he went forward whenever Neitz was off that day

The major problem with that move was Eade always did it too late when teams like Collingwood were 5-6-7 goals up at 3QT time etc, it was pretty simple, take the game on, run down the corridor, see what Lake can do
Eade did it late in games because it was designed as a shock tactic
to take advantage of fatigue late in games with KPF's which meant
they could be defended by smaller players. Lake was our best mark
the move was pure and simple and designed to use that strength,
yes there was a hint of desperation in the move.

Good idea Proffessor

Dale's more an opportunist type player, but half of our fwd problem is our aerial impotency. So many defenders take uncontested marks in our F50 (against Geelong was the worst). Stringer doesn't contest the high balls and is often off leading into pockets. Red is better at lead out marks, resting rucks often not getting to fall.
Maclean is a better fwd for us than Dale as he presents and contests much better. Dahl back in provides great contested pressure, too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back