How can we ensure our Future

Remove this Banner Ad

I would think if the situation is in deed as grave is it's been described, the shareholders who want out, and who are prepared to sell to the AFL, should make an attempt to sell to other North people who would like to come in at this point. No good just selling the club out without searching for alternatives.

You may remember that Hawthorn and Melbourne boards have voted to merge, and they were all passionate club people, yet did not see the way forward. New people came in reinvigorated the clubs.

I am not saying there is a North version of Joe Gutnick out there, but there may well be people who would want to come in.

Another option is for a member buyout. I am sure it's possible to consider forming some sort of a syndicate.

Agreed. I don't have a massive amount of $$$ but I could easily throw in a $1000 or more if it was that important. The point is that nobody has been told that things are so dire. Don't forget that we're not the only ones on the drip, until we are I would think that the AFL would be walking in to a lawsuit if it witheld funds from only one club selectively.

Agreed. I don't have a massive amount of $$$ but I could easily throw in a $1000 or more if it was that important. The point is that nobody has been told that things are so dire.

Thta is so true shintemaster. If things are so dire, why isn't an impassioned plea made to members and fans, that it's now or never, sign up, or lose your club. Hell, if I was given that ultimatum, I shudder to think how much I could increase my credit card limit to. It seems like internally, the inevitable may have been accepted, without giving the supporters one last chance. Not everybody is hardcore, and reads BF, or the newspaper for that matter. They may not have bought a membership for 5 years, but given the news that we are moving interstate if fortunes don't turnaround, will probably sign up.

I suspect stepup is an accountant who has had a look at the figures from the annual accounts and come to his own conclusions about what is happening with the club.

Nothing written has demonstrated any inside knowledge, and I think Roosviews has shown pretty convincingly that stepup has no knowledge of things an 'insider' would know.

People can have an opinion on relocation, but when you represent yourself as someone from within the club (or from previously within the club) which you did in your first post stepup - your views could have an effect on membership from traffic through this board.

I don't think any current or ex-North people would do that.

Except maybe Michael Easy. Are you Michael Easy?

...or Adrian Anderson, or a friend of Demetrio, or Demetrio himself.
Or worse still, Caroline Wilson...

...or Adrian Anderson, or a friend of Demetrio, or Demetrio himself.
Or worse still, Caroline Wilson...

Not even close to worst case scenario.

If it's anyone even remotely linked to the club, I would be ********ing furious.

I suspect stepup is an accountant who has had a look at the figures from the annual accounts and come to his own conclusions about what is happening with the club.

If he is actually from the club, then that's pretty much the conclusion I came to. But, like others, I still have some serious doubts as to whether Step Up is indeed a club "insider". He/she could be anyone.

People can have an opinion on relocation, but when you represent yourself as someone from within the club (or from previously within the club) which you did in your first post stepup - your views could have an effect on membership from traffic through this board.

Exactly, Zebra. That's the most disappointing aspect. This Step Up person, whatever their motives or agenda, should be cognisant of this fact. There's not a lot of character being shown here. Very, VERY poor form for a supposed "North" person.

Time to reveal yourself, SU.

I am not going into the specifics of step ups claims as Roosviews has responded to them very well and with some items in more detail than I could.

My concern is whether step up is a person with real insider knowledge (a senior employee or a close friend of one) or just someone with a different view representing himself as an insider. If it’s the former then
1. The Board power base won’t change, and the member candidates will be tokens (I hope Roosviews response is correct here),
2. A number of large shareholders are ready to sell to the AFL,
3. The AFL is prepared to buy us (to send us to the GC),
4. The Board, driven by the AFL, has virtually accepted the GC as a long-term solution. The board may see this as a “two town” solution but I would suggest the AFL would see this as a stepping stone to a full relocation, similar to Brisbane and Sydney, probably 10+ years ahead.

This can only be resolved by the NMFC making a statement as to its long-term objective i.e. is the 3 game p.a. GC initiative a short-term one aimed at gaining a cash injection to pay off our debt or is it a longer term strategy with more games p.a. possible. I doubt that the AFL will allow our club to do this and therein lies our problem.

I know this is totally left field, and probably silly ( ...but once again, thinking aloud ), is it worth having a supporters meeting with nominated speakers etc, outside the club at a time when the board meet ( not even sure where they have there meetings ), or any other time. I mean, as a way of showing the board our support of North Melbourne as North Melbourne and not as GC Fodder. It may even force some of the board to declare their thoughts on the boards thinking of our future.

Maybe even get some media people down there ( NOT CARO ) and try and possibly show the club/AFL etc the passion of the North Melbourne members and that we are not going to allow this "Relocation by Stealth" to occur.

I know this is totally left field, and probably silly ( ...but once again, thinking aloud ), is it worth having a supporters meeting with nominated speakers etc, outside the club at a time when the board meet ( not even sure where they have there meetings ), or any other time. I mean, as a way of showing the board our support of North Melbourne as North Melbourne and not as GC Fodder. It may even force some of the board to declare their thoughts on the boards thinking of our future.

Maybe even get some media people down there ( NOT CARO ) and try and possibly show the club/AFL etc the passion of the North Melbourne members and that we are not going to allow this "Relocation by Stealth" to occur.

I'd like the NMFC to state its position first. However I think we are fast approaching the need for a "Don Scott" to stand up for the NMFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even close to worst case scenario.

If it's anyone even remotely linked to the club, I would be ********ing furious.

Hoping I'm wrong, but the phrase 'step up' was one frequently used by Doc Aylett in his time at the helm of the club (Pre Duff).

Am also hoping 'step up' isn't a crypic clue to the true identity of this poster.

This can only be resolved by the NMFC making a statement as to its long-term objective i.e. is the 3 game p.a. GC initiative a short-term one aimed at gaining a cash injection to pay off our debt or is it a longer term strategy with more games p.a. possible. I doubt that the AFL will allow our club to do this and therein lies our problem.

I doubt the club want to do this anyway. I don't think they know what the long term strategy is. They can't.

We know the CBF or SFA or whatever the ******** it is called, is guaranteed for three more years. After that the AFL has said they will review it.

The AFL seem to be rushing into this Gold Coast thing a bit head on, but I doubt even they would encourage a big increase in games if crowd numbers were around the 8,000 mark in 2009 (which I reckon they will be).

Still, worse case scenario for us is that the numbers are high enough that there is a definite need for an increase in games in the GC. AFL says play more or we pull the CBF. Simple - if we are reliant on the CBF we move (or share games - same shiit).

So we have to be self sufficent by 2009, and memberships is huge in that, but I don't think the club can communicate as a dire 'save our skins' situation. It will present a negative image of the club, promote inevitability and even a spike in membership will only see short term gain.

Plus, i think all the moving about, the name changes - it has made a lot of our membership base a little bit apathetic. The passion in some has been dissolved.

Becoming self sufficent in 3 years would be extremely hard - and in reality we will have more like 5 years I think - but it has to be our aim.

Winning games is going to help the most. So get on it Dean.

The rise on the field and the clubs promotion of our young stars (Wells, Smith, Hansen, Moran, McIntosh, Hale) is second most important. Our low profile, backs against the wall shiit has to disappear. We have done well this summer. We need to do more. We have a young supporter base coming through - good numbers. People are obsessed with the young guys these days. They promote hope and are exciting. Regardless of their natural personalities - all the young guys have to step up in the media.

Then all the stuff everyone has listed in here sounds great. The club has to take this seriously. There needs to be energy.

I just hope that some at the club haven't got the 'sit back, what would you know' attitude you see in some businesses. They need to identify the skilled people out there willing to help, let them arrange and unify the appropriate business connections - then back it.

I think Aylett should not only see the letter written as a to do list for him and his staff (who I am sure are stretched), but as a list of possibilites and an awaking to the capabilities out there. People doing what they do everyday, what they do best - but for the footy club. Creating income streams for the footy club. implementing ideas for the footy club. And in the process, these people feeling a bigger part of the footy club.

Is the fight in those in charge, and more to the point and much more terrifying, is it in fact a goal to have to club return to it's previous state as a completely Melbourne based club?

Are we being led by people who don't wish to see this occur?

This has been my fear from the start.

I'd like the NMFC to state its position first. However I think we are fast approaching the need for a "Don Scott" to stand up for the NMFC.

Instead of blokes like Sam Kekovich and David King delcaring publicly that they support the GC move...

Lets just look at the Gold Coast for a second.

Carrara hosted 2 of the bottom 4 Crowds last year. One game with the lions.(hard drive that), (We were in 5 of the bottom 10)

In 92, Carrara held 7 of the bottom 10.

So our good friends on the coast have to still get a lot of bums on seats to support anything long term.

When they are getting 14,000 people a week, then there will be a case, by then someone will say Cairns is a better option, or Tas, or the Hunter area, or Ballarat. Then we will go there and someone else will play on the Gold Coast.

Until people turn up to the footy in Melbourne in Numbers we will be in the spotlight......How do we do that............play good footy........play the sh(t we played last year and we will be gone...........If you play good footy people will come.........(Dogs, Melb) If you draft good kids people will come.....(Dogs, Melb, Haw, Richmond). Play Sh(t and draft poorly (Nth, Carlton, Even Ess had a drop in people coming to the footy.

Roosviews quote "I agree. It would be good for the club to reaffirm its position when business resumes mid January. But they don't need to respond every time there is an unsubstantiated post on BF.

Has the NMFC Board stated that its aim is to stay Melbourne based with the GC, or other, as a secondary base i.e. 3 games p.a. or less?

Has the NMFC Board stated that its aim is to stay Melbourne based with the GC, or other, as a secondary base i.e. 3 games p.a. or less?

Hi John

Here is the e-mail that was sent to members when the club announced the Gold Coast games.

Dear Member,

As you are well aware, the Kangaroos have played a package of home matches in secondary markets for the best part of a decade. This has been part of the club’s long-term plan for growing our brand and increasing our national support base.

The recent competitive tension that has been evident in the marketplace of late for the Kangaroos’ three-home game package has allowed our Board to investigate the benefits of proposals that centre around continuing our relationship with the ACT or embarking on a similar venture on the Gold Coast.

Our decision on this matter was not made lightly. It was very difficult, and the issues very complex. We undertook an enormous amount of research and due diligence.

As such we are delighted to announce that the Kangaroos will play a maximum of 10 games over the next three seasons on the Gold Coast.

There are many factors including growth, population, corporate opportunities, stadium potential, football mindedness of the respective areas, code and fan development work being done and broadcast implications that we took into consideration when making a decision of this magnitude.

Throughout the decision making process the prime considerations of the Board have been the Kangaroos members, supporters, and the future growth and success of this football club.

We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank the tremendous contribution of the ACT Government, the AFL, AFL New South Wales, AFL Canberra, the local football community, all our corporate partners and most importantly our members.

We are sure our joint commitment over the past six years will provide a strong foundation for AFL football to continue to prosper in the ACT region.

This is an exciting time for our club. We have the Arden St Redevelopment, which will commence before the year is out, and from next season we will be playing our three-home game interstate package in the fastest growing market in Australia.

This decision is a key initiative to the Board’s plan to strengthen our position in the AFL and we look forward to future success with your continued support.

Regards,

Graham Duff AM
Kangaroos Chairman

Hi John

Here is the e-mail that was sent to members when the club announced the Gold Coast games.

Dear Member,

As you are well aware, the Kangaroos have played a package of home matches in secondary markets for the best part of a decade. This has been part of the club’s long-term plan for growing our brand and increasing our national support base.

The recent competitive tension that has been evident in the marketplace of late for the Kangaroos’ three-home game package has allowed our Board to investigate the benefits of proposals that centre around continuing our relationship with the ACT or embarking on a similar venture on the Gold Coast.

Our decision on this matter was not made lightly. It was very difficult, and the issues very complex. We undertook an enormous amount of research and due diligence.

As such we are delighted to announce that the Kangaroos will play a maximum of 10 games over the next three seasons on the Gold Coast.

There are many factors including growth, population, corporate opportunities, stadium potential, football mindedness of the respective areas, code and fan development work being done and broadcast implications that we took into consideration when making a decision of this magnitude.

Throughout the decision making process the prime considerations of the Board have been the Kangaroos members, supporters, and the future growth and success of this football club.

We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank the tremendous contribution of the ACT Government, the AFL, AFL New South Wales, AFL Canberra, the local football community, all our corporate partners and most importantly our members.

We are sure our joint commitment over the past six years will provide a strong foundation for AFL football to continue to prosper in the ACT region.

This is an exciting time for our club. We have the Arden St Redevelopment, which will commence before the year is out, and from next season we will be playing our three-home game interstate package in the fastest growing market in Australia.

This decision is a key initiative to the Board’s plan to strengthen our position in the AFL and we look forward to future success with your continued support.

Regards,

Graham Duff AM
Kangaroos Chairman

So what that does that load of waffle prove. SFA

Time maybe to put up some Cash, buy the shares and get serious about Plan B - of course the other option being that the AFL may start accumulating shares as was mentioned in recent press articles - don't underestimate Andrew D. and the Commission - I had heard that some existing shareholders (big parcels too) and probably those that you meet during your 5 years in the 90's may well sell to the AFL.

Step up, please let us know who the Shareholders are who are willing to sell.

Thank Joybell27

G Duff; As you are well aware, the Kangaroos have played a package of home matches in secondary markets for the best part of a decade. This has been part of the club’s long-term plan for growing our brand and increasing our national support base.

Over the last decade we have gone from 11th to 16th on the membership table.

G Duff; As such we are delighted to announce that the Kangaroos will play a maximum of 10 games over the next three seasons on the Gold Coast. There are many factors including growth, population, corporate opportunities, stadium potential, football mindedness of the respective areas, code and fan development work being done and broadcast implications that we took into consideration when making a decision of this magnitude.

I read this to mean that we see the GC as more than a three year proposition.

"Over the last decade we have gone from 11th to 16th on the membership table."

Yet we increase each year, its due to the swinging member, that we have dropped on the table.
That's why we have to do it, leave it up to the "swinging Members as a whole" we die!

"I read this to mean that we see the GC as more than a three year proposition."

Do you read that when we went to Sydney or the ACT?

I'm looking forward to your input Limerick, I hope you have more than questions for the board and the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back