How do you rate David Koch's tenure as Port president?

How do you rate David Koch's presidential tenure?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He is the best there is, and the best there ever will be. I hope Port can secure him permanently.

People forget that when Koch arrived at Port, they were in a worse spot than North find themselves today.
North may be struggling to win games, but they are debt free, member controlled and free from pokies.
Off the field, Koch maybe could be credited for some sponsorship deals Port got, perhaps, but Port were already set up in the long term for financial success with their planned Adelaide Oval move and The AFL taking over their license.
Port on the other hand were in serious danger of being liquidated due to their crippling 10m+ debt.
I remember the news reports from 2011 talking about Port having no money and how they had to be saved by being bailed out with $$.
The AFL were bankrolling Port for long term future returns, because they wanted 2 teams in SA, and Port had a really bad financial deal with The SANFL, and The AFL would take over Port's license. Port were never going to fold, that's a myth. The AFL will bankroll teams for decades with a financial loss, like GWS and Gold Coast.

Gotta be bait.
no its not.
They won the premiership less than 10 seasons earlier in 2004 and made a grand final only 5 seasons earlier. They haven't been relevant since 2007.
Again.... that is a lie. I would love Justin Longmuir to have a similar finals succes like Ken Hinkley. 5 finals wins in 12 seasons isnt bad. Hell if it was only 3 finals wins in 12 seasons, it wouldnt of been bad either.

That's just a Bizarroworld observation. Reality is - lack of success isn't good.
Ah the Bizzaroworld view. Reality is I would not complain If Justin Longmuir emulates Ken Hinkleys finals success of 2013-23. Again.... 5 finals wins in 12 seasons isnt bad.

Collingwood were also abysmal at 17th place in 2021, went on to win the premiership in 2023. If North Melbourne stick with Clarkson and do a proper rebuild, I'd tip North Melbourne to at least make a grand final before Port does again.
you talk about Collingwood finished 17th in 2021 and wins the flag in 2023.

Look at the demons from 2018-21.

2018: made finals for the 1st time since 2006. won 2 finals, lost a prelim.

2019: finished 17th as well. Crippled with injuries.

2020: narrowly missed out on finals. 9th or 10th placed finish.

2021: top spot won 3 finals to win the 2021 flag.

no its not.

Again.... that is a lie. I would love Justin Longmuir to have a similar finals succes like Ken Hinkley. 5 finals wins in 12 seasons isnt bad. Hell if it was only 3 finals wins in 12 seasons, it wouldnt of been bad either.
Yeah, Freo should give Longmuir a 12 season grace period, too.
Ah the Bizzaroworld view. Reality is I would not complain If Justin Longmuir emulates Ken Hinkleys finals success of 2013-23. Again.... 5 finals wins in 12 seasons isnt bad.
In the previous 12 finals series, Fremantle has also had 5 finals wins, so why are you envious when Freo have the exact same finals record? In fact, from 2008 to 2023, Freo has won more finals than Port, and even made a grand final.

Yep, a lot of teams who bottomed out since 2007 like West Cost, Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood went on to win premierships, unlike Port. Nothing to be ashamed to bottom out, it's the lack of a grand final that is humiliating, when you're going to break the record this weekend, ie Koch's beloved Hinkley's big 258 game no grand final as coach record.

Yeah, Freo should give Longmuir a 12 season grace period, too.

In the previous 12 finals series, Fremantle has also had 5 finals wins, so why are you envious when Freo have the exact same finals record? In fact, from 2008 to 2023, Freo has won more finals than Port, and even made a grand final.
Justin Longmuir might survive 10 or even 12 seasons as Dockers coach if he gives freo back to back finals or sustained finals runs of 2 or 3 or 4 years in a row multiple times.

So example... make finals in 2024-5, miss out in 2026 then make finals again in 2027-28. Not like the chris Connolly era of 2002-7 when freo only made finals in 2003 and 2006.

Glad you acknowlegded freos last 12 seasons from 2012-23. 4 finals winsunder ross lyon from 2012-15, a 6 year rebuild from 2016-21 then a finals win under Justin Longmuir in 2022.

you stretched it back to 2008 where you included that 2010 elim final win under Mark Harvey as coach.

I envy Ken Hinkleys 2012-23 finals era as Port made back to back finals in 2013-4, then finals in 2017 then back to back finals in 2020-21. and finals in 2023.

Xtreme , do you find this line Familiar? name the WWE superstar that said this!

Bret 'the hitman' Hart!

I can't like your post enough mate. Port fans are fickle and spoilt.

Port were a mess in 2010-12. Yeah port haven't won a flag under Ken Hinkley coaching era.

5 finals wins in 12 years isn't bad.

I mean , Port Adelaide could easily of been as bad as North Melbourne right now

Port would be 18th on the ladder without him and Kochie steering the ship.

no its not.

It's a lie that Port won a flag in 2004 and made the GF in 2007? What games were I watching then?

That is wrong .

Port Adelaide in 2011-2 were in dire Straits.

In 2012, port Adelaide averaged less than 20,000 people at home games. Port fans blame this, blame that.

They blamed the SANFL saying that the SANFL got 75-80 percent of the ticket sales money. That is wrong.

Port Adelaide struggled because your band wagon fans didn't rock up.

They rocked up in 2014 at Adelaide oval.

David Koch, Ken Hinkley and Keith Thomas saved your club

This post is full of holes.

I dont think anyone gave a percentage for what the sanfl took, but figures showed Port and Aselaide had by far the worst stadium deals in the afl. By a mile. Not just Port, but Adelaide as well.

Yes, a lot of people rocked up to the shiny new stadium in 2014.

Koch had nothing to do with any of that. Stadium deals were improved before he came along. The move to Adelaide Oval was finalised before he came along. The one club merger was finalised before he came along. He had no part in any of the major things that improved Port.

He found decent sponsors, ill give kudos for that. Everything else was done before he became president.

Hinkley took over a list choc full of ready to go talent with more first rounders than any other established afl club.

How is 5 wins in 12 years good for a club that hasn't bottomed out in that time?

THe only clubs below us in finals wins in that time have mostly been terrible in that time, plus Freo who still made a GF in that time frame.

GC - never made finals, 2 wooden spoons
Ess - Havent won a final in decades, wooden spoon
StK - Wooden Spoon and 3 bottom 4 finishes
Car - 2 wooden spoons, 4 bottom 4 finishes
NM - 2 wooden spoons, 4 bottom 4 finishes
Fre - 1 bottom 4 finish, still made a GF in that time frame

You look at the other teams that havent bottomed out in that time:
Gee - 10 wins, multiple GF, Flag
Rich - 10 wins, 3 flags
Syd - 8 wins, multiple GF
WB - 7 wins, multiple GF, flag

5 wins, no GF, is not "good" in that time frame, for a team that hasn't had any issue in attracting players, with a squad many considered Flag worthy throughout that time and what should be a clear home ground advantage.

I don't think anyone gave a percentage for what the sanfl took, but figures showed Port and Adelaide had by far the worst stadium deals in the afl. By a mile. Not just Port, but Adelaide as well.

Koch had nothing to do with any of that. Stadium deals were improved before he came along. The move to Adelaide Oval was finalised before he came along. The one club merger was finalised before he came along. He had no part in any of the major things that improved Port.

He found decent sponsors, ill give kudos for that. Everything else was done before he became president.

Hinkley took over a list chock full of ready to go talent with more first rounders than any other established afl club.
I may be wrong, but it always seems Port have different sponsors all the time.
Wasn't Renault the car sponsor. Is it now MG? I don't know much about cars, but I presume they are different companies. Does Oak still have anything to do with Port?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be wrong, but it always seems Port have different sponsors all the time.
Wasn't Renault the car sponsor. Is it now MG? I don't know much about cars, but I presume they are different companies. Does Oak still have anything to do with Port?
Oak ended their sponsorship in 2019, did 3 seasons, Renault sponsored Port for 5 seasons, MG for 5 seasons, too, and KFC for the past few seasons. Before Koch, Port were getting unknown companies like "Soaring Securities" to sponsor them, which I heard Port players retrospectively having a laugh at on a podcast where they mention the Bigfooty thread about it.

How is 5 wins in 12 years good for a club that hasn't bottomed out in that time?

THe only clubs below us in finals wins in that time have mostly been terrible in that time, plus Freo who still made a GF in that time frame.

Rich - 10 wins, 3 flags

5 wins, no GF, is not "good" in that time frame, for a team that hasn't had any issue in attracting players, with a squad many considered Flag worthy throughout that time and what should be a clear home ground advantage.
From 2008 to 2023, only Essendon, North Melbourne and Carlton (just barely with 4 finals wins) and Gold Coast have performed worse than Port. All other clubs have won more finals and made grand finals. Also, Port won 5 finals in 3 seasons from 2003-2005, compared to 5 wins in 16 seasons, 2008-2023. Port are definitely in that irrelevant failure range for the past 16 seasons, majority of that is under Koch's tenure.

Coming from where port were at financially and after having the world's worst coach in primus (seriously the guy dropped players if they had more than a certain % of turnovers from their possessions. If you think that led to players being afraid of making mistakes and kicking backwards for stat padding for fear of losing their position in the team you'd be right 😜), I don't think you can judge it as anything but a success.. Don't get me wrong, it's time he and Hinkley were sacked. It was probably time before last season. The only thing saving him and Hinkley was the run port went on which decimated the side by finals and saw them doing as everyone expected. Going out in straight sets. But I couldn't agree with a port supporter saying the club is in a worse position now than when primus was there and they had the tarps out. That's just not true.

Justin Longmuir might survive 10 or even 12 seasons as Dockers coach if he gives freo back to back finals or sustained finals runs of 2 or 3 or 4 years in a row multiple times.
Hinkley never did that, he only did 2 in a row twice 6 seasons a part. Why should Longmuir be at a higher standard?
So example... make finals in 2024-5, miss out in 2026 then make finals again in 2027-28. Not like the chris Connolly era of 2002-7 when freo only made finals in 2003 and 2006.
Hinkley never did that, he made finals in 2013-2014, 2017, 2020-2021, 2023. Hinkley went 1/5 from 2015-2019, he never achieved 4/5 like you're asking for Longmuir.
Glad you acknowlegded freos last 12 seasons from 2012-23. 4 finals winsunder ross lyon from 2012-15, a 6 year rebuild from 2016-21 then a finals win under Justin Longmuir in 2022.
Yeah, and Port still have an inferior record during that period, when Freo bottomed out and didn't make finals for 7 seasons.
you stretched it back to 2008 where you included that 2010 elim final win under Mark Harvey as coach.
Yep, from 2010 to 2023, Freo have a superior finals record than Port. You envy Port for being inferior to Freo?
I envy Ken Hinkleys 2012-23 finals era as Port made back to back finals in 2013-4, then finals in 2017 then back to back finals in 2020-21. and finals in 2023.
Good b8 m8

Last edited:
Coming from where port were at financially and after having the world's worst coach in primus (seriously the guy dropped players if they had more than a certain % of turnovers from their possessions. If you think that led to players being afraid of making mistakes and kicking backwards for stat padding for fear of losing their position in the team you'd be right 😜), I don't think you can judge it as anything but a success.. Don't get me wrong, it's time he and Hinkley were sacked. It was probably time before last season. The only thing saving him and Hinkley was the run port went on which decimated the side by finals and saw them doing as everyone expected. Going out in straight sets. But I couldn't agree with a port supporter saying the club is in a worse position now than when primus was there and they had the tarps out. That's just not true.
I thought what they did was great, 10 years ago, but Hinkley should have been sacked in 2018 or definitely in 2019. I think it's more a frustrating position, because if Port had a better coaching staff, they would be able to seriously contend for the premiership, whereas they're deadset on being failures. I think that goes back to Koch, who was never a footballer, so they make bad onfield decisions.

I dont think anyone gave a percentage for what the sanfl took, but figures showed Port and Aselaide had by far the worst stadium deals in the afl. By a mile. Not just Port, but Adelaide as well.

Hinkley took over a list choc full of ready to go talent with more first rounders than any other established afl club.
You talk about SA clubs with bad stadium deals. What was the deal? How much rent were the South Aussie clubs paying per season?

What was the ticket prices back then?

Rich - 10 wins, 3 flags

So you would trade your 2014 semi final win for a prelim final win vs the tigers in 2020 or dogs in 2021?

You talk about SA clubs with bad stadium deals. What was the deal? How much rent were the South Aussie clubs paying per season?

What was the ticket prices back then?

There were raw figures that came out 15 years or so ago that showed the revenue that each club took from game days. Port and Adelaide were last by a mile, Adelaide made a very small amount, Port made none. They also received next to no catering revenue and were the only clubs that had that arrangement. Port and Adelaides “breakeven” point was approx twice as high as every other club in the league.

Haysman was not a good CEO, but one of the only good things he did was call out the SANFL on the SA clubs stadium deal and got it rearranged so it was more viable for each club

A quick google search from 2010 shows that Adelaide and Port were 15th and 16th in stadium yield across the afl, with Port over $4m and Adelaide $2.4m behind the AFL average

Last edited:
So you would trade your 2014 semi final win for a prelim final win vs the tigers in 2020 or dogs in 2021?

Is that a trick question? A win in a semi over a win in a prelim and a chance to win a GF?

Oak ended their sponsorship in 2019, did 3 seasons, Renault sponsored Port for 5 seasons, MG for 5 seasons, too, and KFC for the past few seasons. Before Koch, Port were getting unknown companies like "Soaring Securities" to sponsor them, which I heard Port players retrospectively having a laugh at on a podcast where they mention the Bigfooty thread about it.
They're sponsored by KFC too? So that is Port, Collingwood and the Hawks all with the same sponsor.

The Primus/Tarp era was probably the lowest they had been. There were talks over folding or going into administration at the time.

He oversaw the Merger with the SANFL side, the move to AO, and returned them to respectability.
He was there when it all happened, but the legwork had been done by the previous administration.

There were raw figures that came out 15 years or so ago that showed the revenue that each club took from game days. Port and Adelaide were last by a mile, Adelaide made a very small amount, Port made none. They also received next to no catering revenue and were the only clubs that had that arrangement. Port and Adelaides “breakeven” point was approx twice as high as every other club in the league.

Haysman was not a good CEO, but one of the only good things he did was call out the SANFL on the SA clubs stadium deal and got it rearranged so it was more viable for each club

A quick google search from 2010 shows that Adelaide and Port were 15th and 16th in stadium yield across the afl, with Port over $4m and Adelaide $2.4m behind the AFL average
well thats good to hear. Port were paying 2.2 million a year in rent at Footy park.

WA had a bad end of a deal. Subiaco oval in 2011 had wooden seats. lol

Dockers and eagles paid 3.1 million a year in rent. And yes I remember the price of the ticket I went to a Dockers game in 2011 vs the suns... the price was $55.80 cents. So 30,000 times that by $50 is 1.5 million dollars a game.

Port fans didnt go to games when Port are garbage. 2012 proves that. Port Struggled to Average 20,000 people a game at $30-$35 a ticket. $30 times 20,000 is $600,000 a game. its not sustatinable when the Salary cap at the time was $8.2 million or the minimum cap wa $7.5 million.

Back