How does our list compare to Richmond's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite player (Martin), not players. Pendles, Treloar, Adams, Grundy and Howe are much better collectively than their next best five, in my opinion.

Despite this, Richmond obviously have the better list, by a long way at the moment. They won the flag and easily won all of their finals, while we finished 13th. They had the equal top number of H&A wins with 15, which is 6 more than we had.

It's not really up for debate who has the better list.
I think it is definitely up for debate, as it’s possible we could finish above them this year.

Assume Pelchen has the list ranking about right and our list is 10th in ability.
In simple terms that means to make the 8, we need above average coaching, game plan, leadership, culture etc and below average injury rate.

Or Pelchen is wrong in his guesswork.

Hafey - coached for 5 full seasons - GFs in 4 seasons, PF in other season. Sacked 1/2 way through 6th season. Interesting comparison to now.

This is an excellent point. Today, Hafey would get a 10 year extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, reality is they finished 1st and we finished 12th, so their list is in a much better position. Their small forwards currently sh*t on ours, their defensive unit is settled and they possess a superstar in Rance, we can't even settle our back 6 yet.
Midfields are fairly evenly matched with both sides possessing A graders, but they edge us out again currently.

Honestly, reality is they finished 1st and we finished 12th, so their list is in a much better position. Their small forwards currently sh*t on ours, their defensive unit is settled and they possess a superstar in Rance, we can't even settle our back 6 yet.
Midfields are fairly evenly matched with both sides possessing A graders, but they edge us out again currently.
I think we have better midfield depth and have more midfield stars, but they have the best midfielder overall who elevates that group. It's hard to fornto pick a winner out of our two misfields but their forward and backline are better.

I hate Richmond more than the next person and wish nothing but failure to them this year but how can you compare a 12th position side to a team who won the flag?

Because the year before they finished in a similar position to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back