How far are Essendon away from a flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chimera

All Australian
Dec 10, 2011
Vienna
AFL Club
Fremantle
How long are the dons and Jimmy away from a flag?

List wise are they shaping up ok?

Is there enough depth?

What needs to improve to take the leap?

A long way. 3 years at best. Very inexperienced. A mediocre senior core Watson and Hocking aside. Until Hurley, Heppell et all push 70+ games we will continue to be inconsistent. On our day we can beat anyone as last year and previous have shown. Midfield a worry still, as is defence.

Hurley, Carlisle, Pears, Hooker, Ryder, Bellchambers, Crameri, Joe Daniher are good structural building blocks. Zaharakis, Melksham, Heppell will be very good. Dempsey returning is a huge plus. Lot of other questions.

6-12 this year. Disposal and defence big concerns.

I just feel as if they are 5 genuine A grade footballers away from a flag.
You look at teams in Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorne and Westcoast for example they have anywhere between 4 and 7 a grade players.
The only A grade player on Essendons list in my opinion is Watson and that might be abit questionable.

In saying so there young players are developing fast and can see 3 of them becoming A-Grade in the next 2 years.

You look at teams in Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorne and Westcoast for example they have anywhere between 4 and 7 a grade players.
The only A grade player on Essendons list in my opinion is Watson and that might be abit questionable.

In saying so there young players are developing fast and can see 3 of them becoming A-Grade in the next 2 years.

Correct.

Hurley, Heppell, A grade. Carlisle will be the one to surprise.

Melksham, Zaharkis will be close.

Fair way off it.

I see Hurley as the only A-Grader.

Not sure he'll have the supply to do his talent justice.

I see Hurley as the only A-Grader.

Not sure he'll have the supply to do his talent justice.

Bit like Pav, never reached above being a good ordinary player do to the terrible sides he played in?

As to the OP, 3-5 years. Closer than Freo who will always lack MCG experience.

I don't think they'll get one with this group, so 10+ years. Not a dig at the bombers, most teams won't win a flag in that time, they're not easy and I don't see their kids being good enough to win one before they get usurped by GC/GWS' kids.

As has been said already not enough A graders yet to be top 4 material. They might make up the numbers in September or they might just miss out on finals and I think they'll tow that line for a years a bit like North and Sydney do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides Watson they don't have another A grader so you'd think the next two years will be an impossibility. In saying that they do have a lot of promising players in the 20-50 game bracket who could hit that status soon.

I do also think they were riding the 'James Hird return' wave a little bit last year and that will now have worn off. I think they'll struggle to make the 8 this year.

Bit like Pav, never reached above being a good ordinary player do to the terrible sides he played in?

As to the OP, 3-5 years. Closer than Freo who will always lack MCG experience.

Pavlich is a 6 time All Australian across the field.

Why can't the Dons bring forward their challenge West Coast looked a decade off at the end of 2010?

Probably 3 or 4 years away from a flag IMO. We have relied on Jobe Watson and one or two others for far too long. However, Zaharakis, Melksham and Colyer will be outstanding players for us in the midfield and once Elliot Kavanagh and Jackson Merrett are added to that mix then Essendon will once again be challenging for a top four spot.

Why can't the Dons bring forward their challenge West Coast looked a decade off at the end of 2010?

WC have a handy little cadre of premiership players handy. We've got one, and he's 83 years old.

Realistically speaking, I don't think 3 years is an outlandish and wild prediction (and that's challenging, not a guarantee of actually winning one). There are components and aspects present that would make for a top 4 side, but depth is a worry, and we're a long way off a solid premiership defence. I'm more concerned about that than the midfield, to be honest.

WC have a handy little cadre of premiership players handy. We've got one, and he's 83 years old.

Realistically speaking, I don't think 3 years is an outlandish and wild prediction (and that's challenging, not a guarantee of actually winning one). There are components and aspects present that would make for a top 4 side, but depth is a worry, and we're a long way off a solid premiership defence. I'm more concerned about that than the midfield, to be honest.

True enough but remember this is a side that went from dead last to the top 4.

It was a complete overhaul of playing style and structures.

Having Kerr, Glass and Cox back and firing certainly helped.

The emergence of Luke Shuey a genuine A-grade prospect and the implementation of the press was probably the biggest factor.

I think they may pay the price for being a middle of the road side, especially hvaing been a middling side during the compromised drafts. If Hurley leaves for GWS which looks possible it's really going to hurst the dons. They have some good players, Hocking Zaka Heppel and no doubt another couple will jump up, I'm just not sure how long it'll take to round out their list to the point that they're genuine quality with even thin depth. At this stage I'd be very suprised if they won a flag within 6 years. It sounds long time but i think while Essendon are ahead of couple of sides at this very moment i can see a few overtaking them in the next few years ( Gold Coast, GWS, Adelaide)

We are probably still number one for the gap between our best and worst. Literally can play like a ladder leader and back it up like a spooner.

2014-2015 at best.

The midfield is still at least 2-3 years away from even getting close to the required level.

The key position posts look good with Carlisle looking the goods and hopefully Daniher also delivering, in addition to Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Ryder etc. Midfield and small defenders are the biggest problem areas.

The midfield is still at least 2-3 years away from even getting close to the required level.

The key position posts look good with Carlisle looking the goods and hopefully Daniher also delivering, in addition to Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Ryder etc. Midfield and small defenders are the biggest problem areas.

Why do you think the midfield has been neglected?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back