Opinion How far away are we?

Remove this Banner Ad

think he's def one of them. as someone else pointed out, its also a very good predictor of finals results, much better than ladder position. which I think came from champion data
Good indicator for Hawks last year

Top 4 talent. Great forward line and defense. Midfield a little lean.

I think it's all about what Pyke can do.

Felt like we were getting close at times last season however our good football was unproven in September and we got embarrassed when it counted once more. Certainly shakes the faith.

The players must carry some scars from the Hawthorn and Sydney finals you'd think. Tough to overcome and believe you have what it takes after such humiliations.

With our off season it has felt like we're hoping the competition stands still so that we can creep past them with incremental, internal improvements.

Haha ok. Fantastic analysis.
Lol, like percentage takes into account easy beats like Essendon & Brisbane last year... When top teams usually gained 5% playing them... so if you played them an extra time like Geelong, then you are an easy 4 points & percentage boost better off.

Defence and forwardline are pretty good. However our midfield is seriously letting us down. We've got Sloane and the Crouch brothers and that's pretty much it. We need to start looking for a top midfielder, perhaps Rockliff as a FA?

Our team is at it's level ATM purely off the forward line, betts 31 next year, Walker not sure if he will get slower as he gets older I hope not, JJ and Lynch in a purple patch they aren't superstars but with Walker and Betts down there it certainly let's them take the lesser defenders and Douglass is extremely underrated as he is a consistent ball getter and can't be underestimated it's allowed McGovern to come in and learn his craft.

defence is above average and mid is averages with a severe lack of depth

Out premiership window will remain open whilst that forward line can stay on top of it's game. Unless we can start bringing the mid up to Premiership standard, looks like the crouch boys have the weight of the whole club on their shoulders ATM as they are the next gen.

Lol, like percentage takes into account easy beats like Essendon & Brisbane last year... When top teams usually gained 5% playing them... so if you played them an extra time like Geelong, then you are an easy 4 points & percentage boost better off.
On another day he would have attacked someone for such a simple view. All I said was we weren't the best team in 97 or 98. That doesn't mean we didn't deserve it.

Sometimes you just need to shrug :p

Our backline is rock solid and forward line the best in comp.

We lack maturity in our midfiled and bjg bodies.

Once the Crouch brothers hit 50 games ai reckon we will be a genuine top four chance.

One thing we dont really have that Sydney andthe Bulldogs have is that tall big bodied mid. The players I can see playing that role someday are McGovern, Greenwood or maybe Lynch.

The odds are neither will become that guy though.

Hawthorn won flags without this guy but it is a trend going forward.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Our backline is rock solid and forward line the best in comp.

We lack maturity in our midfiled and bjg bodies.

Once the Crouch brothers hit 50 games ai reckon we will be a genuine top four chance.

One thing we dont really have that Sydney andthe Bulldogs have is that tall big bodied mid. The players I can see playing that role someday are McGovern, Greenwood or maybe Lynch.

The odds are neither will become that guy though.

Hawthorn won flags without this guy but it is a trend going forward.

Both Hawthorn and Geelong were dominant without a bifg body mid, not just won a premiership like the bulldogs they won multiple premierships, is a big bodied mid required, it all depends on the other mids and players around themselves.

How long can our forward line stay dominant, crouchs are the key to the mid, like I said the crouchs have a weight of expectation firmly planted on their shoulders, cant see milera becoming a dominant mid will be a good player a very good player but will need to fill out and get a lot more strenght to become the next Macca

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are Bryce Gibbs away. And i am not being funny here. An A grade midfielder with elite disposal.

Gallucci might be great in 5 years time. Sloane Tex Betts etc wont be great then. We shouldve bitten the bullet and gotten the A grader now.
Hawthorn and Geelong wouldve.

But we are competitive, do you know what our home ground attendances are?

We are still a shance this year but it will be entirely based on if the forward line can keep producing what they have been

We are Bryce Gibbs away. And i am not being funny here. An A grade midfielder with elite disposal.

Gallucci might be great in 5 years time. Sloane Tex Betts etc wont be great then. We shouldve bitten the bullet and gotten the A grader now.
Hawthorn and Geelong wouldve.
Gibbs is over rated.

agreed, "but unless Smith has a scintillating season with time on the ball" were the words I used.
We can trade smith if we have someone who does what he does on a fairly consistent basis or a different game plan that doesn't rely on him so much

Until then it would make our team weaker as he generates so many attacks from half back which is why we are one of th best transition teams from D50

In 2016 no Smith or shut down Smith = loss , so maybe it's time to push him into midfield at times and develop others ( Seedsman and Wigg come to mind, possibly Milera)

Watching the 2015 finals win over the Bulldogs was annoying, we beat them and the following year we finished 6th again and they won.

They improved but we obviously lost Danger so we had our backs against it. It was annoying to blow it at the end but we had a decent year so we have the makings of a very good side.

How many players are we away from becoming a very good side to a premiership side?

Assuming our forward line remains elite, our defence becomes elite which will happen if they continue to develop and Doedee comes on, I believe we need 2 players to have blinders to be a chance:

Brad
Matt

and 2 of:

Knight, Menzel, Hampton, Milera, Seedsman and Charlie to become good to very good midfielders.

Then if we can add 1 A grade mid in the 2017 trade period we should be primed for 2018.

If those players don't come on we are in a little bit of trouble and will continue to remain only a very good side.
Lock Matt Crouch in - he's the safest bet of all those and will rack up huge numbers this season

Let's hope the others push through . I'll back Milera , Knight and Cameron but together with Atkins the lack of size of these players as a whole worries me in big physical finals against the like of Sydney and WB

Seperate note but re WB - I think people are underating them , they almost had no right to make top 8 with the injuries and bad luck and will be a different minor round team this year

Great that we have made it a priority to address the bleeding obvious, being smashed in the contest by the best in the comp.

Still think we are a 4-7 team, but the Dogs showed attitude can go a long way to to improve when it counts. Dahlhous, Daniel, Biggs, Smith, Dunkley, McLean aren't A Grade players but played like mad men in the finals.

Great that we have made it a priority to address the bleeding obvious, being smashed in the contest by the best in the comp.

Still think we are a 4-7 team, but the Dogs showed attitude can go a long way to to improve when it counts. Dahlhous, Daniel, Biggs, Smith, Dunkley, McLean aren't A Grade players but played like mad men in the finals.

If you compare our team to the dogs it has a lot more positives with a forward line that couldn't be compared, People were calling for Boyd to be traded earlier in the year so Jacobs is far more consistent and a much better ruckmen, I prefer our defence there midfield depth is greater than ours but their no 1 midfielder Bonts is slightly behind Sloane in my opinion. But is it their attitude or coach or both that got the job done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back