How Tasmania can have a team by 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow how did you get to that point? You don't live here, love to push the racist barrow and obviously didn't read my post. You should be a politician you know, you can fix every problem I'm sure.

The word "ghetto" is a massive red flag, and the assumption that immigrant communities are naturally going to be ghettos is a red flag as well.

The word "ghetto" is a massive red flag, and the assumption that immigrant communities are naturally going to be ghettos is a red flag as well.

You really do like play the moral majority don't you. It's no insult to live in a ghetto, most people who come here come with very little and they tend to gravitate to areas where they feel at home and can afford. Signs they recognize, people who speak their home language. You are the one here putting your own meanings to words, red flag lmao. There are plenty of poor white ghettos out there too but they don't count I guess.

You really do like play the moral majority don't you. It's no insult to live in a ghetto, most people who come here come with very little and they tend to gravitate to areas where they feel at home and can afford. Signs they recognize, people who speak their home language. You are the one here putting your own meanings to words, red flag lmao. There are plenty of poor white ghettos out there too but they don't count I guess.

The definition of ghetto

"a part of a city, especially a slum area, occupied by a minority group or groups."

Not exactly positive connotations.

Why? Cricketers do.

Please explain.
There wouldn't be 30 cricketers from interstate who would be on the list. Players also go there to save their career. In football you don't have to worry about losing borderline players it's the top players you have to keep and there would be 17 clubs chasing them every season. They are not comparable.

There wouldn't be 30 cricketers from interstate who would be on the list. Players also go there to save their career. In football you don't have to worry about losing borderline players it's the top players you have to keep and there would be 17 clubs chasing them every season. They are not comparable.

Well they ain't staying in Qld so I suppose the AFL were wrong to start the GC. We'll see when the pressure comes on GWS too then. So where do they all want to go then?

Just reading about Adam Cooney's comment about the poor turnout at the JLT cup at Kingston TO on the weekend.

This is the usual dumb mixed message from the ignorant types that are just embarrassing to read.

We get the 'support the game if you want a team', And whenever we get good crowds its 'you already support the game, no need for you to have a team'.

Do some of these 'experts' really follow what goes on? Or do they all just shoot off at the chops to get some attention? Neither North nor Melbourne mean anything here. The AFL name is mud here right now, so you know where Cooney can shove his message.

I know so many people here that have just had enough of the AFL & some of their mouthy sycophantic supporters.

I didn't go to the game & none of my footy mates did either.

If the AFL don't care, why should we after so many years supporting the game.
Agreed.
Thing is in regard to Cooney's comments, the match should never have been staged at Twin Ovals in Kingston in the first place.
AFL Tasmania spent approximately half a million dollars of Tasmanian football money on this venue when the home team (Tigers FC, formerly known as Kingborough Tigers and Kingston prior to that) were still playing in the SFL and were eventually pushed up when the forced merger of Hobart and North Hobart failed and Hobart quit the TSL to return to the SFL.
Whilst good for players in regard to playing surface and changeroom facilities, it is no better than a glorified country ground with scant facilities for spectators.
Little to no undercover seating, poor toilet facilities, poor kiosk and bar facilities, poor access, no public transport to the venue, poor parking facilities, the nearby bypass still not ready, not close to anything.
It looks neat but is totally inadequate.
This match 100% should have been staged at North Hobart where it would easily have pulled 5,000 people.
In years to come Twin Ovals might be considered worthy of staging a match at this level but not at the moment. Ridiculous.

You're right it's not. That's one of the main reason I believe they won't be adding a Tasmanian team

So no teams outside the big 5 Urban centres. No expansion to smaller markets because players might want to go home to mum. Maybe the AFL itself was a mistake, Maybe you think we should only have the VFL & other state leagues. ?

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/0a284fd7dcf752144ea46e2892d499f6

AFL chief executive Gill McLachlan will wait until after the state election on Saturday to head south for discussions on the current crisis engulfing Tasmanian football.

Mr McLachlan announced on February 19 he would visit Tasmania in “coming weeks” but he is still to confirm a date.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said yesterday Mr McLachlan would not be heading to Tasmania before Saturday.

“His schedule will be confirmed publicly after that,” Mr Keane said.

The AFL has not clarified whether Mr McLachlan would travel after that date even if a new premier has not been installed as a result of a hung parliament.

When he does arrive, Mr McLachlan is expected to bring with him an AFL strategy team to meet with new AFL Tasmania chief executive Trisha Squires.

Ms Squires sent an emergency call to the AFL after Burnie recently followed Devonport in withdrawing from the Tasmanian State League.

The second North-West club’s departure from the statewide league coincided with former AFL Tasmania chief executive Rob Auld being promoted to the AFL’s head of game development in Melbourne.

When quizzed about the health of Tasmanian football, Mr McLachlan said the AFL “had a plan” for the state.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/0a284fd7dcf752144ea46e2892d499f6

AFL chief executive Gill McLachlan will wait until after the state election on Saturday to head south for discussions on the current crisis engulfing Tasmanian football.

Mr McLachlan announced on February 19 he would visit Tasmania in “coming weeks” but he is still to confirm a date.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said yesterday Mr McLachlan would not be heading to Tasmania before Saturday.

“His schedule will be confirmed publicly after that,” Mr Keane said.

The AFL has not clarified whether Mr McLachlan would travel after that date even if a new premier has not been installed as a result of a hung parliament.

When he does arrive, Mr McLachlan is expected to bring with him an AFL strategy team to meet with new AFL Tasmania chief executive Trisha Squires.

Ms Squires sent an emergency call to the AFL after Burnie recently followed Devonport in withdrawing from the Tasmanian State League.

The second North-West club’s departure from the statewide league coincided with former AFL Tasmania chief executive Rob Auld being promoted to the AFL’s head of game development in Melbourne.

When quizzed about the health of Tasmanian football, Mr McLachlan said the AFL “had a plan” for the state.

Smart move by Gil not to get caught up in their politics.

Smart move by Gil not to get caught up in their politics.

They have been since Hawthorn were gifted Launceston. The AFL are tarnished with the current mess whether he comes or not.

As for 'a plan', maybe 'another plan', or 'another, different plan', or perhaps, a completely different plan, which looks like the last different plan?

Who knows. He'll just tell everyone here how good 'his plan' will be for Tasmanian football. Then the curtain will be lowered, & roadshow will leave again.

Just reading about Adam Cooney's comment about the poor turnout at the JLT cup at Kingston TO on the weekend.

This is the usual dumb mixed message from the ignorant types that are just embarrassing to read.

We get the 'support the game if you want a team', And whenever we get good crowds its 'you already support the game, no need for you to have a team'.

Do some of these 'experts' really follow what goes on? Or do they all just shoot off at the chops to get some attention? Neither North nor Melbourne mean anything here. The AFL name is mud here right now, so you know where Cooney can shove his message.

I know so many people here that have just had enough of the AFL & some of their mouthy sycophantic supporters.

I didn't go to the game & none of my footy mates did either.

If the AFL don't care, why should we after so many years supporting the game.

Have also heard Terry Wallace and Dwayne Russell say the same things as well.

Tasmanian footy fans are damned if they do, damned if they don't; if they'd packed out the place on Saturday, Vic media types would've assumed it showed Tasmanians were taking to North and showing that there's no desire for a local team; if they don't turn up they get castigated for not showing up to supposedly show how passionate they are.

Perhaps a portion of Tasmanian footy fans have worked out that the AFL take them for granted and they're just used as a cash cow by Vic footy sides (and their state government) while their local leagues wither and die. A perfect recipe for interest in footy to fade away in the long-term I reckon.

Have also heard Terry Wallace and Dwayne Russell say the same things as well.

Tasmanian footy fans are damned if they do, damned if they don't; if they'd packed out the place on Saturday, Vic media types would've assumed it showed Tasmanians were taking to North and showing that there's no desire for a local team; if they don't turn up they get castigated for not showing up to supposedly show how passionate they are.

Perhaps a portion of Tasmanian footy fans have worked out that the AFL take them for granted and they're just used as a cash cow by Vic footy sides (and their state government) while their local leagues wither and die. A perfect recipe for interest in footy to fade away in the long-term I reckon.

Sort of I guess.The game here is definitely in trouble.

Their certainly is a lot of comment about the shabby treatment we've copped from mainland football interests, basically forever. When you produce players, you'd get virtually nothing back but some clearance fees. Then even that's been stopped. Hence the feeding frenzy by cashed up (relatively) VFL & NEAFL clubs. AFL money goes mainly into AFLTas salaries & some pissy 'elite' development projects with very lowly experienced coaches. The money spent on the TSL is minimal to the demands on the competition.

The AFL couldn't have achieved the demise of the production line of players & the virtual collapse of tier 2 football in this state any better, than if they'd deliberately planned it so. Amazing really.

People will go to AFL games. But whats the interest in some JLT practise match between teams we have no affiliation for. Then put it on the outskirts of Hobart at a state league oval thats up a single lane road. WHO in gawds name organised that crap??? People here have copped shyte, but enough was enough.

Then the gravy train boys say we dont deserve football!!! Good, FK orf then.

:D

Do you honestly reckon the people that go to the Tassie games, do it as some kind of political statement?

I'll tell you why they go mate:

1) They barrack for North.
2) They barrack for Hawthorn.
3) They barrack for the visiting teams.
4) They like to go and watch AFL footy.

That's it!

Last edited:
:D

Do you honestly reckon the people that go to the Tassie games, do it as some kind of political statement?

I'll tell you why they go mate:

1) They barrack for North.
2) They barrack for Hawthorn.
3) They barrack for the visiting teams.
4) They like to go and watch AFL footy.

That's it!

If they go because they barrack for North, or Melbourne, Those clubs don't have much pull in Tasmania looking at last Saturdays JLT roll up.

Maybe some people buy memberships to go & watch the other sides at a discounted price? Clearly not North anyway.

I see the Hobart mercury has a petition up and running.............begging the AFL for money.

Not one single mention of Tasmanian's or their politicians pulling their collective fingers out of their collective arses and fixing up their stuff ups.

It's pathetic.

Why do anything different to the TAS govt always demanding handouts from the Fed govt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back