How to lose 20kg

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't worry too much about diets and avoiding foods. That was my biggest issue, following a strict diet.

I agree, though it would be good practice to keep a calorie diet for a few weeks, just so you get better at knowing where "wasted" calories are, that is, foods whose calorie content far outweighs the joy you get out of consuming them.

Soft Drink, fruit juices are a good example.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
I agree, though it would be good practice to keep a calorie diet for a few weeks, just so you get better at knowing where "wasted" calories are, that is, foods whose calorie content far outweighs the joy you get out of consuming them.

Soft Drink, fruit juices are a good example.
I will literally eat pasta chocolate anything I want until I crack 2000 calories. Doing that enables me to eat anything I want but it also enables me to stay focused and on track. One thing I don't do is drink my calories. Such a waste

I have my days... just trying to walk as much as I can. I still snack super late and eat so much smiths chips.
Night-snacking is my issue as well.

I've resorted to a glass of kombucha after dinner then soda water to try and fill up. In a cutting phase for a gig I have in early March so that helps with motivation.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I lost 20kgs (104 to 84) in the twelve months between November 2019 and November 2020. Have maintained at 84-85kgs since.

Basically followed a high fat low carb/keto (Mark Sisson) diet, combined with MAF aerobic walking > running, and a focus on recovery.

Started slow with just daily walking for 2 months, then incorporated 3 jogs a week, and built on it. I went from not being able to run 500m, to running a 10km race by last November. Have run another 10km race in February, beating my time by over 6 minutes, and currently training for a Half Marathon in May.

Put in the hard yards but has changed my life and for the first time has been a sustainable, enjoyable "diet" that is now my lifestyle.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I lost 20kgs (104 to 84) in the twelve months between November 2019 and November 2020. Have maintained at 84-85kgs since.

Basically followed a high fat low carb/keto (Mark Sisson) diet, combined with MAF aerobic walking > running, and a focus on recovery.

Started slow with just daily walking for 2 months, then incorporated 3 jogs a week, and built on it. I went from not being able to run 500m, to running a 10km race by last November. Have run another 10km race in February, beating my time by over 6 minutes, and currently training for a Half Marathon in May.

Put in the hard yards but has changed my life and for the first time has been a sustainable, enjoyable "diet" that is now my lifestyle.
what sort of stuff is high fat/low carb? sounds good

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
what sort of stuff is high fat/low carb? sounds good

So essentially avoid grains (bread, rice, pasta, flour) or processed carbohydrates (refined sugar as in sweets, cakes, biscuits), starchy vegetables like potatoes, beans and legumes, and sugary fruits like citrus and melon.
A general avoidance of high processed foods and fast foods.

The human body works over time to process these things and isn't meant to. Human bodies are still primal.

Focus on good fats - natural animal fats, olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, nuts like almonds and macadamias (avoid processed vegatable oils like canola oils).
Focus on natural animal proteins with fats - lamb chops with the fat on, steak with the fat on, chicken thigh or drumstick with the fat on, BACON.
Focus on green vegetables - broccoli, spinach, but also cauliflower, mushrooms. Pumpkin is a great low carb alternative to potato.
Focus on berries.
Focus on cheeses like fetta, and thickened cream (without added sugar) and organic butter.
Salt and pepper always!

Was it hard to not crave bread/rice/pasta at first? Yes, but I enjoyed the new things I could eat more, and now very rarely desire to eat high carb food. And I feel great.

If you want more specifics flick me a PM.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Wow I eat all those things you say not to.

I've got a long way to go.

But room to improve so that's good.

It's the first week that sucks balls then it gets easier.

I just focus on the stuff form the approved list that I really like and eat that...try and eat like a king every meal and you feel like you're not missing out.

Eat a good steak, some smoked salmon, eggs, broccolini, mushrooms. Tomatoes/avocadoes, nuts etc

The the main focus is to eat ONLY when you are hungry...until you are content...not bursting
I'm still learning that bit.

The main thing for me is removal of anything that doesn't add good nutrient and make me content and makes me hungry all the time...booze (for now), sugar, flour/grains, rice, potatoes, fruit juice.
I'm still eating a little fruit: some melons and berries

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
It's the first week that sucks balls then it gets easier.

I just focus on the stuff form the approved list that I really like and eat that...try and eat like a king every meal and you feel like you're not missing out.

Eat a good steak, some smoked salmon, eggs, broccolini, mushrooms. Tomatoes/avocadoes, nuts etc

The the main focus is to eat ONLY when you are hungry...until you are content...not bursting
I'm still learning that bit.

The main thing for me is removal of anything that doesn't add good nutrient and make me content and makes me hungry all the time...booze (for now), sugar, flour/grains, rice, potatoes, fruit juice.
I'm still eating a little fruit: some melons and berries

You're spot on!

Don't forget - butter makes everything taste good.

When you're in the groove you won't think about food. I went from craving food all the time (even if I'd just eaten, I was basically addicted), to not even really thinking about food these days. It was pretty bizarre. I still enjoy food, mind you.

I was very strict for 12 months but didn't find it too hard because I loved the food. Now, with the main 20kg of weight off and a regular exercise program, I can have those few beers at the footy every once in a while, or have those occasional fries on the side of the plate, and not fret about it.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
You're spot on!

When you're in the groove you won't think about food. I went from craving food all the time (even if I'd just eaten, I was basically addicted), to not even really thinking about food these days. It was pretty bizarre. I still enjoy food, mind you.

I was listening to Sisson on a pod during the week and even though he's only eating 1-2 meals a day, he describes himself as a food hedonist...he tries to make those two meals exceptional...that's what i'm trying to do.

Yeah I'm enjoying it in the main.
The booze has actually been easy to give away.
Apart form a white coffee I'm just drinking water or lime and soda.
Wheat gives me heartburn and bloating so that's been easy.
Been fully committed for two weeks now and reckon I've dropped an inch of fat around the guts...shirts all of a sudden fit loosely.

As for butter, I found a two pack grass fed New Zealand Ghee at Costco...I use that for everything now.

I'm basically doing the same as you started with for exercise...just walking, doing a few squats and push ups...my body has basically been sedentary for years....amazing how quick it comes back

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I was listening to Sisson on a pod during the week and even though he's only eating 1-2 meals a day, he describes himself as a food hedonist...he tires to make those two meals exceptional...that's what i'm trying to do.

Yeah I'm enjoying it in the main.
The booze has actually been easy to give away.
Apart form a white coffee I'm just drinking water or lime and soda.
Wheat gives me heartburn and bloating so that's been easy.
Been fully committed for two weeks now and reckon I've dropped an inch of fat around the guts...shirts all of a sudden fit loosely.

That's awesome. Stick to it. Changed my life - main reason I stuck to it is because I felt so good. Energy, clarity, no inflammation, rarely ill.

I also only eat 2.5 meals a day - a 10:30am shake (berries, MCT oil, spinach, almond butter, almond milk, bit of protein powder), then a 1:00pm chicken coleslaw mix with Sisson Primal dressing, then a 6:00pm dinner. Never ever "starving".

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
That's awesome. Stick to it. Changed my life - main reason I stuck to it is because I felt so good. Energy, clarity, no inflammation, rarely ill.

I also only eat 2.5 meals a day - a 10:30am shake (berries, MCT oil, spinach, almond butter, almond milk, bit of protein powder), then a 1:00pm chicken coleslaw mix with Sisson Primal dressing, then a 6:00pm dinner. Never ever "starving".

I plan to...I've committed to at least a month with zero booze and the food will stay the same
This is the best thing...apart form some muscle soreness from walking, all the constant aches have disappeared.
Had a pain in my right knee on and off from a year ago and constantly for the last 6 months...gone in two days...knuckles in my hands no longer ache

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I'm basically doing the same as you started with for exercise...just walking, doing a few squats and push ups...my body has basically been sedentary for years....amazing how quick it comes back

Sounds like we're exactly the same.

Let me know if you want some tips on building that cardio/aerobic base - my improvement over 6 months was pretty phenomenal and shocked me.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Sounds like we're exactly the same.

Let me know if you want some tips on building that cardio/aerobic base - my improvement over 6 months was pretty phenomenal and shocked me.

Ha not sure at 48/49 that I'll ever be running, but I plan on long hikes...my body quite likes the walking...maybe some swimming

leomarvel

Draftee
Mar 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Drink lots and lots of water — even when you're not thirsty. Staying hydrated as multiple health benefits and also aids weight loss. Cut 500 calories from your diet plan. This is important as it is the first hurdle towards your goal. You are what you eat, and if you don’t eat healthy, you will not get healthy.
Do cardio exercises — 5 days a week and strength training workouts for 3-4 days a week. In 2 - 3 months. You will get back to your shape.

Xanthippus

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
starting 40 days of fasting. I hope I can lose weight. whats the realistic goal of losing weight for 40 days?

starting 40 days of fasting. I hope I can lose weight. whats the realistic goal of losing weight for 40 days?
Depends on your starting profile.
If you're 6 foot 4 and 90kg just wanting to cut it will be very different to a 5 foot 6 200kg guy.

I'm down almost 7 kgs since the start of January, would be nice to put a couple of kg back on but managing a shoulder injury means my push days have changed for the near future. Doing deadlift twice per week and squats twice per week has a big impact as well.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Do you mean 16/8 style fasting or will you be doing whole day fasts? I started 16/8 a couple of years ago and it helped, not as rigid on it now but it's pretty flexible. The issue is you have to make a change that is sustainable. The results from the 40 days might inspire you to keep it up, or if you go straight back to current eating habits weight may come back as quick as it went. You might also feel like crap for a couple of weeks as your body adjusts which can make it seem too hard. When I started I cut breakfast which was also pretty much the only meal I used to get carbs in and I felt like garbage for a while.

I recommend listening to Mike Catherwood's podcast called Mikey Likes You, his earlier episodes give straight information on how to lose weight and he's pretty straight to the point, doesn't spruik any particular diet, just what will work for you.

Xanthippus

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depends on your starting profile.
If you're 6 foot 4 and 90kg just wanting to cut it will be very different to a 5 foot 6 200kg guy.

I'm down almost 7 kgs since the start of January, would be nice to put a couple of kg back on but managing a shoulder injury means my push days have changed for the near future. Doing deadlift twice per week and squats twice per week has a big impact as well.
I'm 5'10 and 100 kg.
Do you mean 16/8 style fasting or will you be doing whole day fasts? I started 16/8 a couple of years ago and it helped, not as rigid on it now but it's pretty flexible. The issue is you have to make a change that is sustainable. The results from the 40 days might inspire you to keep it up, or if you go straight back to current eating habits weight may come back as quick as it went. You might also feel like crap for a couple of weeks as your body adjusts which can make it seem too hard. When I started I cut breakfast which was also pretty much the only meal I used to get carbs in and I felt like garbage for a while.

I recommend listening to Mike Catherwood's podcast called Mikey Likes You, his earlier episodes give straight information on how to lose weight and he's pretty straight to the point, doesn't spruik any particular diet, just what will work for you.
Sorry, I'm fasting for lent. No dairy or meats. Vegan basically.

hi guys,

during isolation I have gained 20kg. I feel down and depressed.

whats the best way to lose 20kg and how long will it take me to get back into the shape I was in back in march?

thank you.
Wow you put on 20kg...l'm depressed l put on 30kg...let me know how you lose it when you find out...

Back