Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying officials well and increasing the minimum wage (and welfare) above the poverty line should not be mutually exclusive.

Wage suppression shouldn't be government policy, but it is.

Paying politicians more will not solve that, it seems to have had the opposite effect.

Don't think so, think that was in the Northern Beaches outbreak and only that one area

hmm they did… this was around “bbq man”

banned singing / dancing at nightclubs
and drinking “while standing at the bar”

hmm they did… this was around “bbq man”

banned singing / dancing at nightclubs
and drinking “while standing at the bar”
Didn't ban concerts thank god

• singing by audiences at indoor shows or by congregants at indoor places of worship will not be allowed

I'd prefer we investigate why people aren't checking in before going down a heavy punitive route with QR codes. I'm taking a wild stab that it's linked to laziness and conspiracy theories rather than pure assholery.
Slap on wrist for forgetting but more than a slap for deliberately misleading IMO

Well others can please themselves.

They are well entitled to assume all positive tests are accurate, and that subsequent negative tests are inaccurate.

But the fact that they had suspicions seemed to fall by the wayside when they needed to extend lockdown and had a scary story to tell.

do you even know how a false positive works? I will explain how it works in food (because its well established and trusted, and is the same as what happens with this)

there are two ways that they happen:

1) see something thats not there
what happens is the lab gets a result saying it's a yep, when reality is there is nothing there. This happens rarely, is unavoidable, has is planned for.

When a sample is taken a retention sample is split off from the original. If you get a positive the retention sample is tested immediately.

However, a quarantine hold and recall on the product happens IMMEDIATELY upon the first test result.

2) get a result close to testing threshold
Lab equipment has minimum detection limits because the equipment will struggle to get reliable outcomes at certain levels.

If you get a positive at these limits, there is always the question that it's an erroneous result. If available, the retention sample will be retested using a testing method with a lower detection limit.

Again, batches are immediately put on quarantine hold or recall.

Now you're probably asking "why recall if you're not 100% certain?"

The answer is in two parts.

Firstly erroneous results are rare

Secondly the consequences are death. If salmonella in eggs is consumed, people can die. Same with Listeria in dairy or e.coli in sprouts. You manage the hazard, and that means assuming that the product has a pathogen .

What all govts have done on this issue of suspected false results is bang on. Calm the farm by stating the sample may be a neg, but manage it in the meantime as if it's a positive. This is risk management 101, and any quality manager following your approach would be fired for incompetence (and may be potentially personally liable for prosecution for breach of food safety regulations)

I am wondering how long before the Australia card is forced upon us. It will no doubt have a built in QR chip or something similiar to track your movements which we will be assured will be deleted after 28 days.
Already happening. Mygov expansion is already on the cards

do you even know how a false positive works? I will explain how it works in food (because its well established and trusted, and is the same as what happens with this)

there are two ways that they happen:

1) see something thats not there
what happens is the lab gets a result saying it's a yep, when reality is there is nothing there. This happens rarely, is unavoidable, has is planned for.

When a sample is taken a retention sample is split off from the original. If you get a positive the retention sample is tested immediately.

However, a quarantine hold and recall on the product happens IMMEDIATELY upon the first test result.

2) get a result close to testing threshold
Lab equipment has minimum detection limits because the equipment will struggle to get reliable outcomes at certain levels.

If you get a positive at these limits, there is always the question that it's an erroneous result. If available, the retention sample will be retested using a testing method with a lower detection limit.

Again, batches are immediately put on quarantine hold or recall.

Now you're probably asking "why recall if you're not 100% certain?"

The answer is in two parts.

Firstly erroneous results are rare

Secondly the consequences are death. If salmonella in eggs is consumed, people can die. Same with Listeria in dairy or e.coli in sprouts. You manage the hazard, and that means assuming that the product has a pathogen .

What all govts have done on this issue of suspected false results is bang on. Calm the farm by stating the sample may be a neg, but manage it in the meantime as if it's a positive. This is risk management 101, and any quality manager following your approach would be fired for incompetence (and may be potentially personally liable for prosecution for breach of food safety regulations)

I don't disagree with almost any of that.

But the fact remains that as per Weimar, they got the test result of the Brighton Beach case on the Tuesday, the result was suspect and retested on the Wednesday, the same day lockdown was extended. Came back negative Wednesday night. Went through all of that day and the most of next day, including another press conference, before it was officially cleared.

They have to and did assume that it was a legit positive case from start to end. Where the distinction is, is that the suspicions were not shared with the public down here, as they are up there. Especially considering that it was an unusual transmission in the first case and it was such a topic of conversation on extension day.

I don't disagree with almost any of that.

But the fact remains that as per Weimar, they got the test result of the Brighton Beach case on the Tuesday, the result was suspect and retested on the Wednesday, the same day lockdown was extended. Came back negative Wednesday night. Went through all of that day and the most of next day, including another press conference, before it was officially cleared.

They have to and did assume that it was a legit positive case from start to end. Where the distinction is, is that the suspicions were not shared with the public down here, as they are up there. Especially considering that it was an unusual transmission in the first case and it was such a topic of conversation on extension day.

thats the way it has to work

until the result is in, you have to assume it will be an adverse outcome

and jfyi you cannot get an indicative on these tests while waiting for the result. the machine needs x amount of time to run, the results then need to be reviewed and then they can be released.

no nata accredited lab can cut corners (or their accreditation gets yanked), so there is no way the wednesday evening outcome could have been advised earlier.

now some people will raise the issue of rapid tests. these are not for pcr (which the covid test is), and their accuracy is lessened (rapid tests are usually used as an indicative to dictate the need for for precise testing)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats the way it has to work

until the result is in, you have to assume it will be an adverse outcome

and jfyi you cannot get an indicative on these tests while waiting for the result. the machine needs x amount of time to run, the results then need to be reviewed and then they can be released.

no nata accredited lab can cut corners (or their accreditation gets yanked), so there is no way the wednesday evening outcome could have been advised earlier.

now some people will raise the issue of rapid tests. these are not for pcr (which the covid test is), and their accuracy is lessened (rapid tests are usually used as an indicative to dictate the need for for precise testing)
We are in furious agreement on this.

Sutton..FMD.. seriously what the f^"* was he thinking?!
NSW called in via Zoom FFS.. He has 5,000,000 people restricted to 25km and he flies to an event interstate that he could dial into.
His judgement is shot, he needed to go about 10 months ago.

Daniel Andrews' hubris has rubbed off on him "me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me BEAST me me me me me me me me fleeting me me me me me fleeting beast me me me me me"

NSW called in via Zoom FFS.. He has 5,000,000 people restricted to 25km and he flies to an event interstate that he could dial into.

Yeah the optics are poor. Reminds me of the guy in the US who advised his constituents not to travel for thanksgiving, and then travelled for thanksgiving.

same campaigner who says our contract tracers are gold standard

We are in furious agreement on this.

Then why shitcan a govt when they treat a suspected false positive as a positive until confirmed?

Your suggestion they should have reduced restrictions prior to the retention test result being known contradicts this

Contact tracing this time has been fine. You seem stuck in 2020.
we lock down after 5 cases

surely doesn't have faith in the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back