If we make the 8, can anything happen?

If we make the 8, can anything happen?

• Yes

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s our winning culture done for us? We aren’t talking about being crap for years, just cashing in this year.

Melbourne will be measured on how they perform over the next few years not when they were s**t.

You are also being selective, Hawks and Richmond have won flags on the back of poor years.

Yep they have, but they diddbt try to lose in those years and didnt make losing part of their culture. Melbourne’s turn around will he judged on the future, but their period of tanking and setting up a losing culture stiffled their turn around by 5-6 years. Same with Carlton. I have no problen with being s**t and getting a low draft pick. I have no problem with playing youth with an eye for the future. But setting up spankings and a losing culture is not good for football teams.

Let’s beat Richmond next week and then we can think that way..

If we make it it would mean we are in superb form and would be hard to beat so of course we are a chance based on that scenario..

The Freo, Port and GWS games we should have won are hurting badly. Win 2 of them and we are just outside top 4 and all 3 which we realistically should have and we are equal second.. going to be so many what ifs this year..

When you have a list like ours, preparing for next year and trying to make finals are not mutually exclusive.

I wish these people would explain what they actually mean by preparing for next year. As if playing our best team isnt doing exactly that.

Realistically if we dont get 1 win from the next 2 we are done for finals and we can deal with that reality then. But right now we still have a shot at making the 8.

If we make it, I reckon we have a decent shot at going through to a semi. After that, well it gets even harder as finals do but we may as well have a crack.

There is no sound argument for doing anything but what we are doing. The only debate is who is actually in the best 22.

Yep they have, but they diddbt try to lose in those years and didnt make losing part of their culture. Melbourne’s turn around will he judged on the future, but their period of tanking and setting up a losing culture stiffled their turn around by 5-6 years. Same with Carlton. I have no problen with being s**t and getting a low draft pick. I have no problem with playing youth with an eye for the future. But setting up spankings and a losing culture is not good for football teams.
Can also include Collingwood to teams that won a flag based on s**t years.

I don’t expect the club to tank and we aren’t setting up a losing culture if we miss the 8. This year has been a s**t show for a number of reasons. But if we play injured players, or bring back players too early in some hope of scraping into 8th spot, then they are deluded idiots. Also when it comes to selection, Mackay should not be picked ahead of a Galluci, that serves no purpose.

Anybody thinking we should tank can just **** off and support another team, you know who you are there's a few on this thread, we probably won't make it but never stop trying. We will give it a bloody big tilt next year, guaranteed, but premierships are never won in loser cultures. And if we do make it, look out.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good on you. That's exactly how anyone associated with the club or who cares for it should think, I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

As much as I talk about draft picks etc nothing compares to finals footy and I would take a slim chance at a premiership any day of the week.

History suggests its almost impossible to win a grand final outside the top 4. Which is why this talk of crawling into the 8 and winning the flag is stupidity.

In fact the irony is that our Club, is the only Club in the history of VFL/AFL to have played 5 consecutive away games and win the grand final in our 5th away game. Mind you that was in 98 and a far different finals system as well.

I dont think it will ever happen again. When the Dogs won in 2016 outside the top 4, they had two "home state" finals.

As much as I talk about draft picks etc nothing compares to finals footy and I would take a slim chance at a premiership any day of the week.

Draft picks are about finals footy.

Id take a premiership in due course over an elimination final loss now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History suggests its almost impossible to win a grand final outside the top 4. Which is why this talk of crawling into the 8 and winning the flag is stupidity.

In fact the irony is that our Club, is the only Club in the history of VFL/AFL to have played 5 consecutive away games and win the grand final in our 5th away game. Mind you that was in 98 and a far different finals system as well.

I dont think it will ever happen again. When the Dogs won in 2016 outside the top 4, they had two "home state" finals.
Good points. Though looking at the current ladder, if we somehow make it to 7th or 8th, there's a realistic chance that we might be playing Port who could end up in 5th or 6th! If that scenario happens, then that's a seriously BIG bonus for us. Win it, then there's only 3 interstate trips to make thereafter.

A lot of what ifs, sure, but what is a fan if there is no hope?

When you have a list like ours, preparing for next year and trying to make finals are not mutually exclusive.

I wish these people would explain what they actually mean by preparing for next year. As if playing our best team isnt doing exactly that.

Realistically if we dont get 1 win from the next 2 we are done for finals and we can deal with that reality then. But right now we still have a shot at making the 8.

If we make it, I reckon we have a decent shot at going through to a semi. After that, well it gets even harder as finals do but we may as well have a crack.

There is no sound argument for doing anything but what we are doing. The only debate is who is actually in the best 22.

Preparing for next year is playing the kids every week and ensuring the spuds are in the reserves.

Good points. Though looking at the current ladder, if we somehow make it to 7th or 8th, there's a realistic chance that we might be playing Port who could end up in 5th or 6th! If that scenario happens, then that's a seriously BIG bonus for us. Win it, then there's only 3 interstate trips to make thereafter.

A lot of what ifs, sure, but what is a fan if there is no hope?
What is a fan if there is no hope? Depends on what you are hoping for. I hope we load up on serious talent, return in 2019 with a healthy list and a good draw and have a realistic chance at a flag. I hope we don’t do what we’ve done for 20 years.

We just butchered the ball in the first three quarters and then it clicked in the last - the boys started to believe and ran.

At our best, we are the best. End of story.

They finally put speed on the game and started to play on. Question is why didn’t they do that in the first three quarters.

What is a fan if there is no hope? Depends on what you are hoping for. I hope we load up on serious talent, return in 2019 with a healthy list and a good draw and have a realistic chance at a flag. I hope we don’t do what we’ve done for 20 years.
As long as you still have hope then you are still my "friend". If we can win our next 2 games, then I'd say we still have a realistic chance of the flag. Lose to Richmond at the G, then tank, tAnk, TanK, TaNK, TANK!

Back