If we make the 8, can anything happen?

If we make the 8, can anything happen?

• Yes

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If and (it's a big if) by some kind of miracle they beat Richmond, then i think momentum/confidence would carry them through and it is quite possible they could do damage in the finals, especially with Lynch,McGovern, Knight,Smith being drip fed back into the side. If they get smoked on Friday night then I reckon it is definately shut up shop time.

All of them

So we want to finish bottom 4 next year? Thats our big plan?

We must be the only club who has a team who made the GF and then the very next year wants us to drop half the team just to play kids.

A bunch of kids wont win a flag and, as several teams have proven in the last 5 years, just playing a bunch of kids doesnt mean that next year they are all of a sudden AFL standard.

And possibly miss out on 2 SA gun kids

And avoid making required changes in our football program and club, writing the failure to win the premiership down to 'luck'.

Again.

So we want to finish bottom 4 next year? Thats our big plan?

We must be the only club who has a team who made the GF and then the very next year wants us to drop half the team just to play kids.

A bunch of kids wont win a flag and, as several teams have proven in the last 5 years, just playing a bunch of kids doesnt mean that next year they are all of a sudden AFL standard.
Which year you talking about? I think you are confusing this year with next year.

As for next year, if we bring in some gun kids and play them we aren’t going to be a bottom 4 side if the rest of the players perform. Irrespective it’s unlikely they would all play. But you put Rankine in our forward line as a quick goal kicking forward and we will better off not worse.

Our s**t games have been Collingwood, Melbourne and Hawthorn and that’s it!

We have hung in games and just lost which given our injury list has been remarkable.

We will know come Friday where we stand.
Essendon and Freo

They only had a couple of injuries, we’ve had stacks so our injured players haven’t had the rigours and wear and tear of a full season. Plus they came from a long way back 0-6 and had no wriggle room.

It is all about timing.
surely if we have made the finals it will mean we have beaten some pretty strong teams - we could wreak havoc!!

They only had a couple of injuries, we’ve had stacks so our injured players haven’t had the rigours and wear and tear of a full season. Plus they came from a long way back 0-6 and had no wriggle room.

It is all about timing.

Sydney had far more than 'a couple' of injuries early last year. They were missing a significant portion of their best 22 at various points across the first 8 rounds and even after that they had to rush many back underdone just to try and salvage their season.

A s**t game, in my definition, is you weren’t at any stage going to win.

In both those games we s**t the bed so to speak.

I’m a glass half full kind of guy unlike most SA people who are glass half empty.
You might want to expand your definition to include poor losses to inferior teams, otherwise your point is irrelevant.

As for being half full, that just means you’re not objective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which year you talking about? I think you are confusing this year with next year.

As for next year, if we bring in some gun kids and play them we aren’t going to be a bottom 4 side if the rest of the players perform. Irrespective it’s unlikely they would all play. But you put Rankine in our forward line as a quick goal kicking forward and we will better off not worse.

Im not.

If people want to play all the kids this year because its a write off as one member has quoted then we wont be setting ourselves up well for 2019.

The reason we are in a pickle is due to having to play so many kids.

Im all for playing tough with senior players and sending them down for a week or two but half a season? Madness.

And you can only do that if you have a fit list.

Who are our kids?

Murphy
Fog
Doedee
Gallucci
Poholke
Wilson

Do we go further and play all of them literally?

That doesnt even take into account Milera, Knight, Greenwood, CEY, McGov, Kelly etc who are under 50 games.

Thats a lot of inexperience to take into a gameday and a lot of wasted senior players in the SANFL.

Lets say its just the 6. To do that youd have to pick 6 senior players who you dont think have a spot in next years team.

Before we all rush and say but Doedee is a lock anyway and Fog too if Shooter goes so they dont count. Well maybe true but Smith and Brad Crouch will hopefully be back in 2019 and they are best 22 so yeah, its 6 spots still. And thats assuming Shooter DOES go.

Oh, but Sloane is leaving? Cool story, thats one.

5 more?

Who? Dmac and Ratkins cop it but thats only 2. People dont like Jenkins but a) his contract demands gametime and noone will trade for him playing in the SANFL, plus he kicks goals.

Im all for rotating the kids in to get some experience into them but it has to be for a purpose. Its necessary whilst we have injuries but if we decide to do it for the back half of the year if finals are out of sight then we are committing them to being best 22 the following year. But getting spanked teaches kids very little.

Who wants to make the finals?
If we make the 8 that would mean we would have probably had to beat Richmond twice, we just beat the Eagles, have to beat Geelong, have to beat Port, have to beat North, Melbourne and giants.

So yeah if we can beat all those teams then hell yeah we can do some damage if we make it!

If we lose to those teams we won't make it.

That's footy folks.

You might want to expand your definition to include poor losses to inferior teams, otherwise your point is irrelevant.

As for being half full, that just means you’re not objective.

The only inferior side was Fremantle but the side we put on the park that day was always going to struggle irrespective of the opposition.

I’m more than objective and work thru things logically without emotion.

Our s**t games have been Collingwood, Melbourne and Hawthorn and that’s it!

We have hung in games and just lost which given our injury list has been remarkable.

We will know come Friday where we stand.

About -40 points I’d say

Here is my take on it:

GWS look like they can win most of their games. I think they are a lock from here. The top 5 are also locked in. Essendon have to play 4 of the top 5 plus have poor percentage, so I think they are out. Its basically between us and 4 teams for two spots, but we have to win 2 more games than 3 of these 4 teams. I think 14 wins guarantees us a spot in the 8, 13 wins may be enough, but 12 wont do it. Hawks have the easiest draw and they are a lock for 13 wins, so we would need 14 to get above them. We play the other 3 teams and I think if we lose to any of those, then that team will finish above us as making up 3 games on them from the other 7 is not happening.

Get it done: Brisbane, Carlton
Must win: Geelong, Melbourne, North Melbourne

A decent chance of top 8: Win one of Showdown, Richmond, GWS
Guaranteed top 8: Win two of Showdown, Richmond, GWS

OR win any 7 of 8

The only inferior side was Fremantle but the side we put on the park that day was always going to struggle irrespective of the opposition.

I’m more than objective and work thru things logically without emotion.
What was Freos side like?

And in this case you are not using logic. Freo was a very poor loss, there ain’t no sugercoating it.

As for the Essendon game we led by over 20 and lost. Essendon at that time was s**t.

Im not.

If people want to play all the kids this year because its a write off as one member has quoted then we wont be setting ourselves up well for 2019.

The reason we are in a pickle is due to having to play so many kids.

Im all for playing tough with senior players and sending them down for a week or two but half a season? Madness.

And you can only do that if you have a fit list.

Who are our kids?

Murphy
Fog
Doedee
Gallucci
Poholke
Wilson

Do we go further and play all of them literally?

That doesnt even take into account Milera, Knight, Greenwood, CEY, McGov, Kelly etc who are under 50 games.

Thats a lot of inexperience to take into a gameday and a lot of wasted senior players in the SANFL.

Lets say its just the 6. To do that youd have to pick 6 senior players who you dont think have a spot in next years team.

Before we all rush and say but Doedee is a lock anyway and Fog too if Shooter goes so they dont count. Well maybe true but Smith and Brad Crouch will hopefully be back in 2019 and they are best 22 so yeah, its 6 spots still. And thats assuming Shooter DOES go.

Oh, but Sloane is leaving? Cool story, thats one.

5 more?

Who? Dmac and Ratkins cop it but thats only 2. People dont like Jenkins but a) his contract demands gametime and noone will trade for him playing in the SANFL, plus he kicks goals.

Im all for rotating the kids in to get some experience into them but it has to be for a purpose. Its necessary whilst we have injuries but if we decide to do it for the back half of the year if finals are out of sight then we are committing them to being best 22 the following year. But getting spanked teaches kids very little.
I’m not suggesting playing all the kids but to suggest playing kids this year is going to hurt 2019 is crazy.

As for which senior players, who is suggesting dropping players next year? As for who gets selected next year, it should be based on form not just a golden ticket because you are a senior player.

Squiggle is predicting 1 point losses to Geelong, Brisbane and Melbourne. I don’t think my heart could take that kind of a pounding.

Imagine this board if we had 3 one point losses in a row.

Back