If you could take 1 player from another team

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's more what I was getting at - as Henry is gonna be a star of the future, and Stewart already is. Only Dale and Daniel down back would be in their league for you guys. It's certainly your weakest area at the moment, along with the ruck - given just how stacked your mid and forward lines are for the next 5-10 years
I agree that we'd kill for a Stewart or Henry, but I'd argue Keath is also in the same league. Was not far off All Australian in both 2019 and 2021, but missing 4 weeks of footy in both seasons.

Still, pretty stark drop off in quality down back, especially among our talls

He single handedly took down Geelong last year and got injured half way through this year with a season ending injury. How could he possibly be overtaken when he wasn't even out on the park?

His record in finals is one of the best of all time. Trac, Oliver and Bont haven't come close to matching his overall record. There's no guarantee any of those players will even get to see another grand final again, yet Dusty will forever he remembered with his 3 Norms
You're talking about the past and I'm referencing the now.

He played 16 games in 2021 and his level was well below Petracca, Bontempelli, Oliver and plenty of others. He wasn't on the same page. Not even close.

So, it then becomes how long does your runs on the board last when assessing the present ? That's an arbitrary measure. Being well beneath the best for an entire year is enough for me to say you've been passed. If he comes back with a vengeance in 2022 then obviously that discussion will be revisited.

I do reckon Naughton can clean it up, he was a defender through juniors and his first year so his goal kicking numbers are bloody impressive. Bloke will be frightening when he get that sorted. And I don't just mean his lovably weird head.

View attachment 1310381

He's a rippa mate. Damn you. And yep, Helluva head. :D

You're talking about the past and I'm referencing the now.

He played 16 games in 2021 and his level was well below Petracca, Bontempelli, Oliver and plenty of others. He wasn't on the same page. Not even close.

So, it then becomes how long does your runs on the board last when assessing the present ? That's an arbitrary measure. Being well beneath the best for an entire year is enough for me to say you've been passed. If he comes back with a vengeance in 2022 then obviously that discussion will be revisited.
Yet you base your opinion on players who had one exceptional year in their careers(Petracca & Oliver) yet your quick too dismiss Dusty's bad year.
As he said it was only 14 months ago Dusty dismantled Geelong in the GF.

Yet you base your opinion on players who had one exceptional year in their careers(Petracca & Oliver) yet your quick too dismiss Dusty's bad year.
As he said it was only 14 months ago Dusty dismantled Geelong in the GF.
Utter garbage.

Petracca is AA two years in a row. He won the B&F in 2020 and finished third in the Brownlow.

Oliver is the model of consistency. He has 2xAA and 3xB&Fs.

The game doesn't stop for anybody. Martin was passed in 2021 and it's up to him to respond.

No-one is questioning his legacy, we're questioning the best players at the end of 2021.

Last edited:
I agree that we'd kill for a Stewart or Henry, but I'd argue Keath is also in the same league. Was not far off All Australian in both 2019 and 2021, but missing 4 weeks of footy in both seasons.

Still, pretty stark drop off in quality down back, especially among our talls

Keath wouldn’t be worthy of carrying Stewart’s footy bag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Luke Jackson- him and Marshall doing 50/50 Ruck forward would be awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Utter garbage.

Petracca is AA two years in a row. He won the B&F in 2020 and finished third in the Brownlow.

The game doesn't stop for anybody. Martin was passed in 2020 and it's up to him to respond.

No-one is questioning his legacy, we're questioning the best players at the end of 2021.
Id argue his best in 21 was still the best in the game and assuming he recovers well from his injury ( no reason to think he won’t) there is no reason to think he won’t come back to somewhere near his best. No one is more lethal than Dusty when a game in the balance.

I’d also argue that the players you mentioned have not passed him (definitely not in 20), they have only started to reach the level he has played at for several years now. Even his “bad year” in 21 was better than most.

I’d also put a fit Nat Fyfe in the discussion.

Let’s hope they’re all firing this year.
Should make for some cracking games.

Utter garbage.

The game doesn't stop for anybody. Martin was passed in 2020 and it's up to him to respond.

Everyone knows Dusty cruises through the regular season and has done so since 2017. If im picking the best player to win a single 1 game theres only one option - thats Dustin Martin. These other players you listed are literally trying to model their game on Dusty and play a similar role for their team.

They have a long long way to go and I don't even like complimenting Richmond nor their players. Three norms just says all you need to know.

Utter garbage.

Passed in 2020? LOL
And i did say exceptional years which was this year for Oliver and Petracca.You know performed in the finals.
AA's & B&F's are all subject to differing formulas/opinions/processes.Would winning a BF mean more in a premiership year or in a bottom 8 year?

Everyone knows Dusty cruises through the regular season and has done so since 2017. If im picking the best player to win a single 1 game theres only one option - thats Dustin Martin. These other players you listed are literally trying to model their game on Dusty and play a similar role for their team.

They have a long long way to go and I don't even like complimenting Richmond nor their players. Three norms just says all you need to know.
Petracca's grand final (and Norm Smith) was as good as any Martin has played.

That's no knock on Martin, more-so it refutes your assertion.

Passed in 2020? LOL
And i did say exceptional years which was this year for Oliver and Petracca.You know performed in the finals.
AA's & B&F's are all subject to differing formulas/opinions/processes.Would winning a BF mean more in a premiership year or in a bottom 8 year?
Typo. That should read 2021. I've already said that.

But you said ''one exceptional year'', which was rubbish.

As great as Martin has been he had a ordinary year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back