If you could take 1 player from another team

We‘ll take the head fitness person from Melbourne please. That’s what we need most.

failing that a big forward - Naughton or one of the Kings
Sorry, Crows have already grabbed Burgess. :)

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Adam Treloar. So we can get something out of *n paying him

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Typo. That should read 2021. I've already said that.

But you said ''one exceptional year'', which was rubbish.

As great as Martin has been he had a ordinary year.

Martin started 2021 very strongly but became a bit patchy after that and there were official reports from the club of him having some issues with his feet. Also the team wasn’t functioning especially well and he was coming off a short break from a pretty tough and long campaign.

There is no doubt others outplayed him in 2021, but his form overall was still quite strong. It will be interesting to see how he returns in 2022, but there are a few possible reasons to think he could improve sharply on his 2021 season.

I have thought Petracca was the most valuable player in the game for a couple of years now but that was based partly on his age profile v the like of Martin. Oliver is a great midfielder but less adaptable to playing forward than the other pair and for this reason I think he remains just behind them, but he will likely still have improvement in him, whereas I think Petracca and Martin are now fully exposed.

Philth

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Naughton would fill a forward need for the Tigers.
Bont - versatile superstar.
But I'm going with Touk Miller. Very damaging and underrated player. Could end up being #1 in the comp.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Sam Walsh

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hard to go past Trac, Bont, Oliver, or Walsh.

But I think for the Saints we need a big KPD to free up Wilkie/Highmore and stop the big forwards. Maybe Ben McKay.

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Ben McKay

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Ben McKay

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Last year I would have said Ben Brown. Plant-powered, goal-kicking MACHINE. Exactly what the Dees needed to balance Thomas "meat and three steak" MacDonald. But now I am genuinely not sure?

I'm open to suggestions.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For Hawthorn I think the choice is somewhat easy.

Whilst it is often said you choose a quality tall over a quality small (as they are rarer/harder to find), I believe the game has moved to be more reliant on midfielders than ever before. Teams with relatively average forward lines or defences have still won flags but basically all competitive teams these days have a quality midfield, with flag winners invariably having one of the best 2 or 3 midfields in the comp.

People say the Brownlow is a midfielders award but the coaches award, all player of the year awards, etc are all completely dominated by midfielders as they easily have the most consistent, sustained impact, both in game and week to week.

Hawthorn are undergoing a rebuild (and lack proven quality youth in the midfield) and so need the youngest top line midfielder it can find.

That player (at just 21 and coming off AA, B&F and 6th in the Coaches award) is Sam Walsh.

Walsh has the added benefits of being equally capable on the inside and the outside which means that he could adjust his role depending on the other players that we develop in the midfield around him. He also sets high standards at training and is reportedly a good leader, which is important for off field/cultural value (improving the team around him) as well as on-field prowess.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Touk Miller

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
sam walsh getting the love.

Benga

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Adelaide- Mitch McGovern
Geelong- Lachie Fogarty
Freo- Adam Cerra
Essendon- Adam Saad
GCS- Jack Martin
GWS- Zac Wiiliams
Hawthorn- Marc Pittonet
Melbourne - Oscar McDonald
St Kilda - Jack Newnes
Sydney- Nic Newman
Bulldogs- Liam Jones
Forgot Brisbane - Docherty

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Last year I would have said Ben Brown. Plant-powered, goal-kicking MACHINE. Exactly what the Dees needed to balance Thomas "meat and three steak" MacDonald. But now I am genuinely not sure?

I'm open to suggestions.
I'd be keen on a creative half forward who can comfortably rotate on to the wing and on ball. So Zak Butters would be very high on my list. As would Tarryn Thomas.

Similarly an upgrade on Tom McDonald - ideally with a tall capable of getting up the ground as he does - would be nice. So Aaron Naughton is the standout easy option. He also provides cover for Ben Brown.

That said, I might end up combining all of that in to one player and just take Toby Greene.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Stewart can do it all, Keath can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Stewart can't play full back. He'd give it a decent go but he just doesn't have the height. He's spent most of his career as the 4th tall behind Henderson, Taylor/Henry, Henry/Kolodjashnij. As good as he is he's had the optimal run of really playing on no one at all.

I'm still surprised Keath plays so much full back for the Dogs. Even if he's aggressive in his zoning position as all Dogs defenders are. If they recruited a genuine full back and gave him the lesser tall he'd intercept more and be even more dangerous, but they don't seem keen to do that. He's a very underrated player.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Toby would make any team better, but personally, I just don't trust him. I'd rather take Hogan back.
I trust Toby a lot more on and off the field than Hogan, but you're right that he'd be a big question mark to bring in to a premiership side.

Jordan Dawson would be another fun utility to have, solves a lot of depth issues by moving him around.

Another I'd consider would be Oscar Allen because he'd solve the gap at CHF but also be an option to do some minutes in the ruck against the right match ups, therefor allowing Luke Jackson to be fully weaponised playing forward or midfield.

Back