If your club were to retire one guernsey number, which would it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Number 5 was retired at the Hawks for a long time following the death of Peter Crimmins, and was only used again when Andy Collins came along. Would be a candidate, but I doubt it

Never heard of #1 at Hawthorn or #19 at Adelaide being retired.

I assume the reason it isn't done in football is that numbers rarely exceed 50 (unlike baseball or basketball), so you'd run out of numbers pretty soon if it was in vogue.

I don't really see the point in retiring jumpers. In the immediate aftermath of an unexpected death as a tribute, sure, for a while.

Otherwise, I'd rather give it to a kid who'd be honoured to wear it and can forge his own history.
In hawthorns case we would retire number 36 to give the poor guy a chance

I assume the reason it isn't done in football is that numbers rarely exceed 50 (unlike baseball or basketball), so you'd run out of numbers pretty soon if it was in vogue.

Spider Everitt wore the number 1 for the Hawks not that long ago - don't remember it being retired as such either. Mark Stevens wore 19 at Adelaide until 2005, again, I haven't heard of it being retired.

Harvey's 35. How can you top that?
Why? As others have said, Trevor Barker's number is probably more meaningful. Harvey is now an assistant coach at another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane retired #20 last season to honour Simon Black's career and are doing the same with #16 for Jonathon Brown.

Only for one season though, Josh Watts was presented with #20 after he was drafted.

Not AFL but funny enough to mention.....

About 25 years ag there was a massive guy who was the standard 'country full-foward' playing for Panton Hill. He was big enough that the number '158' in normal sized numbers fitted perfectly across his shoulders.

I doubt that jumper was ever used again when he finished.......

I wonder what the highest number ever worn in the VFL/AFL is...anyone?

I think I saw a 77 in the late 80's, but given my age at the time I could easily be wrong.

Not AFL but funny enough to mention.....

About 25 years ag there was a massive guy who was the standard 'country full-foward' playing for Panton Hill. He was big enough that the number '158' in normal sized numbers fitted perfectly across his shoulders.

I doubt that jumper was ever used again when he finished.......

Weighed in at 158 kgs possibly?

If you retired a jumper number after a great has worn it, there'll hardly be anything under 30 available to wear in 100 years time! Silly concept in my books.

You only retire jumper numbers out of respect for greats of the club who may have passed on whilst representing the club. Darren Millane for Collingwood is obviously the example. Or in another sporting sense, you wouldn't want to see someone else wearing Phil Hughes number again, if they had allocated numbers in cricket like they do in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back