Opinion In 2017, we finally won a game when Matthew Boyd was out (2-10 now under Bev)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have not won a game under Beveridge when he has missed though, over a sample size of 55 games under him, not once.

#concerning
As I said in the autopsy, once he retires, get a piece of him in a jar, and sit it on the bench. That way he's still there.

Have not won a game under Beveridge when he has missed though, over a sample size of 55 games under him, not once.

#concerning
Don't think M.Boyd not playing had any bearing on the result of last night. We kick our goals we win.

Last night was merely a coincidence.

I think someone in another thread looked at the actual teams we played in those games and it was a lot of tough teams that we were up against each time.

I think that's probably more of an indicator to the result of the game than whether Boyd played or not.
Yep. I recall one of the other games was against GWS at Spotless. And was he missing for one of the Geelong games last year too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having Boyd would have been nice but I'd probably pin this loss on a lack of our number 1 ruckman, our most accurate small forward, our best lockdown defender and our CHF.

I mean Boyd would have been really helpful as a general down back also

Don't think M.Boyd not playing had any bearing on the result of last night. We kick our goals we win.

Last night was merely a coincidence.
Lost to Brisbane and St Kilda without him in 2015 though.

We need to win without him imo to put this to bed otherwise imo it's a thing as he'll likely get a few more rests throughout the year.

Lost to Brisbane and St Kilda without him in 2015 though.

We need to win without him imo to put this to bed otherwise imo it's a thing as he'll likely get a few more rests throughout the year.
Id imagine this may be his last season too, along with Morris and possibly Murph

Boyd might be a little unlucky on a few fronts (i) he's copped and tried to play through two nasty head knocks which could easily explain part of the drop off in form and (ii) there's probably two others players in Murph and Morris close to retirement in the back line so one of the 3 was probably going to have to get nudged and (iii) it seems his position is one we might actually have depth in.

Change any of those variables and could be an entirely different approach to his career this year.

Do we think that part of Moydy's reluctance to retire is him buying into his own legend? Must be tough watching his boys go down every time he sits out.
It would be hard to let go when you've been at the top so recently (Captain, Premiership, AA). It's also probably hard for him to believe that it's not just a temporary fluctuation of form and minor injury. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

I'd love him to get to 300 games but he needs to earn those last 11 games, not be gifted them. I'm sure he'd agree - he's been a great clubman throughout his career and he wouldn't want his personal milestone to come at a cost to the club.

And how is that relevant? Last year was last year. A lot can change in a year.
What do you mean how is it relevant?

Last year he was All Australian. And he was offered another year based on that. He wasn't buying into his own legend. He was performing. Would you have said no to another year for an All-Australian?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back