Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh
I've seen two Port games up here now.

And both times I've noticed the unusual interactions on the bench and interchange.

It certainly is something that strikes you when you watch them compared to other teams.

Last year against Melbourne the players were deadly silent, until they had a sniff. But they were never out of it. That was weird.

But on the weekend, they were exceptionally snipey at each other. I've never seen anything like that to be honest. I'm not sure if anyone sits near the interchange gates regularly and notices the same differences between teams, but it certainly is something that becomes fairly apparent quickly. A lot of petty squabbling. And the players that aren't are dead silent.

I'm not sure if it is Primus or what, but he certainly has straightened the team up, and allowing the players to play with more instinct. Often, they are looking inside, even if they can't execute, whereas last year, it was an excrutiating game style. Around the boundary, sideways and backwards, turning it over etc etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Was Primus sitting on the bench with them this week?

Primus is trying to implement a more direct gameplan but so far we've only seen it in patches. Most of the time we've seen a shambles as far as structure goes and players reverting to their old habits. It was great to see it come together for 90% of the Richmond game.

I'm still worried that our uncontested count is down. So while we may be fine in 'wet weather' conditions, we'll probably still struggle on the sunny days. But progress is progress. Good to see the players were more spirited this year.

in a very matter of fact way last night Garry Lyon said that Richmond are a better side than us and shouldn't have dropped the game. don't think that is true at all. critic to hit back at #3412354234

in a very matter of fact way last night Garry Lyon said that Richmond are a better side than us and shouldn't have dropped the game. don't think that is true at all......
Sorry, proud as I am I disagree. It was a serious boilover us taking that game. Anyway we are on the wrong thread for this discussion.

Thanks for the feedback homie. Not suggesting you're telling porkies, but as far as the 'snipey' comments can you give us examples of what they were related to? Matchups? Head over the footy? Hairstyle?

Tbh, I think good footy teams can actually have a crack at eachother and respond to it, you get in trouble when guys start having a cry about it.

Was it anything like Heath Shaw and Nick Maxwell needing Harry O to stop them coming to fisticuffs?

Seemed to be certain players.

Pittard? Seemed to cop quite a bit. Basic organisational stuff mainly, like matchups.

And I think it was Broadbent who seemed to be the nastiest of the lot.

Thanks for the feedback homie. Not suggesting you're telling porkies, but as far as the 'snipey' comments can you give us examples of what they were related to? Matchups? Head over the footy? Hairstyle?

Tbh, I think good footy teams can actually have a crack at eachother and respond to it, you get in trouble when guys start having a cry about it.

The higher the level you play the more prevalent this is. When the bloke upfield makes you look bad in front of thousands of people you are going to react. Mates of mine that reached the top (AFL) level often talk of blokes going nuts at each other because of the repercussions of looking bad out there. When your contract is coming up for renewal the last thing you need is some bloke missing you by hand or foot and it looking like you were in the wrong.

Big dollars = big tantrums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back