Workshop Indigenous Jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2006
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In 2009 the WAFL wore special National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) jumpers designed by Aboriginal artist Richard Walley.

I can't find them all like these 2:

457892_2_O.jpg

Best I could come up with are these pics:

534478.jpg

naidoc-246x316b.jpg

Would be interesting to see how this concept would look for all AFL jumpers.

Re: Indigenous AFL Jumpers

looking at the photos, and comparing with my memory

souths wore white with two red boomerangs,
ep wore their blue with black yoke with a boomerang below it.
perth wore their red sash with various lines and squiggles over it ( ive got a vague feeling that this is a drawing of perth- nyoongar style)
peel wore their usual design- lightning bolt, with boomerangs (like souths) on top, with the naidoc number panel design (from original naidoc game souths v the tiges) supporting their logo,
subi wore maroon with a gold weave pattern on the rhs (lhs as you look at them) with an indigienous style lion (I hope im not the only one who is ammused by this. it was very much in the style of old easts shark motif shown.

The Subi one had two of these stripes, one on either side of a normal lion head with two boomerangs in the background.
The cuffs were piped with black, as were the numbers, instead of where there is usually white which was a nice touch.

I asked the club if I could buy one, but they said not yet as they will be using them again in 2011.

A jumper that I made a while back would fit into the category of indigenous jumpers in a way. Its a saints jumper, but in honour of our indegenous history. It also incorporates the saints 2010 slogan.
actionsnotwords.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

300611sptnaidoc3_170q220-170q222.jpg

This is Claremont's NAIDOC round jumper. It's a real shame this photo is not bigger, because the jumper has a really cool indigenous artwork watermark throughout the yellow part of the jumper

260483_10150217635157331_366881712330_7494390_6091941_n.jpg

Not much change (can't remember if the new "xBlades" type Sekem collars were there last year), except for Subi who still have the neckbar.

For those that are interested, conflicting sponsorship (QBE major sponsor of course) meant that league-wide presence AAMI could not be on the Lion's playing strip. They have opted to keep 2 of their 2009 make jumpers since (home and NAIDOC), only in the last few weeks covering up the old WAFL sponsor "Belt up" with new minor partners.
Subi's away strip was remade early last season to have "QBE Insurance" in the centre of the jumper, while the SFC monogram was moved to the breast and no Belt Up or AAMI logo was printed.

As for Claremont, not much use in having a special design when you can't see it unless up close.

No South Freo? Weird that East Freo would bother making one considering that they have the bye this week and South are playing Claremont. Do notice that in the past, teams with the bye usually wear theirs a week late

Only the gold away/night strip. It still looks quite classy, unlike West Perth (TCL) and East Perth (Tint-a-Car :eek:).

I'm not too fussed - they've been amazingly loyal sponsors, 27 years now :thumbsu:

Home
253768_10150208357021996_186221846995_7563529_7229452_n.jpg

Away
226552_10150186113116996_186221846995_7355468_4583865_n.jpg

Grown to like the gradient too, the whole thing would look a little blocky if the outermost stripes were like the home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back