Info needed on Sydney - the city

Remove this Banner Ad

Visro

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2000
I'm guessing that because this is the Sydney Swans board, most of you will actually live in Sydney itself, least, thats what I'm hoping.

The info that I'm after is a list of tunnels (road, rail, whatever) that have been built or are under construction in Sydney.

I've been given a project that has to explore the foundation problems that might have occured in the construction of tunnels in Sydney, it does not refer to any tunnel in particular. The only tunnel I know in Sydney is the Sydney Harbour tunnel.

All I'm asking is that if you have any more tunnels in Sydney, that you can provide the name of them. Thats all I want.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

On the railways, the main one is the City Circle. That's been round for ages, plus there's a few tunnels around North Sydney and Wollstonecraft. The Eastern Suburbs line also has tunnels from Redfern to Bondi Junction, that was built in 1979; and the new Airport line between Central and Turella was built in 2000.
On the roads, the Harbour Tunnel runs from North Sydney to the city, it opened in 1988. That connects with the Eastern Distributor, which opened around 1998, which goes near the Cricket Ground before emerging at Moore Park.
The M2 tunnel at Epping is only fairly short, but has a rather weird looking fan to attempt to blow smog away. That's probably more effective than the longer M5 tunnel which opened about a year ago, going from the Airport towards Bexley. It's fairly controversial because of an exhaust chimney, but I can't help you on if there's any foundation problems in any of them.

And the newest tunnel is the Cross-City Tunnel which runs perpendicular to the Eastern City Distributor, running basically under William St, to ferry traffic from the city out to the Eastern Suburbs and down south along the coastline.

Plus there is a major pedestrian tunnel running under George St, taking people through a shop-infested "arcade" between Town Hall and Martin Place. In truth this is where much development will most likely be done, as it provides commercially viable walkways thaat keep people out of the rain and off the already crowded streets. There is also talk of moving traffic under-ground through the heart of the city, which would probably include George/Pitt St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back