Inside the Christian Right plotting a political takeover

Remove this Banner Ad

Fred Nile has announced his retirement, ending his long and awful career.

Lyle Shelton has been named as Nile's successor, continuing his political journey from Nationals candidate to staff of the Australian Conservatives to staffer to a Liberal MP to now Christian Democrat MLC. Makes you wonder the point of all these different political parties when you can just roll them all into one, campaignery party.

saw Fred Nile was trending... was immediately disappointed.

So...some religious nutbag who lives in qld to sit in NSW upper house. Makes sense ...

Lyle Shelton has been named as Nile's successor, continuing his political journey from Nationals candidate to staff of the Australian Conservatives to staffer to a Liberal MP to now Christian Democrat MLC. Makes you wonder the point of all these different political parties when you can just roll them all into one, campaignery party.
40 years in politics and did absolutely nothing positive that you could point to and say Fred Nile.

The WA fiasco proves its not going to work. We don't have the Koch brothers paying republicans to fight a culture war here. Capital in Australia have transcended and superseded the politics of culture war - you can see that in the inclusive and woke branding. if the Libs continue to preselect these nut bags they will be decimated - much less than 10 percent of the community attend religious services regularly. Most people have a gay son/daughter/cousin - even in rural seats. Most people don't want to see transkids bashed at school. The sh*t gender politics of the Happy Clappy types is also playing out in Scomos inability to respond to the current crisis - the Kennett Model is the way to go for them (as much as I hated/hate him) - socially progressive/fiscally conservative.
Yeah, the BCA etc. have an extreme aversion to the fringe takeover of the LNP.

As far as I know, the only unperturbed industry group has been the Minerals Council. But then, so much of the evil of the last 150 years can be traced back to the extractive industries.

Plus Australia is one of the least religious countries in the OECD. Even in the comments on News/Seven West/9 articles relating to any vague intersection between religion and politics, generally vibe towards "they don't pay taxes, stay out of government".

It’s always interesting to read old articles....

The relationship between Hillsong Church, and the Australian government has been growing closer since 2002, but now Dr Lawrence has commented that she was concerned about the closing gap between the Church and the state.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour and why religions act with impunity as they know nothing will be done to hold them accountable.

Greek Orthodox Church took tens of millions in rent from aged care home at centre of deadliest COVID outbreak

classy

I find it increasingly baffling the longer I live that not only do people still believe in religion they get elected to government doing so.
Its insane. I really hoped humanity would grow out of this nonsense in my lifetime but its actually getting worse.

I have a bigger issue that people believe God only wants one family of people who don't even live here to be out leader, because we are too inept to do it ourselves

I find it increasingly baffling the longer I live that not only do people still believe in religion they get elected to government doing so.
Its insane. I really hoped humanity would grow out of this nonsense in my lifetime but its actually getting worse.
Considering there’s is no good or defined reason to believe in an Uber creative being responsible for the universe and that the absolute opposite being the absolute truth, that the universe is entirely a natural occurrence, without the need of consciousness being involved, yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
But I want further steps......
We know they want power in this world because the other doesn’t exist, the supernatural is bullshit...
* ‘em, teach your kids to react violently if necessary, to their demands of power they do not have or own.
Death to Pentecostal cults and all Abrahamic cults, any cults for that matter.
Destroy tax free exemptions and deny them access to political arms of influence.
Deny the cultists the brainwashing of children before the age of 14 and see how long their lies and untruths last.
Call them out, ask every politician what their beliefs are, if they believe in the supernatural, “Nup, you’re an idiot and unworthy of a position of power of the people you would govern, you are wrong and need to educate yourself, now kindly * off”.
👍🤛

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oddly it's probably due to the decline in the religious population. As it declines the density of fanatics within it increases as moderates are more likely these days to abandon religion entirely.

When Australia had a religious (Christian) population in the 80%+ range say 40+ years ago, the political divide was between different denominations within Christianity (often linked to the underlying economic divide: working class Catholics vs middle-upper class Protestants).

Now that the religious population is exponentially decreasing and the non-religious population is exponentially increasing, it's created the opportunity for a new political divide between the splitting religious and non-religious populations which is the basis of all these "cultural wars" and "identity politics" battles we now see. The old divide between Catholics and Protestants has mostly gone in Australia as they now need to work together to keep their falling numbers up to be politically influential (the ACL was only formed in 1985).

The next census in August will likely show the Christian population in Australia will be in the minority for the first time since 1788. Fear of becoming the minority is driving a desperate counter movement trying in vain to stop the inevitable demographic shift. So for now there's votes on the (social) conservative side of politics in being reactionary to this shift and promoting nonsense such as the fear of the end of Western society, just like there is votes in being reactionary and denialist to climate change (science is seen as being anti-religion as well). It's why they now vehemently sook about our schools, universities and any other part of society that doesn't bow down and worship their ancient mysticism.

The tide will turn in Australia in 20-30 years time when the non-religious population becomes the dominant majority while the religious population no longer has the numbers to enforce political influence. When that happens a new political divide will open up (back to economics?). Before that you'll eventually see a change in rhetoric from "Judeo-Christian" traditions (a post-1950 political phrase) to "Abrahamic" traditions (chasing Islamic voters) or even "Faith" traditions (chasing voters of all religions) by religious conservatives trying to unite their falling numbers to stay politically relevant for as long as possible.

Oddly it's probably due to the decline in the religious population. As it declines the density of fanatics within it increases as moderates are more likely these days to abandon religion entirely.

When Australia had a religious (Christian) population in the 80%+ range say 40+ years ago, the political divide was between different denominations within Christianity (often linked to the underlying economic divide: working class Catholics vs middle-upper class Protestants).

Now that the religious population is exponentially decreasing and the non-religious population is exponentially increasing, it's created the opportunity for a new political divide between the splitting religious and non-religious populations which is the basis of all these "cultural wars" and "identity politics" battles we now see. The old divide between Catholics and Protestants has mostly gone in Australia as they now need to work together to keep their falling numbers up to be politically influential (the ACL was only formed in 1985).

Wishy-washy and non-conservative Christians lost interest from the 1970s onwards which led to their children and grandchildren disentangling from the whole religion. What's left of Australian Christianity is nutbars, self-serving nutbars and really old people. Scott Morrison represents them accurately.

The tide will turn in Australia in 20-30 years time when the non-religious population becomes the dominant majority while the religious population no longer has the numbers to enforce political influence.

Don't count on it. Christians particularly Catholics have been shrewd and refused to give up their numbers and influence in the Coalition and Labor.

Last edited:

And within two months...

If the likes of Christensen, Iles and Pellowe had his way, the LNP would be completely GOPified. Some might argue they're already starting to head down that path.

And that's a ******* scary prospect.

Around November 2018 I was convinced that the Libs/Nats were around a decade away from converging, both culturally and in terms of policy; with the republicans.

That process has accelerated since Morrison's ascension. They are pretty much there, just haven't quite declared it openly yet.

The death cult are here and they are in power.

Considering there’s is no good or defined reason to believe in an Uber creative being responsible for the universe and that the absolute opposite being the absolute truth, that the universe is entirely a natural occurrence, without the need of consciousness being involved, yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
But I want further steps......
We know they want power in this world because the other doesn’t exist, the supernatural is bullshit...
fu** ‘em, teach your kids to react violently if necessary, to their demands of power they do not have or own.
Death to Pentecostal cults and all Abrahamic cults, any cults for that matter.
Destroy tax free exemptions and deny them access to political arms of influence.
Deny the cultists the brainwashing of children before the age of 14 and see how long their lies and untruths last.
Call them out, ask every politician what their beliefs are, if they believe in the supernatural, “Nup, you’re an idiot and unworthy of a position of power of the people you would govern, you are wrong and need to educate yourself, now kindly fu** off”.
👍🤛

Tax free status needs to go...

And within two months...

Nile has already dumped Shelton and decided to stay on until his term ends.
You must be a complete piece of s**t of even Nile thinks low of you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back