Insightful Media Coverage

Yeah it’s comments like that which make us look dumb.

It’s always the players with unreliable kicking that suddenly become spuds to opposition supporters.

Did anyone call him a spud though? More just questioning his kicking ability. Casboult is a dead set spud.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Did anyone call him a spud though? More just questioning his kicking ability. Casboult is a dead set spud.
Just mean that people seem to easily discount all other attributes that players have as soon as they’re perceived as someone who can’t kick.

Guarantee if Tim Kelly doesn’t come to WC, people will claim he’s just simply not that good, because he scrubs a kick now and then

Woobla Stainz

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Perth NOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Real Madrid
Shuey's not as good as Fyfe - that's a fallacy

He's in better form and I'd argue having a better season. But that is where it ends.

Fyfe is in the argument to be the best player in the game - Shuey isn't.

Just because we are a better team, doesn't make all of our players (or the supporters) genius.
Depends how you look at, like the article says Fyfe is ahead in some stats but not by much.these stats say that Fyfe is a better ball winner But what is the point in winning the ball but not being effective with it, shanking it, missing tagets and turning it over. At best Fyfe kicks long to a contest which has its uses but there is a reason Freo had more inside 50s in the derby but only scored 2 goals to our 19 goals. And that is the difference between the two, efficiency

3592fb87bb69ca3282f2638daa5f7548.jpg

Could be an awesome tool.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Fyfe has been a fine player. But in a few years time, people will remember the way Shuey dragged us over the line in a grand final and beat Port with a kick after the siren. No one will give a damn that Fyfe made Freo a bit less mediocre than they might've been- and most won't even remember how many shots at goal he shanked in his one chance at glory in the 2013 GF. I'd take Shuey's legacy any day.

I really enjoy that you can clearly see obvious leading patterns which makes it almost symmetrical

Almost like there’s some science and intent to forward craft not just bang it long.

Oh * that reminds me, got to look at Melbourne’s.

Edit: it was as comical and inefficient as I thought it would be.

86974de4e8b6c27247770c81697b2046.jpg

Is it the methodology that's off or do players just love kicking them from the 50m arc?

Not entirely sure, though I imagine a good portion of those would be both set shots that players have a crack at with a low expected chance of goaling, and also kicks to the square that go long. I believe that heat map is for all shots, not just goals.

Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

"Only good at zoning off, isolate him one on one and he's no good"

We have all seen this stat a few times now and know how much Gov wins 1v1 contests. It is pretty simple really Gov reads the play and flight of the ball better than anyone else in the comp.

An interesting stat for me would be how often he wins in a wrestle vs how often he wins in the air.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Fyfe has been a fine player. But in a few years time, people will remember the way Shuey dragged us over the line in a grand final and beat Port with a kick after the siren. No one will give a damn that Fyfe made Freo a bit less mediocre than they might've been- and most won't even remember how many shots at goal he shanked in his one chance at glory in the 2013 GF. I'd take Shuey's legacy any day.
I will !

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast

3592fb87bb69ca3282f2638daa5f7548.jpg

Could be an awesome tool.

Also shows for all the bullshit talk about shot accuracy the difference between 1st and 6th is 1% total. We have a significantly higher % of goals than expected however i'd just suggest thats because JK, Cripps and a few others in particularly are much better than average over long distance than the general rest of the AFL.

May 28, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree, he's pretty measured and isn't a players' sycophant like most football journalists.

Honestly, I wish they charged 10 years ago and funnelled the money into more quality journalism. The fact that The West is now in bed with Murdoch is revolting.

On a side note, it cracks me up when Dockers supporters go on about 'The West Eagle' or whatever they call it. I don't think there is a single Eagles supporter at the paper.

How is The West in bed with Murdoch?

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
From the HS today.

How Adam Simpson’s advice helped steel Aussie cricket team

AFL Premiership coach Adam Simpson helped set Australia on its path to Thursday night’s World Cup semi-final by sharing a piece of advice that led to West Coast’s flag.

Australia has adopted the Eagles’ “role clarity” approach, which helped them cover the loss of Andrew Gaff, Nic Naitanui and Brad Sheppard and stun Collingwood in last year’s Grand Final.

“One thing I learnt from Adam Simpson was about roles,” Langer told the Herald Sun.
“Last year in the Eagles’ premiership, it was roles, roles, roles. The players were very clear in their roles, and Simpson said it took so much pressure off.

“So if we give our players roles and we select accordingly, it takes pressure off.
“It was a great lesson from footy and it was a great lesson for me.
“That’s why I’ve got so much out of my relationship with Adam Simpson and West Coast Eagles.”

Langer, a West Coast board member, turned to that advice during December’s four-hour crisis meeting in Melbourne as Australia looked to start again after 18 months of ODI misery.
World Cup players including captain Aaron Finch, David Warner, Glenn Maxwell and Alex Carey and injured batsman Usman Khawaja have repeatedly spoken about their clearly defined roles helping extract their best in the surge to the final four.
Australia lost 22 of 26 ODIs before storming into the semi-finals with 15 wins from its past 17 games.

Back