Game Day Intraclub Match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rough was caught behind a lot. Jones ran off him at will, Rough may have been told to play deep. Be pretty rare Rough does not follow Clarko's orders explicitly. Can't recall him playing on the ball at all. He did push up the ground once and took a lovely strong overhead grab.

For sure Tige. Imagine the pressure this kid is going to be under to perform! Were Carlton playing close to a best 22? We had Gunners, Howe, Burgers, Wingard all missing. Anyone else, apart from Titch?

I hope for Walsh's sake he has a bit of Luke Hodge about him. As I remember it, Hodgey had a bit of pressure when he arrived given the trade we did to get that pick 1, but he turned out OK! ;)

Scully, Birchall

Lol at Punky and Smith playing. Thought they might have been pulled out of AFLX because of niggles. Seems the club just flat out didn’t want them to play in a rubbish game.

Interestingly, one of the Melbourne papers (from memory, the Herald-Sun) reported yesterday that Breust and Smith had been given the green light by the club to play AFLX because the club felt that the players were less likely to be injured playing the AFLX than playing a practice match. The paper reported that Breust and Smith made their own decision to not play in the AFLX.

Great insights guys!
I’m sure we have one of the better boards that have intelligence as a staple part of information sharing.

I’m getting excited!

I don’t have a top 4 expectation but am certainly looking at September, as we should be.
The transition is almost complete with the kids coming on & with positive reviews.
Give this great club a sprinkle of luck with injuries & anything is possible.

I think if our struggle is going to be KPP then it’s has to be reviewed.
Brand was solid at Box Hill & should be playing CHB in my opinion. Plug & play as he can only get stronger & more confident the longer he is played. Sic gets 3rd man up as well.
BB = FF
The guy can mark. Barely misses from 30-35m. Crashes packs & can pinch hit to relieve Cegs.
I chirped about this before as a soloution & with Cegs sounding ready to go, let him. Give Cegs 70% of the ruck duties if he can manage it. He was looking great before the knee & if he is back to that fitness level with an eye on the 1st ruck, come on down.

Wingard Gunston Breust
Poppy McEvoy Moore

That’s a pretty slippery forward line

I am totally with you on McEvoy to FF. It will preserve his playing years and with the new 6-6-6 rules in place it must definitely be trialled. Hawks have always been renowned for not throwing their kids in the deep end too soon and until our hand is forced I think Lewis should be brought in when he’s more ready. Throw them in the deep end too early and they drown = loss of confidence that may never be regained. I mean look at teams like Carlton who’ve had many high end picks they’ve done this to.

Yep, I would have loved to see assessments of J Dunstall and D Brereton at the same age after 2 senior games.

Duds!

Brereton made his debut in I think a semi final at the age of 18. He kicked 5 that day and immediately announced himself as a champion. Dunstall took a little longer..

Buddy showed in his first year that he would become a champion. Roughy took around three seasons but even in his first year you could see he was something special. We are though taking about picks 2 and 4.

I love ML but the odds of a KPF becoming a good solid CHF at pick 75 are not that flash. Explain s why we kept throwing the kitchen sink at TL

Many report that Roughead passed off a bunch of kicks when he could have taken the shot himself. Great. In regular games he'd take the shot. In practice matches, he is getting others into the game. Not much point in him kicking the goal in his 14th(?) pre-season, when he can involve others in a team play.

Pretty sure Sydney haven't won a practice match since 1436 and somehow they've done alright over the last decade or so.

Just my two cents.

Many report that Roughead passed off a bunch of kicks when he could have taken the shot himself. Great. In regular games he'd take the shot. In practice matches, he is getting others into the game. Not much point in him kicking the goal in his 14th(?) pre-season, when he can involve others in a team play.

Pretty sure Sydney haven't won a practice match since 1436 and somehow they've done alright over the last decade or so.

Just my two cents.

Agree with this, Rough was somehow both...

a) terrible and being played all over by Jones, and
b) getting the ball in goal kicking positions 10 times but handing them off

Odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I would have loved to see assessments of J Dunstall and D Brereton at the same age after 2 senior games.

Duds!

Cheers Davo.
Yeah so many on here want to be the first to jump on or jump off a player and then claim bragging rights. I,personally, have no idea how Lewis will develop.

The Kid's first game was a blinder in a Semi. The only thing I can remember about Dunstall's first forays into the big stuff after coming from Queensland was a fat kid who ,quite surprisingly, chased and tackled. Unusual for a Full Forward .

Just a couple of observations while things are a bit slow and I have a break at work.

I agree with the others who have said Cousins was BOG. He was clearly best on from my vantage point. His field kicking stood out to me too, which was a touch surprising and he took a good contested overhead mark at one stage too.

In regards to Jones, I think people are getting a little carried away. I didn't feel like he dominated by any stretch but was serviceable. Spent a lot of minutes in the centre setup and is a nice size (looks quite tall compared to our other mids.

When he 'pulled out' of that contest when Kade Simpson came flashing through, I think it was a non issue. It happened right in front of me and there was zero talk to help him go back with the flight. I thought there were a number of players from both sides that made no real attempt and Simpson was the only one that attacked it with any intensity. I actually noticed Stratton go in a little half-arsed in the second that resulted in an easy Blues goal. We all know once the real stuff starts Stratts will be the last to do that. It is a non-issue to me.

Worpel and Morrison look like they are ready to cement themselves and kick on again this year.

I thought Impey was one of our best. He looks much better down back and he had some real intensity in how he tackled, pressured and contested in the air yesterday.

Issie looks in good nick physically. His run was impressive as always.

Breust just cruised around as always. His kicking to advantage is breathtaking at times, getting from a to b in the click of the fingers. I can see him having another big year.

Nash is an interesting one. He's alongside or slightly better than someone like Buddy in terms of his running capacity. The way he ran back Pagan's Paddock style yesterday was very impressive and resulted in goals each time. I think he has a role in our team as he gives us a point of difference and his athleticism is very dangerous. Once he starts being able to read the play a bit better and mark overhead he will be a very good player.

All in all a pretty impressive performance for the first real hit out. It was probably a bit more polished than I actually expected.

Duds!

Firstly I don't think anyone on this board wants the kid to fail, we can all recognise we need a successor for Roughy and hope its ML

But how often does a player look lost on a footy field then all of a sudden turns into a 150 game plus player? (not to mention a CHF which is one of the most difficult positions on a footy field)

He doesn't seem to know where the "right" spots are when leading and often looks lost. Is this something you can teach? i dunno. I always felt this was more of a skill you either have or you don't. Hoping this is more of a fitness issue

Impey was very impressive going back with the flight a few times.

I agree with the idea of BB at ff! The only issue is having a ruck and roughead as the two deep forwards they wont provide enough pressure the other way.

Could we do this
Mcevoy - plays at ff is the main tall target to kick long to if we have to.
Roughead- starts as a forward, takes the ruck duties after the center bounce, pushing into the midfield playing the extra mid loose ruck role.
Cegs- starts as the number 1 ruck pushing back into defence when he can to cover the long kick.

Firstly I don't think anyone on this board wants the kid to fail, we can all recognise we need a successor for Roughy and hope its ML

But how often does a player look lost on a footy field then all of a sudden turns into a 150 game plus player? (not to mention a CHF which is one of the most difficult positions on a footy field)

He doesn't seem to know where the "right" spots are when leading and often looks lost. Is this something you can teach? i dunno. I always felt this was more of a skill you either have or you don't. Hoping this is more of a fitness issue

I would plonk him deep initially, simplify his game, have him present up and veer back, allow him to run and jump at the footy and play to his strengths. He is noticbly bigger and he has great hands, let him play deep in the jlt and see what he can produce.

Not sure about the BB deep forward proposition, when the game heavily relies on forward pressure and territory, it makes no sense to have BB as our main deep key forward.

Although I have been going the 'told you so' in the "hawthorn no draft picks=poor future" thread, our youngsters have been battle hardened in a very tight VFL finals series last year, so its no surprise they are slotting in and playing roles,and overall look good. Stamina etc will be an issue against teams with more mature engine rooms

Most of the players have played the Clarkson system for 150-200 games, so they know it instinctively. They know how to play it, where to be and where to go.

Poor Lewis is 2 games in. Yes he looked out of his depth yesterday, but he has the talent to make it. Won't be in the side Round 1, but every chance he gets in there during the season.

Just my two cents.
Hope you have a great year Rough.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back